Defensive Play Discussion

Mavric

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Nelson does a good job of setting the edge against the run, but he is not good at defending the pass. I know he’s not asked to do it often, but Iowa picked on him on the last drive of the game for an easy first down catch to keep the clock moving. 

Yeah, I'm interested to go back and watch a couple of those plays where he was in coverage.  As far as I can tell, the Strong OLB spot almost never has coverage.  So I'm curious if they used motion or formation or what to get that look from us.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Sure seems like the receiver crossing from the top sure altered his route to get a pick in.

Honestly a smart PI by Williams too. If he just goes down and his guy catches that ball he only has the deep safety to beat for a TD and the way NU tackles... I was screaming at the TV that they didn't call offsetting PI on that though that's a perfect OPI case.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Honestly a smart PI by Williams too. If he just goes down and his guy catches that ball he only has the deep safety to beat for a TD and the way NU tackles... I was screaming at the TV that they didn't call offsetting PI on that though that's a perfect OPI case.

You would think when the ref is looking at the play he would see that if he saw the defensive pi.

20 hours ago, Mavric said:

Sure seems like the receiver crossing from the top sure altered his route to get a pick in.

19 hours ago, hskrfan4life said:

You would think when the ref is looking at the play he would see that if he saw the defensive pi.

Williams was already hanging onto his jersey before the pick and he was already beat on the play.  

20 hours ago, Mavric said:

I wasn't sure if Rogers was really going to make an impact here or not.  But here he is as a redshirt sophomore making plays every game.  Really nice to see.

Yes, the D Line if not the entire front 7, are a bright spot on the team.  These positions are moving in the right direction and developing.  If they can keep this group together and keep adding to it, our front 7 should be good for the years to come.

37 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Williams was already hanging onto his jersey before the pick and he was already beat on the play.  

Contrary to what announcers tell you, you can hold jerseys. You just can't alter their route or impede them while doing so, and Williams wasn't until he got hit - he was already back in the TEs hip pocket.

It really doesn't look that bad unless you watch the pick receiver the whole time. He pretty much stops and makes sure his shoulder clips Williams, then theatrically somersaults which I have never seen anyone do on an unintentional collision. Again, I really don't think it's a case of the refs being out to get us - they're just not very good. And it's not like it's an easy job, but you've got to be able to see picks downfield like that. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't think anyone would argue that Williams didn't commit PI on that. The point is it's a pretty obvious OPI and it doesn't matter if Williams was already fouling him or not it should have been called on both and been offsetting.

• Plus1 3
21 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I don't think anyone would argue that Williams didn't commit PI on that. The point is it's a pretty obvious OPI and it doesn't matter if Williams was already fouling him or not it should have been called on both and been offsetting.

Also, would they even be offsetting? A lot of penalties are waived if another penalty or action 'causes' them - it's not roughing the kicker if you get blocked into them, not pass interference if the ball is tipped prior, not illegal touching if you're forced out and reestablish yourself in bounds, etc. Seems like PI from one receiver causing PI on a different receiver should just be on the first receiver, but I don't actually know if that's how it works. Either way, if it's not called on the receiver it doesn't matter.

7 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Also, would they even be offsetting? A lot of penalties are waived if another penalty or action 'causes' them - it's not roughing the kicker if you get blocked into them, not pass interference if the ball is tipped prior, not illegal touching if you're forced out and reestablish yourself in bounds, etc. Seems like PI from one receiver causing PI on a different receiver should just be on the first receiver, but I don't actually know if that's how it works. Either way, if it's not called on the receiver it doesn't matter.

Pretty sure the rule is that live ball fouls are offsetting. So, let's say you have offensive holding and defensive PI, they are both live ball fouls and they offset. Same if you have 2 offensive and 1 defenseive penalty etc. In the examples you mention, those aren't penalties causing another penalty. They are some sort of not illegal action, blocking for example, causing the penalty. I can't think of any case where a penalty that causes another penalty would negate the second penalty.