Fordham Play-by-Play

Mavric

8 hours ago, Mavric said:

Yep.  That's what I'd like to see - when and how much.

I actually was specifically watching him (even though it as at the opposite end of the field as me).  It appeared to me that he wasn't beating his guy, so he slowed down to look back to see where the ball went.  Then...."crap, it's to me" and he tried to make up ground.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

And the funny thing about that play too is that Martinez could have pump faked and then just jogged around that defender and then picked up like 20 yards on the ground.

I feel like every time Adrian rolls out of the pocket as opposed to standing in it, his potential effectiveness on any given play goes way, way up.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

We've run this concept a lot and had good success.  At first I wasn't sure if it was a read but we did leave the EMOL unblocked, he just squeezed down really hard.

I feel slightly bad for Ervin when I watch this play - same thought went through my head as I watched Stepp make this run...the blocking on this particular play was great. All Markese had to do was just fight through the first would-be tackler with some speed and then it was a pretty easy first down.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Undone said:

I feel slightly bad for Ervin when I watch this play - same thought went through my head as I watched Stepp make this run...the blocking on this particular play was great. All Markese had to do was just fight through the first would-be tackler with some speed and then it was a pretty easy first down.

Yeah, Ervin sure hasn't had much to work with on his carries.  Credit to Stepp but the opportunities are definitely not equal.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

And the funny thing about that play too is that Martinez could have pump faked and then just jogged around that defender and then picked up like 20 yards on the ground.

I feel like every time Adrian rolls out of the pocket as opposed to standing in it, his potential effectiveness on any given play goes way, way up.

A roll out cuts the field down to 1/3 of the playing surface.  It can get congested.  

The entire field is available by staying the pocket. There are more options (targets).  

And we don't want QB to roll out and be tempted to throw across his body.  Often times (for any QB) the result plays out like,  "dang, I didn't see that defender there".

Here's the first bubble screen to Allen. I love this play design by Frost/Lubick/whoever thought it up (press play to start at correct time):

Then just let it roll to watch a good inside run by Stepp on the very next play. I know it's "just Fordham" but you can see how fast & hard Stepp runs downhill. I think he might be just a touch faster than Mills - I'm thinking he has maybe lost a couple pounds to trim up a bit since his USC time?

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, admo said:

A roll out cuts the field down to 1/3 of the playing surface.  It can get congested.  

Great point there, really. My only pushback is that when Martinez does it, linebackers & safeties have that instant "oh s***" moment and suck in towards him which can then get guys open - because defenses know that Adrian can practically just jog for a 20 yard gain like it's nothing if you let him.

• Plus1 2