Defensive Play Discussion

Mavric

2 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Pretty sure the rule is that live ball fouls are offsetting. So, let's say you have offensive holding and defensive PI, they are both live ball fouls and they offset. Same if you have 2 offensive and 1 defenseive penalty etc. In the examples you mention, those aren't penalties causing another penalty. They are some sort of not illegal action, blocking for example, causing the penalty. I can't think of any case where a penalty that causes another penalty would negate the second penalty.

Fair enough, didn't really think about the fact that none of the examples were penalties while typing it. In a perfect world Williams doesn't interfere, and the big catch is called back by the OPI. But since that didn't get called DPI was probably the right move.

• Plus1 1

We need more push at the line.  Be more disruptive.  And close the gaps quickly when QB feels the heat, and runs through the pocket.  More drives get extended when we pressure and not finish it off.  And it also means the secondary and backers are doing they job in coverage.  It is a lot to ask out of 3 or 4 rushers, but still. 

Zach Duvall is an unsung hero in this win over Purdue. The strength changes in Stille, Daniels, Rogers, & Robinson is awesome. 

Although Nelson did have a sack today, I feel like it was just more unproductive play from Chinander's scheme again in this one. We didn't drop Nelson back out of a blitz on 2nd/3rd & long, so what good is he doing? He couldn't take on their left tackle very well at all - we've seen three straight seasons of this now.

If Chinander insists on Nelson playing that role, then put a guy like Tannor or Domann out to the outside of him. Have Nelson drive inside to pull the tackle in while the quicker guy blitzes from the edge.

I would describe it as pretty lucky that we got as much pressure as we did from those "base four" guys. Against Illinois it really didn't work because their offensive line was fairly stout.

I will say thought that we hit hard. Wasn't it Honas that dinged up Rondale Moore in the first half with a big hit? That's what you want to see. And Domann goes hard as hell.

This whole quote function clusterjam is really annoying, BTW.

@Lightfighter214 - You can spin what I said however you want. A QB shouldn't have as much time as Plummer did today in my opinion. Our coverage downfield was good enough that we made it work - but going for coverage sacks is a dumb plan, and I'm pretty confident on that.

Because our D-linemen have gotten a lot stronger we made it work and got some pressure and it was just enough today. Without Connor Culp drilling three good field goals this game would have been pretty frustrating.

Also, this would be my own "TL;DR:" version:

Our offense should be capable of scoring 30 points in a conference game against teams not named Ohio State, Indiana, & Wisconsin. And our defense should be capable of holding teams to under 30.

We did both of those two things today and won the game. So, that's some good football.

• Plus1 1