The Book of Boba Fett

Spoiler

Am I alone in rolling my eyes at bringing Grogu into any of this?  Even bringing in Mando seemed like an excuse to just waste an episode and a half so people could get all excited about his new ship and seeing Luke.

I was actually hoping Grogu wasn't going to be part of The Mandalorian going forward after shipping of with Skywalker to be trained.  Looks like he'll be back...

I'm just over it, I guess.

• Fire 1

17 hours ago, funhusker said:

Talking to a coworker today and decided that it could have been a really cool movie about Boba Fett's survival and coming into the Tusken culture with the biker gang/Pikes as the antagonists in the same time frame as the flashbacks in the first half of the season.  No need to even mess with taking over Jabba's thrown and dealing with the Pikes in "present" day.  That all seemed really cobbled together...

It did; the first 4 or so episodes that bounce back and forth between flashback and present time are so, so messy. Had they focused on one, it might have saved the narrative of the show. 

17 hours ago, funhusker said:
  Hide contents

Am I alone in rolling my eyes at bringing Grogu into any of this?  Even bringing in Mando seemed like an excuse to just waste an episode and a half so people could get all excited about his new ship and seeing Luke.

I was actually hoping Grogu wasn't going to be part of The Mandalorian going forward after shipping of with Skywalker to be trained.  Looks like he'll be back...

I'm just over it, I guess.

Spoiler

Part of me thinks that they hotshotted what are essentially two episodes of Mando season 3 into this show because they saw what the finished product was going to be and panicked. 

And while I hoped they were going to be apart for a bit longer, Grogu was never going to not be a part of The Mandalorian; his relationship with Mando is the central tenant of the show. Hell, he might actually be the title character when its all said and done. 

2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

It did; the first 4 or so episodes that bounce back and forth between flashback and present time are so, so messy. Had they focused on one, it might have saved the narrative of the show. 

That bouncing back and forth was a complete cluster fluff, trying to decipher which was now and which was a flashback. Part of that might have been my fault since I didn't watch all of the mandolorian first. Watching another series shouldn't be a prerequisite to watching something.

On the plus side of the show, loved the black haired wookie. 

19 minutes ago, desertshox said:

That bouncing back and forth was a complete cluster fluff, trying to decipher which was now and which was a flashback. Part of that might have been my fault since I didn't watch all of the mandolorian first. Watching another series shouldn't be a prerequisite to watching something.

On the plus side of the show, loved the black haired wookie. 

Spoiler

I imagine there's going to be a metric ton of confusion when the people who skipped Boba Fett start watching The Mandalorian Season 3. 

• Plus1 1

54 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I imagine there's going to be a metric ton of confusion when the people who skipped Boba Fett start watching The Mandalorian Season 3. 

Spoiler

yeah, i went and binged the last episode and season 2 of the mandolorian after trying to figure out why he was in boba fett. and after the second episode i was like "why did i just watch 2 mandolorian episodes masquerading as book of boba fett episodes?" if boba does get a second season, and i hope he does, they might want to fire all their writers and maybe find another director for it.

I've seen quite a bit of negativity about this show. I've stayed away from conversations because we've been a few episodes behind throughout.

But we just finished this, and I'm not getting the gripes. Was this a case of unrealized expectations?

I walked into this show knowing nothing about it. Expecting nothing other than to be immersed in the Star Wars culture for a few episodes, and learn what happened to Boba Fett after ROTJ.

I'm fine with what this was.

What was wrong with this?

5 hours ago, knapplc said:

I've seen quite a bit of negativity about this show. I've stayed away from conversations because we've been a few episodes behind throughout.

But we just finished this, and I'm not getting the gripes. Was this a case of unrealized expectations?

I walked into this show knowing nothing about it. Expecting nothing other than to be immersed in the Star Wars culture for a few episodes, and learn what happened to Boba Fett after ROTJ.

Nostalgia for the Boba Fett that was in the OT. The guy who looked cool in armor, talked back to Vader that went onto have a good amount of story in the old EU.

Overall it was an OK show that got propped up by having the Season 3 Premier of Mando. The Pike storyline was fine with some nice Star Wars weirdness (might be one of the only people who kind of like the Vespa Biker gang). The Tusken storyline was fine. This show and Mando need better fight choreography, though. Too many times Mando or someone is looking one way when shooting and the action is in the general direction, but its obvious that the actor was informed just the general direction to shoot.

Krstann (Black Haired Wookiee) is a comic book original character that makes me hopeful that they might bring the main character into live action somewhere (a sort of Indiana Jones archaeologist who worked with Vader for a bit and had dark expies of Threepio and Artoo that might be pretty funny to see).

Both this show and Kenobi are/were banking on the Nostalgia factor of the internet. I think it would have been better to just leave Boba dead in the Sarlacc and had the mysterious stranger from Mando be a Clone Trooper named Rex from the cartoons searching for Ahsoka after hearing about Grogu. And the Kenobi show is just not needed, especially in the timeframe its being set in.

14 hours ago, knapplc said:

It had some moments but the overall craft of the writing was so lazy as the first big criticism from me. I'll go ahead and rant about some specific examples and hope they paint a larger picture (spoilers below):

• Why do the raiders take him prisoner? What's their motivation? Is it to repeatedly rape him like they did with Shmi Skywalker? Doesn't seem like it, since Disney is trying to "humanize" their culture and make them interesting, but then...why? Why does an isolated hidden tribe of nomads take a prisoner that is just going to take up more food and water of which there is very little? And why ignore their documented savage history instead of integrating it?

• Why does Boba decide to become crime lord of Jabba's palace? What's his goal? Is it for a more interesting character reason than they already have all the sets and costumes and renders for Tattooine and they did this series on the cheap? People might say the answer is for riches, which doesn't make sense because (for some inexplicable reason) there's nobody around when Bib Fortuna is on the throne and he could have just emptied the vaults and left to go anywhere. People might say it's for revenge, which would make you think he'd say a single thing about the raiders and that story at least one time ever in the later storyline.

• Why are all these local tribes giving offerings to the new crimelord? He has a crime syndicate of....two total people. How s#!t are these established crime families that they let this happen? If it's because he's so feared, then you'd think that fear would quickly disappear with how often he gets his a$$ beat. Jabba ruled because he had infrastructure, fealty, the Hutts working as a mafia-like family, etc. Boba Fett has Fenic Shand and that's literally it, and everyone's like, "oh thank you for your protection here's a lot of money". What protection? A literal line from the series:

"I'm confused."

"He wants you to pay him."

"What? I'm the crime lord, he should pay me."

A+ work there.

• The biggest gripe I have is this awful writing crutch where the new characters explain stuff to the old characters that the old ones should well already know. They just write these characters to be convenient exposition dumps moving the "plot" forward. So many times we see Fennic Shand saying things like, "They're used to seeing the Hutts parading around these streets." Boba Fett lived in Jabba's palace for 3 years and worked for him for longer, why is she saying all of this to him and why does he just stay silent acting like he's never set foot in this town? "Jabba rarely left his chambers" Oh but you just said... nvm. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

RR is a pants director. so plastic, phoned in and meaningless on every level.

JF also a terrible writer. Thought as much with Mando never having any lines and this was worse.

The scene of them both running round these slow af droids was a joke. never felt like anyone was in danger and they just couldnt help bring back yoda.

ever heard of kill your babies? director has to make some tough decisions and they made none and felt so cheesy.

2.5/10 for me. (would get 5/10 if I included episode 5 and 6 but they were not even part of the story)

• Plus1 1

A few more curious writing decision questions for me (spoilers below):

• Why do the Hutts walk around with slaves carrying them on a platform when this is a world with floating ships/barges/speeders/anything?

• ...why did the Hutts also wait five years to claim Jabba's territory?

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2022 at 5:59 PM, Lorewarn said:

A few more curious writing decision questions for me (spoilers below):

• Why do the Hutts walk around with slaves carrying them on a platform when this is a world with floating ships/barges/speeders/anything?

• ...why did the Hutts also wait five years to claim Jabba's territory?

Agree with the first point. Repulsorlifts are common - a poor Tatooine farm boy had a repulsor speeder, for crying out loud. I guess the litter & slaves just looked better?

The Hutts wouldn't necessarily need to occupy Jabba's palace to take over his business. His syndicate did business all over the sector. The palace itself was just where he chose to live. I guess?