Economy

In a sales manager position, you’re paying someone a lot of money to build relationships. That’s not a lot different than if they a scientist takes technical secrets to another company. Like I said, the customer can call the company up and buy. It’s not prohibiting that. The sales manager can’t just change and actively switch everyone. And, it’s typically just customers of a certain size. The vast majority of customers, this doesn’t affect. 

And, again, I don’t really have a problem with this change.  Just pointing out one area that the laws @Archy1221 mentioned doesn’t apply and I can see where I could agree with an agreement. 

• TBH 1
44 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

In a sales manager position, you’re paying someone a lot of money to build relationships. That’s not a lot different than if they a scientist takes technical secrets to another company. Like I said, the customer can call the company up and buy. It’s not prohibiting that. The sales manager can’t just change and actively switch everyone. And, it’s typically just customers of a certain size. The vast majority of customers, this doesn’t affect. 

And, again, I don’t really have a problem with this change.  Just pointing out one area that the laws @Archy1221 mentioned doesn’t apply and I can see where I could agree with an agreement. 

If the company fires that sales person then they're out on their a$$ and the non compete still applies, so they have to start over. How is it fair that a company can chain a person like that, but it doesn't work the other way around? Again, NCs are terrible for people and only good for businesses.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, ZRod said:

If the company fires that sales person then they're out on their a$$ and the non compete still applies, so they have to start over. How is it fair that a company can chain a person like that, but it doesn't work the other way around? Again, NCs are terrible for people and only good for businesses.

The non competes I’m aware of are not like that. If the company fires you, it’s null and void.  Also, you don’t have to start all over. You can still work in the industry and even call on some of your existing customers. 

And, again, it’s very difficult to enforce.  I don’t have a problem with this change.  

16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The non competes I’m aware of are not like that. If the company fires you, it’s null and void.  Also, you don’t have to start all over. You can still work in the industry and even call on some of your existing customers. 

And, again, it’s very difficult to enforce.  I don’t have a problem with this change.  

Unless it specifically says it's void at termination it would still be enforceable. They also spread the gambit from don't take clients to you can't work within so many miles, or for so many months/years.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sorry but I disagree with this.   I’ve been working in sales for just about 25 years now and the last 8 in a pretty specialized area.  That would be 8 years of expertise become null and void if I had a non compete.  It would not allow me to use one of my greatest asset to find a new job, which is the experience in this specialized area.  

If companies can’t keep a customer when an employee leaves, that’s on the company not the employee.  If said employee is that valuable to the company, and the employee leaves, then the company was probably not paying him/her enough in the first place or treating him/her good enough to make the employee stay 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Crusader Husker said:

Do you guys have an investing club at your school?

I do a stock market game with certain classes.  

They get a set amount to start with and they buy stocks and the game site tracks it all for us and in the end there is a winner.  The problem is that it is short term(ish) so it is not accurate.  We just run it for 3-4 months. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

There is some type of state competition here in Ohio.  About 5 or 6 years ago we had a team do very well.  They also sat in the library and started trading or something. (this was their own investments) Started with Bitcoin and worked their way buy and trading and I guess made some good money during the school year.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1