QB Brian Hildebrand

I wonder if the coaches did as they promised and cleared the recruiting of this QB with Beck before it was done. If not, it's hard to blame him for leaving.

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Wednesday, Aug 09, 2006 - 12:11:11 pm CDT

Turns out Nebraska won’t stand pat with three quarterbacks in preseason camp.

Brian Hildebrand, a 6-foot-2, 200-pound player at Mt. San Antonio (Calif.) College, plans to enroll at Nebraska this month and could be practicing as soon as this weekend — assuming he passes an Oceanography lab on Thursday to earn his associate’s degree.

If he does, he said, he’ll be on a flight to Lincoln on Friday.

The news comes in the wake of sophomore Harrison Beck leaving the program earlier this week, leaving Nebraska with starter Zac Taylor and backups Joe Ganz and Beau Davis in camp.

Hildebrand redshirted at Oregon State in 2004, leaving the school after one semester for Mt. San Antonio. He started five games last season, then tore a ligament in his right (throwing) thumb. He completed 56 of 99 passes for 791 yards and three touchdowns with five interceptions.

At Nebraska, he would join the team as a sophomore and have three seasons of playing eligibility remaining.

A native of Corona, Calif., Hildebrand was ranked in 2004 as the nation’s No. 12 pro-style quarterback by Rivals.com.

Beck, who left preseason camp Saturday, was aware that Hildebrand was on the verge of becoming a Husker, said John Davis, Beck’s former coach at Countryside High in Clearwater, Fla.

“I think it miffed him a little and maybe was a factor in him leaving, but I don’t think it was a determining factor,” Davis said.

Beck is right now considering “two or three” Division I-A schools as places to resume his career, Davis said. He hopes to enroll in time for the start of the fall semester. Beck likely would use his redshirt season this year.

“I just told him he has to stay out of the limelight and work his tail off,” Davis said of Beck. “He just needs to get a thicker skin, grow up and go compete somewhere.”

I wonder if the coaches did as they promised and cleared the recruiting of this QB with Beck before it was done. If not, it's hard to blame him for leaving.

Well...the way Beck was progressing, I don't blame them if they did a little recruiting of QB's for this year and even with Beck knowing. He didn't turn out to be the all around guy we thought he was...and with an attitude like that who cares if he got mad about Cally looking at other QB's. This is big time football and a promise can be broken if we are in need of immediate help. I would rather break Beck's promise and be safe with bringing another guy in, instead of being stuck with only Beck and Ganz next season. Who knows if he will ever turn out to be a good QB...you just never know and I praise Cally for making the move he did.

Good riddance. Beck just proved he is a sunburnt mama's boy who doesn't understand big boy football. Go work on your tan as you win Florida Atlantic absolutely nothing, and speed-dial mommy while you do it. What a waste of time. :hmmm

“I just told him he has to stay out of the limelight and work his tail off,” Davis said of Beck. “He just needs to get a thicker skin, grow up and go compete somewhere.”

Too bad his mom didn't give Beck that advice and it had to come from his former high school coach.

Judging by the article though, it sounds like Beck wasn't up for the competition anyway if he knew Hildebrand was possibly coming in

Too bad his mom didn't give Beck that advice and it had to come from his former high school coach.

Judging by the article though, it sounds like Beck wasn't up for the competition anyway if he knew Hildebrand was possibly coming in

It's amazing with all this "confidence" that Beck had, that he never thought he could challenge anyone. He was crying about his spot on the depth chart. If he was so "good", he would have challenged Hildebrand, Ganz, and whoever else was here.