Insurrection fallout

A Time for Choosing Speech at the Reagan Library by Liz Cheney.  "We have to chose. Because Republicans cannot both be loyal to Donald Trump and loyal to the Constitution."

Her full speech here

The summary and the Time to Choose quote  above here: 

https://www.mediaite.com/news/liz-cheney-blasts-trump-over-jan-6-in-blistering-reagan-library-speech-praises-courage-of-bombshell-witness-cassidy-hutchinson/

At this moment we’re confronting a domestic threat that we have never faced before. And that is a former president who is attempting to unravel the foundations of our constitutional republic. And he is aided by Republican leaders and elected officials who made themselves willing hostages to this dangerous and irrational man. Now, some in my party are embracing former President Trump. And even after all we’ve seen, they’re enabling his lies. Many others are urging that we not confront Donald Trump, that we look away, and that is certainly the easier path. One need only look at the threats that are facing the witnesses who’ve become who’ve come before the January 6 committee to understand the nature and the magnitude of that threat.

And when the violence was underway, he refused to take action to tell the rioters to leave. Instead, he incited further violence by tweeting that the vice president, Mike Pence, was a coward. He said, quote, Mike deserves it. And he didn’t want to do anything in response to the “Hang Mike Pence” chants. It’s undeniable. It’s also painful for Republicans to accept. And I think we all have to recognize and understand what it means to say those words and what it means that those things happened.

But the reality that we face today as Republicans, as we think about the choice in front of us, we have to choose because Republicans cannot both be loyal to Donald Trump and loyal to the Constitution

Cheney went on to effusively praise Cassidy Hutchinson, the former top aide to Trump White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows who delivered bombshell after bombshell at Tuesday’s surprise hearing.   Cheney told the crowd that “her bravery and her patriotism yesterday were awesome to behold. Little girls all across this great nation are seeing what it really means to love this country and what it really means to be a patriot.”

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

A Time for Choosing Speech at the Reagan Library by Liz Cheney.  "We have to chose. Because Republicans cannot both be loyal to Donald Trump and loyal to the Constitution."

Her full speech here

The summary and the Time to Choose quote  above here: 

https://www.mediaite.com/news/liz-cheney-blasts-trump-over-jan-6-in-blistering-reagan-library-speech-praises-courage-of-bombshell-witness-cassidy-hutchinson/

Man, if she is going to make a push to run for President, 2024 might be her time.

On 6/28/2022 at 6:43 PM, Scarlet said:

Soon enough the talking points will arrive here now that the GOP has their playbook updated.   Weak but here it is

Have these people never learned to cut bait FFS?

And here's your answer Lindsey, you wormy wishy-washy f#&%.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Man, if she is going to make a push to run for President, 2024 might be her time.

Yep.  -- can enough traditional GOP voters be stirred up to support her?  If she decides to run, all of the other 'moderates' need to stand down and support her and not run against her. Otherwise a Trump clone will win the nomination. 

22 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yep.  -- can enough traditional GOP voters be stirred up to support her?  If she decides to run, all of the other 'moderates' need to stand down and support her and not run against her. Otherwise a Trump clone will win the nomination. 

If she runs, we will see the problem with our primaries.  There is no way in hell she makes it out of the primaries for the nomination.  Way too many MAGA head voters.  Then, the ones who aren't down the MAGA rabbit hole will distribute their votes among several candidats.  

Disantis is distancing himself from Trump.  But, he's the same type of candidate as Trump.  So, the MAGA heads will join forces around him and claim...."See, he didn't like Trump and we are supporting him".  

What would be interesting is to see how Disantis would attack Cheney.  He really can't go after her actions on the J6 committee because he doesn't like Trump either.  She has voted very Republican while in office.

This is sad :cryembarrassing :facepalm: angering :steam and frustrating :throw    But overall it is revealing about the hold the

cult of Trump has on people.  It strikes close to home as well.  I have 2 sister-in-laws who are believing the Q and cult lies

of Trump. They believe that Pence was a pedophile who is no longer alive. They believe there is a stand in for him now. The stand in 

was the one who defied Trump on Jan 6.  People suspend all reasoning power and logic.  We have a huge part of our population

who are deceived by this cult.   These are the same people voting for Congress this year and the president in 2024. 

• Plus1 3
39 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

This is sad :cryembarrassing :facepalm: angering :steam and frustrating :throw    But overall it is revealing about the hold the

cult of Trump has on people.  It strikes close to home as well.  I have 2 sister-in-laws who are believing the Q and cult lies

of Trump. They believe that Pence was a pedophile who is no longer alive. They believe there is a stand in for him now. The stand in 

was the one who defied Trump on Jan 6.  People suspend all reasoning power and logic.  We have a huge part of our population

who are deceived by this cult.   These are the same people voting for Congress this year and the president in 2024. 

I know several people who have crawled in this hole and refuse to come out.  It truly is amazing and sad at the same time to watch.  And, obviously, we see that from time to time from some posts here on this board.

21 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Funny how you left Harris off of the list.  Not funny at you, but funny how she has left so little impact that she is forgotten when we (me included)  think of likely options if Uncle Joe doesn't run. 

She's damaged goods, just like many of the others listed.  Mayor Pete would have been a viable choice had he not accepted the Secretary of Transportation position.  With all of the supply chain issues and such, he has the misfortune of having this baggage attached.  Justifiably so or not, he's damaged goods that I don't think the country can or will get behind.  Elizabeth Warren is Elizabeth Warren.  She couldn't excite the base the last election, and won't the next one either because she's seen as being a lot closer to the far left than to the center.  Newsom as discussed has too much California baggage.  

The only intriguing name on that list is Tim Ryan.  I'm not sure he has much of a national following, but given the proper resources could get the nomination.  Unfortunately, he will be slammed because of things from his past.  He was once a member of the NRA donating $20,000 to them.  He at one time was anti-abortion.  The two hot button issues for the D's right now is gun control and abortion.  Can they get behind a candidate who at one time was on the "wrong" side of the fence on both issues?  Time will tell.  

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

We all knew the Trumpists latest disinformation campaign would fall flat as they always do.  I don't think the Jan 6th committee would have pursued the testimony about Trump grabbing the wheel without receipts.  

The question is, what are the "receipts"?  We have one testimony saying she was told this happened under oath.  We have one guy saying it didn't happen while not under oath.  

What I find interesting is that the video of Trump being driven away from the rally in the suburban shows him being very animated while talking to the driver.  I'm sure that's when he was being told he wasn't going to the capital.  Unfortunately, the incident wasn't on video.

Wasn't there a third person in the vehicle?

• Plus1 1