McCaffrey's 1st Start

admo

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK....with the two plays I mentioned.  Can you really see a way they were Luke's fault?  1)  the WR runs into the mesh point, obviously someone was running the wrong play.  The QB and RB were running one play and the WR was running something else.  2)    Luke gets the snap, turns to do what looks like a Zone Read and the RB runs into him.

I'm not a really great Xs and Os guy.  So, I'm honestly asking.  

I'm not saying they were Luke's fault at all. One was a bad snap which throws timing off - but every QB has a little different depth to their step. I don't know if I'm correct, but I would bet some of the plays we saw timing issues were a result of split snaps and the personnel maybe only practicing the play once with each other. I would suspect we start to see less and less of that - so long as we get the snap issue fixed which seems to have came back for Jurgens. 

For Luke to have much success the rest of this year (and honestly AM if he came back too) we have got to establish a non QB run game. Currently teams can stuff our running backs with their base players and with no deep threat or play action threat they can walk safeties up and make it even harder to run and pass short. If this continues teams are going to spy the QB to stop his running (pretty sure PSU did this in the second half) and take away the short throws and force Luke or AM to beat them with mid-deep passes. So far we haven't shown the ability to do that. So, unless we start running better or our QBs start throwing deeper passers better defenses are going to continue to slow our offense down and stuff us in the red zone.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I don't think we will see much different the rest of the season unless we can prove we can open things up. NW/Penn St both realized they don't have to worry about anything happening past 10 yards.

I kind of wondered why it took Penn State so long to figure it out. Maybe it was just the uncertainty due to us having a new QB in place.

8 hours ago, deedsker said:

Designed roll out for a touchdown to Noa against Indiana.

Literally the only play I even remember of Noa.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

For Luke to have much success the rest of this year (and honestly AM if he came back too) we have got to establish a non QB run game. Currently teams can stuff our running backs with their base players and with no deep threat or play action threat they can walk safeties up and make it even harder to run and pass short. If this continues teams are going to spy the QB to stop his running (pretty sure PSU did this in the second half) and take away the short throws and force Luke or AM to beat them with mid-deep passes. So far we haven't shown the ability to do that. So, unless we start running better or our QBs start throwing deeper passers better defenses are going to continue to slow our offense down and stuff us in the red zone.

I would love to see Luke or AM throw mid-range passes often.  And deep routes.  I just don't think we have consistent pass-pro, and quick/fast receivers running routes (starters).  It's a combination of sorts. 

And I don't see corners playing back either.  Which tells me there are lots of red flags in our passing game, and it's not (all) on our QB1 as much as we focus it on. It's a little bit on them, but a lot more in other areas IMHO.

• Plus1 2
19 minutes ago, admo said:

I would love to see Luke or AM throw mid-range passes often.  And deep routes.  I just don't think we have consistent pass-pro, and quick/fast receivers running routes (starters).  It's a combination of sorts. 

And I don't see corners playing back either.  Which tells me there are lots of red flags in our passing game, and it's not (all) on our QB1 as much as we focus it on. It's a little bit on them, but a lot more in other areas IMHO.

Yup I agree. I think teams have us pretty well scouted on offense right now and once they make in game adjustments our offense completely stalls. 

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, admo said:

All of the defenses we've played so far felt comfortable leaving their corners on islands with our outside receivers in Cover 1 or 0. Doing that allows them to keep an extra guy in the box to stop the run game and can mess up your entire offense. It's also probably a bad sign for the level of talent out there, and I think that's why we've used a ton of 12 personnel so far (which is not Frost's preferred method of play) to account for that extra defender. But we're also about to play a lot of defenses that maybe don't feel as comfortable playing 1 and 0 with their corners. If Illinois/Minnesota/Purdue are shutting down our offense, then we have real problems and I'm willing to say they're schematic. We'll see.

When you really look at it, the "Frost can't coach/adjust" or "Frost went conservative" thing that I'm seeing everywhere is misguided. You can only do so much with any offense if your skill talent is making you play with one hand tied behind your back. I wish more fans understood this instead of just seizing on the most surface-level criticisms.

• Plus1 8