The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

49 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Yes, over 150 years ago one did happen.   And at one point Kansas was a shallow sea.  

If that’s the standard, Guess I better get ocean flood insurance:facepalm:.

@teachercd what does your sports book have on the odds of a 2025 Civil War?  Is it worth a bet.  It has happened before I’m told so might want to put some dough on it.  

Seriously though.   America IS NOT going to have a civil war based on the 2024 election.   You guys (and gals) already have enough stuff bothering you, please don’t huff and puff about that one.  

Are you sure there's not a scenario that might fall somewhere between "nothing to worry about" and Gettysburg bloodbath, General Robert E. Strawdog?

But now that you mention it,  QAnon Shaman was better at invading the U.S. Capitol than the Confederate Army.  

7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

150 vs 250,000,000 years ago - and one is geological and the other the political. Comparison seems par for the course for Archy.

It was meant to be ridiculous as is the notion of a civil war after this election (just because we’ve had one before :facepalm:).   Keep that worry up though.  I’m not gonna stop ya.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Are you sure there's not a scenario that might fall somewhere between "nothing to worry about" and Gettysburg bloodbath, General Robert E. Strawdog?

But now that you mention it,  QAnon Shaman was better at invading the U.S. Capitol than the Confederate Army.  

Who is a General Strawdog?  

But you bring up a good point on the Confederates.  What the hell were they thinking bringing an Army when all they needed was 2,000 ragtag protestors with signs and flags.   

• Plus1 1
  • Worth a Look 1
31 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The guy who thinks a reference to civil war has to meet the standard of the bloodiest war in U.S. history or it doesn't count. 

Usually a civil war isn’t citizens throwing daisy’s at each other:dunno

Throughout history, Civil Wars are quite deadly.  One would assume the 2025-202…one will be much the same.  But I’m  guessing you think our coming civil war will just be some states sitting around playing a modified board game of Risk to see who controls America? 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Throughout history, Civil Wars are quite deadly.  One would assume the 2025-202…one will be much the same.  But I’m  guessing you think our coming civil war will just be some states sitting around playing a modified board game of Risk to see who controls America? 

Roll those 6's!!!

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
36 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Why the f#&% would you think that? Where does this even come from? I went to the trouble of using simple words and concepts you might understand, and politely referred to the previous post that anticipated and answered your weirdass Archy deflection, including the bloodless civil war we're currently experiencing.. 

So answer the question: do you think there's a civil war scenario that might land somewhere between throwing daisies at each other (WTF?) and the deadliest war in U.S. history?  

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Why the f#&% would you think that? Where does this even come from? I went to the trouble of using simple words and concepts you might understand, and politely referred to the previous post that anticipated and answered your weirdass Archy deflection, including the bloodless civil war we're currently experiencing.. 

So answer the question: do you think there's a civil war scenario that might land somewhere between throwing daisies at each other (WTF?) and the deadliest war in U.S. history?  

There certainly is a scenario in a civil war where 10% of the population isn’t killed.  By your account, we’ve been in a constant civil war ever since the two party system became main stream.  

Is an actual civil war going to happen after this election?  NO. 

Will Donald Trump protest a close election loss?  Most likely.  

Will Donald Trump win his protest of said close election loss.  NOPE

Will people get mad and their feels hurt about the election if it’s close?  YEP

Will it cause a civil war?  NOPE

The country has a better chance of spending its way into oblivion sooner than any civil war will happen.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
9 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Let’s see. We have a major party candidate that is pretty much tied for the lead.  He says there will be violence if he loses. The last time he lost….checks notes…..there was violence.  

He’s already promoting the myth the election is rigged. He refuses to tell his supporters to not be violent. 

Good times….right?

• TBH 4
14 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

There certainly is a scenario in a civil war where 10% of the population isn’t killed.  By your account, we’ve been in a constant civil war ever since the two party system became main stream.  

Is an actual civil war going to happen after this election?  NO. 

Will Donald Trump protest a close election loss?  Most likely.  

Will Donald Trump win his protest of said close election loss.  NOPE

Will people get mad and their feels hurt about the election if it’s close?  YEP

Will it cause a civil war?  NOPE

The country has a better chance of spending its way into oblivion sooner than any civil war will happen.  

My Dude, I have not said a civil war or a Civil War is likely, just that it's more plausible than it has been in my lifetime and deserves attention. I mean, I opened with a joke about drawing sabers and Ken Burns. Stop trying to conflate what I've gone to the trouble of qualifying. 

But seasoned observers even older than me agree the current partisan climate and continued fueling of Donald Trump's ascendency is unprecedented and dangerous. And everyone on Earth agrees you've been wrong about the things we shouldn't worry about. The Archy move is to say it doesn't rise to the level of Gettysburg, so relax!

We could call it a civil war or just a wacky kerfuffle, but if you play out either a Trump victory or loss it's not too hard to see some ugly stretches ahead. Can you imagine college kids closing campuses across the nation and getting armed responses? Well you don't need much of an imagination to see that playing out on a larger scale if either side believes the other has upped the stakes in partisan revenge. Savvy observers have noted that THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT THE LEADING CANDIDATE FOR PRESIDENT HAS PROMISED.  Which part of scorched earth dictatorship don't you understand? 

Now if those are the ravings of an unhinged man who has lost most of his followers, and the bullwarks of democracy will step in and protect us, I'm willing to relax. Just saying there's plenty evidence to warrant legitimate concern, as many on this thread have outlined for you. If you want to do your part, I'm sure you will join hands with Liz Cheney to rescue the GOP from its worst impulses. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 3

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

My Dude, I have not said a civil war or a Civil War is likely, just that it's more plausible than it has been in my lifetime and deserves attention. I mean, I opened with a joke about drawing sabers and Ken Burns. Stop trying to conflate what I've gone to the trouble of qualifying. 

But seasoned observers even older than me agree the current partisan climate and continued fueling of Donald Trump's ascendency is unprecedented and dangerous. And everyone on Earth agrees you've been wrong about the things we shouldn't worry about. The Archy move is to say it doesn't rise to the level of Gettysburg, so relax!

We could call it a civil war or just a wacky kerfuffle, but if you play out either a Trump victory or loss it's not too hard to see some ugly stretches ahead. Can you imagine college kids closing campuses across the nation and getting armed responses? Well you don't need much of an imagination to see that playing out on a larger scale if either side believes the other has upped the stakes in partisan revenge. Savvy observers have noted that THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT THE LEADING CANDIDATE FOR PRESIDENT HAS PROMISED.  Which part of scorched earth dictatorship don't you understand? 

Now if those are the ravings of an unhinged man who has lost most of his followers, and the bullwarks of democracy will step in and protect us, I'm willing to relax. Just saying there's plenty evidence to warrant legitimate concern, as many on this thread have outlined for you. If you want to do your part, I'm sure you will join hands with Liz Cheney to rescue the GOP from its worst impulses. 

These are all really good points.

But, in all honesty, the chances of a Civil War are 0% for a variety of reasons. I think we need to have an honesty talk with people: there's not going to be a civil war because American's just don't care all that much about Democracy nor do they care about the things the leader of the Republican party says or does.

America isn't going to fail because of Civil War, it's going on a downslide because of the apathy and stupidity of it's population. We just have to accept that a large chunk of America simply doesn't care.

• TBH 2
4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

And everyone on Earth agrees you've been wrong about the things we shouldn't worry about. The Archy move is to say it doesn't rise to the level of Gettysburg, so relax!

Well that just isn’t true.  :facepalm:  Bringing up a possible coming Civil War is similar to the fear mongering people do when they call everyone they hate a Nazi.  It’s just not based on reality. 

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Can you imagine college kids closing campuses across the nation and getting armed responses?

Do you mean like campuses having to go to remote learning and cancelling graduations because of uprisings?   Well now that you mention it…..that seems to be happening now with good old Joe.  

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Do you mean like campuses having to go to remote learning and cancelling graduations because of uprisings?   Well now that you mention it…..that seems to be happening now with good old Joe.  

Why do you think I chose that example? 

Trying to make this easy for you, Arch.