Tangent Thread - Supposedly Adrian Martinez Thread Edition

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I have a feeling Omar Manning is going to give fans aneurisms.  He will make some unbelievable catches and then drop easy ones like he did in the spring.  

People forget- Bell and Morgan would often make very difficult catches and then dropped an easy one nearly every game. It happens when you get volume, catching it every time through the bouncing visor and hands in your face is much more difficult to do in person than it appears on TV

Due to the fact both were consistently able to create separation, catch and block- they earned that grace. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/4/2021 at 8:24 PM, VizionNE said:

A lot of this is true, but anyone who doesn’t recognize that Adrian has a turnover problem is simply turning a blind eye. 

I’m not talking throwing picks here, which happen to every non-Justin fields player, but just careless fumbles. 

Quick check on 2020 stats: A.Mart top 10 with most of those teams playing more games than Nebraska. For his career he averages 1 fumble per game. 

The offense has been good enough to win more games. Same with the defense. If we can somehow not be one of the worst FBS football programs in turnover margin, we will win more games. That starts and generally ends with #2. 

You mean cruel hater- how dare you bring up statistics. 

This no fear of failure bulls#!t needs to go out the window. It simply hasn't worked. 

Too many turnovers = We consistently are near the top for turnover margin

Too many untimely penalties

Horrific Special Teams

Terrible  third down and red zone efficiency

Poor clock and game management

GET SOME ACCOUNTABILITY and can the its ok little Johnny- nice try- who cares approach

2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

You're the one who's wrong. Mavric said Smothers started for the whites, which he did, and he didn't say you hadn't watched the game,  he asked you if you watched the game. I've bolded the parts you're confused about in his post.

Mavric replied to me saying Smothers played poorly- to excusing it by saying he played against the ones for the game. HE threw ALL BUT ONE PASS for the reds against the back ups. There's always an excuse. 

At the end of the day- there isn't any data that supports our staff has chosen QBs well or developed them well. Smothers couldn't even move the ball well against the backups- hes another Luke- same guy different name. 

4 hours ago, Undone said:

And benching him was such a dumb move by Frost...McNuggets goes in there and then has four turnovers against Illinois and we lose in embarrassing fashion...with one of those turnovers coming on a bizarre and panicked lateral on the first play of the game.

Benching him was dumb, yes, but It was the right move to pull him. He needed to sit out for a series to get his head right.

• Plus1 4
8 hours ago, ZRod said:

Benching him was dumb, yes, but It was the right move to pull him. He needed to sit out for a series to get his head right.

One players take-  There were some on the team that really wanted Luke to get his shot.  When you are losing, as a coach it's never a bad idea to try to find that spark.  Luke provided that for a bit so his supporters got louder temporarily.  It basically had to happen - he got his shot and failed so in a sense it unified everyone back behind #2.  

• Plus1 3

12 hours ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

You two touch on my biggest concerns going into this season. QB & Special Teams. Both need to improve if they are going to be successful. I'd be happy if Martinez could just be a game manager and keep the turnovers to a reasonable level (ie not in the top 10 like he has been for his first 3 seasons). And the Special Teams need to see a dramatic improvement. Hard to see how they could be much worse but at least get to an average level of play. Take care of those two things and the season is looking up.

Be careful. 

Some here it seems think we should only try to improve one aspect of the team. Somehow getting better at QB is magically mutually exclusive with getting better at Special Teams or improving our horrific turnover problems. So we have to do those first- once we get that totally squared away- THEN its ok to talk about improving QB play, or maybe its still taboo then. We will never know. 

• Plus1 1

Adrian better come out of the gates this season guns-a-blazing.  We have invested pretty much everything into him the past 3 years and have nothing to show for it.  I want Frost and Adrian to succeed, but if he starts to put the ball into our opponents hands 2-3 times a game, then it is time to look at alternatives or maybe even a transfer.  

• Plus1 1
56 minutes ago, Bledred said:

Adrian better come out of the gates this season guns-a-blazing.  We have invested pretty much everything into him the past 3 years and have nothing to show for it.  I want Frost and Adrian to succeed, but if he starts to put the ball into our opponents hands 2-3 times a game, then it is time to look at alternatives or maybe even a transfer.  

Unfortunately- like last season Adrian is still our best choice to win games. Luke and Smothers are the same non QB guy with different names and Haarberg is a C1 project, not anywhere close to being ready to play in the BIG

That is an indictment on our coaches ability to evaluate and choose legitimate QBs and of course the coaching staffs lack in ability in developing said QBs.

The cherry on top is never bothering to pick up or even seriously consider QBs in the transfer portal who have gone on to great things because "they aint better than what we got" At least a transfer would have gotten the benefit of being coached by someone other than Verduzco/ 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Unfortunately- like last season Adrian is still our best choice to win games. Luke and Smothers are the same non QB guy with different names and Haarberg is a C1 project, not anywhere close to being ready to play in the BIG

That is an indictment on our coaches ability to evaluate and choose legitimate QBs and of course the coaching staffs lack in ability in developing said QBs.

The cherry on top is never bothering to pick up or even seriously consider QBs in the transfer portal who have gone on to great things because "they aint better than what we got"

i agree, we have done a piss poor job at recruiting and developing QB's under Frost.

Mario is not producing on his end.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Some here it seems think we should only try to improve one aspect of the team. Somehow getting better at QB is magically mutually exclusive with getting better at Special Teams or improving our horrific turnover problems. So we have to do those first- once we get that totally squared away- THEN its ok to talk about improving QB play, or maybe its still taboo then. We will never know. 

I've noticed that you seem to have a chronic problem of making a straw man out of people's arguments.

• Plus1 5
  • Oh Yeah! 1

35 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

i agree, we have done a piss poor job at recruiting and developing QB's under Frost.

Mario is not producing on his end.

Don't you dare criticize St Mario- the patron saint of all Hobbits and poorly performing coaches. The lack of development with Gebbia, Martinez, Vedral, Bunch,  McCaffrey and Smothers have NOTHING to do with him. Don't you know St Mario listens to opera, smokes cigars, drinks great scotch with no ice and has really cool glasses? He's obviously a QB whispering savant guru and anyone who criticizes him knows nothing about football. Coach V is just the "victim" of 4 really bad QBs in a row. Many  must think coaching doesn't matter a hill of beans because his selection and coaching ability seem to be just fine with. If that's the case- then the boys should just coach themselves and split up Coach Vs salary between the QBs. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Don't you dare criticize St Mario- the patron saint of all Hobbits and poorly performing coaches. The lack of development with Gebbia, Martinez, McCaffrey and Smothers have NOTHING to do with him. Don't you know St Mario listens to opera, smokes cigars, drinks great scotch with no ice and has really cool glasses? He's obviously a QB whispering savant guru and anyone who criticizes him knows nothing about football. 

so true, but he did a great job with Skywalker!

• Plus1 1
36 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

so true, but he did a great job with Skywalker!

He did- notice that Luke blew out of Louisville because he wasnt going to get any playing time there in spite of his amazing QB mechanics taught by the Amazing Verduzco.. Luke is now at that great football school- RICE- where all the great QBs go to. 

9 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

No one is saying that

If that is really the case, then fair enough. But I have a feeling you're wrong.

10 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

When you lose 12 games by a score or less AND watch the games- the consistently poor quality of our QB play DEFINITELY plays a part in losing many of those games.

The 2019 season was some seriously bad football by the 'skers, for sure. If I'm looking at 2020 it is just my opinion that special teams and untimely penalties were a much bigger influence on losing some of those close ones.

Check out the Iowa game as a specific example. Taylor-Britt muffs a punt return at a critical point in the game.

But I completely agree that if Martinez had significantly fewer fumbles we'd be a better football team. It would be stubborn to not admit that. 

• Thanks 1