Biden's America

10 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Bidenomics

Most of the Republican Party think Biden cheated to beat the biggest moron in American history in 2020.

They've concocted an alternate reality to live in, it's no wonder they disapprove of his Presidency. They don't think even won.

Nevertheless, we should be collectively thankful that the economy is actually doing quite well and that the vibes of Conservatives aren't affecting decisions.

• TBH 4
1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Most of the Republican Party think Biden cheated to beat the biggest moron in American history in 2020.

They've concocted an alternate reality to live in, it's no wonder they disapprove of his Presidency. They don't think even won.

Nevertheless, we should be collectively thankful that the economy is actually doing quite well and that the vibes of Conservatives aren't affecting decisions.

You have roughly 25% of the population that identify as Republican.  Almost all of them are going to say the economy sucks with a Dem in office.  Then you have roughly 25% of the population that identifies as Democrat and they are going to say everything is great with a dem in office.  So, that leaves 50% of the population for the rest.  Which, one hell of a lot of people just simply think the economy always sucks because maybe they don't have a high paying job...etc.

So, this is pretty low.  But, things would have to be absolutely amazing for this to be over 50% approval.

I know our business is down roughly 25% from last year when we were still in the COVID demand craze.  That demand was unsustainable.  But, we are up roughly 21% from 2020 which was mostly pre COVID.

So....I really don't know what to think about the economy right now.  I'm on the fence actually.  It's not horrible.  But, it's not fantastic either.

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

You have roughly 25% of the population that identify as Republican.  Almost all of them are going to say the economy sucks with a Dem in office.  Then you have roughly 25% of the population that identifies as Democrat and they are going to say everything is great with a dem in office.  So, that leaves 50% of the population for the rest.  Which, one hell of a lot of people just simply think the economy always sucks because maybe they don't have a high paying job...etc.

So, this is pretty low.  But, things would have to be absolutely amazing for this to be over 50% approval.

I know our business is down roughly 25% from last year when we were still in the COVID demand craze.  That demand was unsustainable.  But, we are up roughly 21% from 2020 which was mostly pre COVID.

So....I really don't know what to think about the economy right now.  I'm on the fence actually.  It's not horrible.  But, it's not fantastic either.

Another important comparison is to compare our economic performance to our peer countries. Business is tough in a lot of places, but I can al.ost guarantee that America's businesses are facing fewer problems and have better outlooks than almost anywhere in the world right now. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Another important comparison is to compare our economic performance to our peer countries. Business is tough in a lot of places, but I can al.ost guarantee that America's businesses are facing fewer problems and have better outlooks than almost anywhere in the world right now. 

Yep...we are better off than most (if not all) other industrialized countries.  But, that doesn't necessarily mean everything is fantastic.  Don't get me wrong.  There are good things.  Inflation is down.  Unemployment is still low....etc.

But, when I discuss this with other industry people, we almost all agree that the next 6 months is a total wild card.  Nobody has a feel for what is going to happen.  And, when you don't have a feel for it, you tend to question how sound the economy really is.  Just because we are better off than other countries, doesn't mean it's great.

HOPEFULLY!!!! it's good and the next 6 months proves that.

It’s not just a poll of conservatives or republicans. Democrats and Independents were involved also.

Kamala bragged about so many Americans not having $400 in their bank account.  Real buying power has declined something like $8,000 since The Big Guy took over.   

• Plus1 1
47 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, this is pretty low.  But, things would have to be absolutely amazing for this to be over 50% approval

Would be classified as amazing?

https://news.gallup.com/poll/313070/trump-economic-ratings-no-longer-best-class.aspx#:~:text=Presidential Job Approval on the Economy&text=Trump's 63% approval rating on,May 28-June 5 poll.

Trump started 2020 with the highest economic approval rating in an election year of any president seeking reelection since Gallup began measuring economic approval in the current approve/disapprove format during Reagan's presidency.

Trump's 63% approval rating on the economy in January slipped to 58% in February, matching Clinton's prior record high in October 1996, just before he won reelection in a landslide. Trump's rating has fallen to 47% in Gallup's May 28-June 5 poll.

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1
46 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

https://news.gallup.com/poll/313070/trump-economic-ratings-no-longer-best-class.aspx#:~:text=Presidential Job Approval on the Economy&text=Trump's 63% approval rating on,May 28-June 5 poll.

Trump started 2020 with the highest economic approval rating in an election year of any president seeking reelection since Gallup began measuring economic approval in the current approve/disapprove format during Reagan's presidency.

Trump's 63% approval rating on the economy in January slipped to 58% in February, matching Clinton's prior record high in October 1996, just before he won reelection in a landslide. Trump's rating has fallen to 47% in Gallup's May 28-June 5 poll.

Too bad the economy isn't the only thing that's important.

Also, yes, there were some very good things happening.  However, he also was a major contributor to why the economy got overheated and lead to high inflation.

• TBH 1
54 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Investment in manufacturing is at a multi decade high, overall unemployment is at a 40 year low, prime age unemployment is at a multidecade low, domestic oil production at an all time high, inflation the lowest in the industrialized world with simultaneously the highest growth, etc.

Luckily vibes aren't how we measure the economy. I get that vibes is pretty much all Republicans can run on at this point, since they're morally and politically bankrupt, offer no policy solutions to help people, and who's political establishment actively assisted a moron into committing felonies against the country.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep...we are better off than most (if not all) other industrialized countries.  But, that doesn't necessarily mean everything is fantastic.  Don't get me wrong.  There are good things.  Inflation is down.  Unemployment is still low....etc.

But, when I discuss this with other industry people, we almost all agree that the next 6 months is a total wild card.  Nobody has a feel for what is going to happen.  And, when you don't have a feel for it, you tend to question how sound the economy really is.  Just because we are better off than other countries, doesn't mean it's great.

HOPEFULLY!!!! it's good and the next 6 months proves that.

I do agree with you. Frankly, until other countries get their economic house in order, a certain amount of uncertainty will persist.

Considering his opposition party and the economic conditions inherited, what else should the Administration be doing to help business conditions? Perhaps there's small things that can be done, but I'm not sure there's much more they can do considering Congress.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 2

8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Gas is going up but it is not insane.

Store prices are brutal

Stocks were kicking a$$ until this week but that happens

Housing prices are insane

Interest rates suck

The reports I'm reading are that this is a very temporary spike in gas prices due to production problems related to the heat.  Store prices (inflation) is back to a much more normal level.  Stocks have been good.  Housing is going to be interesting moving forward.  Interest rates are only that high because inflation spiked.  Once it's down for a certain amount of time, rates will come back down.  And.....they suck only related to where they were before this.  They don't necessarily suck related to historical levels.

• Haha 1

One reason it's instructive to compare the U.S. economy to the economy of other nations is because they could serve as a template for what the U.S. could do better. It turns out that other nations with different governments and economic orders aren't doing as well as the U.S. So while we can justly grumble about aspects of our economy, and perhaps figure in the temporary global pandemic, I want to know what an incoming U.S. President or political party specifically proposes to alter the economy. If it's out there, I missed it. 

2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

One reason it's instructive to compare the U.S. economy to the economy of other nations is because they could serve as a template for what the U.S. could do better. It turns out that other nations with different governments and economic orders aren't doing as well as the U.S. So while we can justly grumble about aspects of our economy, and perhaps figure in the temporary global pandemic, I want to know what an incoming U.S. President or political party specifically proposes to alter the economy. If it's out there, I missed it. 

YES!!!!  The US has done a pretty good job dealing with the global economic environment. Evidence of that is what @Dr. Strangelove listed above.  Like it or not, our economy is greatly affected by global issues.  If everything is going great around the world, our economy probably is going to be great.  If there are negative issues around the world, that's going to negatively affect our economy. What we need to know is what a particular administration is going to do to limit that negative affect we feel so that we can remain better off than the rest....even though we might not be as good as we would like.

One MAJOR part of what I want to hear is how do we continue to try to become less dependent on foreign oil.  We are producing at an all time high.  We were there before the pandemic, then that shut down drilling.  It's been coming back strong for a couple year so we are now back to an all time high. (even though Republicans don't want to admit that).  BUT....we need to do more in other forms of energy such as renewables.  Sure, there's a big environmental aspect to that.  But, there's also a big national security/economy part of it too.  If we don't need their oil, we aren't going to be spending billions and billions in these countries a half a world away and ending up in wars to protect our interest.

Yes, we need to hear their economic strategy and I don't just want to hear....bring more manufacturing back bla bla bla.....  There's more to it than that.

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The reports I'm reading are that this is a very temporary spike in gas prices due to production problems related to the heat.  Store prices (inflation) is back to a much more normal level.  Stocks have been good.  Housing is going to be interesting moving forward.  Interest rates are only that high because inflation spiked.  Once it's down for a certain amount of time, rates will come back down.  And.....they suck only related to where they were before this.  They don't necessarily suck related to historical levels.

Tell me where you shop, please!  Store prices in Omaha are insane. Loaf of bread was 1 dollar now is 1.47.  That is a crazy jump.

I don't think we will ever see Jimmy Carter interest rates again but I am glad I am not looking to buy a house right now.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1