McCaffrey's 1st Start

admo

3 hours ago, lo country said:

I think what makes him look so "decisive" (I think he does) is that his progressions are read, rip or run....On a called passing play I think he looks to the first read, throws there or runs....Now there is a full game of film, I figure Illinois sells out with 11 guys in the box, take away the short routes and see if we can go vertical. But who knows, maybe AM comes out Sat......I am really hoping that Austin finally gets a say (not saying he isn't just my opinion) and we see some I-Formation, 2 back sets etc....For Lubick, I hope we see more of the freshman as receivers from the jump.  Glad the game got moved to FS1.  Maybe because we win?   All I know is the win felt great.  I really expected us to lose at the end or in OT.  Ugly win, but one of those dreaded "by 7 or less".........

He's still a rookie but they're gonna figure him out pretty fast if they haven't already; the 2nd half was pretty sad and without the big defensive turnovers we lose with that anemic offense. I think Luke will mature, I really do. Before this game he was just being tossed in there from time to time and seeing the dismal 2nd half stats that are all on him should be a wakeup call that the flag football strategy is over.
And we really do need to keep our most talented players on the field and quit designing plays for players, running them in and out like they're chess pieces. The best players need to start taking what they're given and making something out of it. I know we need good players on defense, but I still think Cam Taylor-Britt is the kind of gamer we could use as a receiver.

• Plus1 1

21 hours ago, BigRedN said:

What us with the high snaps by Jergen's?  If we are going to add some discipline, I'm having him run a mile at a 10:00 clip for each one.  It could be a worse consequence and I would be fine with it.  

Ya, sad to see the power running game of Wisky work and we are finesse.

everyone knows turf toe can cause high snaps.

• Haha 1
20 hours ago, ScarletRevival said:

I don't recall all of those beautiful long balls he threw last year.

Didn't he have something like 14 attempts last year?

Designed roll out for a touchdown to Noa against Indiana. Reverse pass to JD against Maryland. Designed roll out TD to JD against Iowa.

3 of 14 isn't bad for a backup in 4 games.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
16 hours ago, lo country said:

I don't see the greatness you see in Frost. To date, he is a middle of the road, maybe lower HC who in year 3 has the same issues at NU as in year 1....That's just my .02.   Do I think he has potential?  Absolutely.  But that potential is being blocked by his own inflexibility.  Takes a brave man to see what he is currently doing isn't working.  Red Zone percentage......3 rd down percentage when behind schedule etc.....Do you really think the O is that potent?  Do you not think that Betts/Fleming/Brown starting would not help?  Use Mills and Scott in the same backfield?  Spare Wan'dale the abuse...

FWIW, I think you're sharing several valid points. I too am equally frustrated by a lack of offensive cohesiveness three years into this regime.

From my perspective, it's sort of been three years featuring a lot of the same stories and problems. Luke and the entire offense looked strong in the first half, but that type of execution is more anomalous than it is routine. They've been outscored something something like 59-6 in second halves this season. Alleged 'bread and butter' plays for this offense are inconsistent. Penalties rear their heads and try to kill drives too often. Virtually no vertical passing game.

Nebraska recruits on or above par than most of their conference peers, but based on results and execution, you wouldn't often know it.

I'm not out on Frost (far from it, in fact) but these are legitimate concerns to wonder about. I'd rather be discussing them after a win than a loss, though, so I'm grateful for that.

• Fire 1

15 minutes ago, Enhance said:

FWIW, I think you're sharing several valid points. I too am equally frustrated by a lack of offensive cohesiveness three years into this regime.

From my perspective, it's sort of been three years featuring a lot of the same stories and problems. Luke and the entire offense looked strong in the first half, but that type of execution is more anomalous than it is routine. They've been outscored something something like 59-6 in second halves this season. Alleged 'bread and butter' plays for this offense are inconsistent. Penalties rear their heads and try to kill drives too often. Virtually no vertical passing game.

Nebraska recruits on or above par than most of their conference peers, but based on results and execution, you wouldn't often know it.

I'm not out on Frost (far from it, in fact) but these are legitimate concerns to wonder about. I'd rather be discussing them after a win than a loss, though, so I'm grateful for that.

Screenshot_20201116-081251_ESPN.thumb.jpg.16b34fb18c426b119ed5f93834d9d9be.jpg

Definitely not routine,  you're right.  The first scripted drive usually goes well and then in this game there was barely anything else save that 45 yard run by Betts.  The turnovers and field position won the game for Nebraska which is something we haven't been able to say in a long time.  Need to see more from the offense this weekend before Iowa.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
10 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Agreed with this entirely.

As for Luke's first start, I thought Luke played ok but I didn't see how it was any better than Martinez starting games. Both QBs tend to start games well with the scripted set of plays but struggle beyond that. I'll cut some slack for being the first game started but will need to see some strides of improvement to justify switching horses. Defense won us this past game, thankfully the offense did just enough to not cost us this one. 

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, runningblind said:

Screenshot_20201116-081251_ESPN.thumb.jpg.16b34fb18c426b119ed5f93834d9d9be.jpg

Definitely not routine,  you're right.  The first scripted drive usually goes well and then in this game there was barely anything else save that 45 yard run by Betts.  The turnovers and field position won the game for Nebraska which is something we haven't been able to say in a long time.  Need to see more from the offense this weekend before Iowa.

I suspect that the scripted first drive against NW was going to work but the two back to back penalties killed it. I think we’re looking at a whole different chain of events had that drive scored. 

• Plus1 2
16 minutes ago, Enhance said:

The transition from Riley and a bad first recruiting class by Frost are hurting us this season.  Those would be the upperclassmen.

We currently have the following numbers of starters or significant playing time at the following spots who are either freshmen or redshirt freshmen 

2 OL

QB

4 receivers

2 RB

And Wandale is a SO

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Maybe the Frost style offense just doesn’t work in the B10.  

fwiw- I think it can, but you have to have a deep threat on almost every play. Betts is upcoming I look to see him get a lot more action. IF someone can get it to him. 

I agree - I think it can, too. I think the offense is sound conceptually. It shares a lot of principles similar to some high-powered college football offenses out there.

Unfortunately, I'm not enough of an X's and O's guy to really pick out the intimate failings. I can see the obvious ones (i.e. a QB missing a read here, a WR missing a block there, a holding penalty bringing a drive back, etc.), but as to why they can't seem to find the pieces to make it click, that's where I'm lost.

• Plus1 1

Frost said they got conservative and basically changed the gameplan, and that almost cost us the game. I do think Penn State's defense is actually good, but we can't just run it and let them tee of on the QB when he drops back. I didn't see a lot from Luke or the offense that looked different, but it was a weird game. Illinois will be a good measuring stick - I don't think they'll flip flop QBs, and AM has had incredible games against them both years. Luke and the offense need to produce this week or I'll be actually worried.

5 minutes ago, TheSker said:

The transition from Riley and a bad first recruiting class by Frost are hurting us this season.  Those would be the upperclassmen.

We currently have the following numbers of starters or significant playing time at the following spots who are either freshmen or redshirt freshmen 

2 OL

QB

4 receivers

2 RB

And Wandale is a SO

The lack of experience/depth at those positions is a challenge - very much agree. I think it explains some of the inconsistencies though not all.

3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

The lack of experience/depth at those positions is a challenge - very much agree. I think it explains some of the inconsistencies though not all.

The more of them on the field at the same time, the higher the chance of things going wrong on any play....like the play with Alante and Luke.

5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Frost said they got conservative and basically changed the gameplan, and that almost cost us the game. I do think Penn State's defense is actually good, but we can't just run it and let them tee of on the QB when he drops back.

Yeah you could tell that Penn St. had pretty much figured out what they needed to do in the second half - commit to stopping the run and play tight coverage on the outside to force Luke to make some elite college throws. Nebraska couldn't do much about the latter and it showed on the scoreboard.

That said, there were opportunities to make plays regardless of what Penn St. was doing, but little things across the table stopped Nebraska cold.

• Plus1 1