Fordham Play-by-Play

Mavric

Just now, Undone said:

Good stuff.

Obviously there's a narrative that Frost doesn't play the best guys for seemingly nebulous reasons. Maybe that's true and maybe it isn't. One would think that Ervin is outperforming the pack in practice, but this Buffalo game is sort of do or die for Frosty IMO.

Better make sure to play the guys who you believe will show up the biggest in games so we don't lose this one. It'll be interesting to see who's out there on the first offensive drive.

Here's a counter-point.  Not trying to pick on Stepp but I'd like to see a little better vision out of our RB1.  A simple cut left would seem to have been a big hole and quite possibly a TD.  Instead he runs into the back of an OL.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Here's a counter-point.  Not trying to pick on Stepp but I'd like to see a little better vision out of our RB1.  A simple cut left would seem to have been a big hole and quite possibly a TD.  Instead he runs into the back of an OL.

I'm guessing Held told him not to cut anymore after that early carry where he just kinda stopped and stood behind a lineman on the ground. I'm sure it's in here somewhere, it was a bad cut that he couldn't make.

Just now, Husker in WI said:

I'm guessing Held told him not to cut anymore after that early carry where he just kinda stopped and stood behind a lineman on the ground. I'm sure it's in here somewhere, it was a bad cut that he couldn't make.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't happen.  We're an inside zone-heavy team.  It's all about making a cut and getting through the hole.

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

A simple cut left would seem to have been a big hole and quite possibly a TD.  Instead he runs into the back of an OL.

Agreed there.

Having backs run into blockers in year 4 with the toughest schedule of the Frost era is a disappointment.

Mills did the same thing in 2019 and then started picking it up quite a bit better by that Wisconsin game last year. Hopefully one of these two guys makes a big leap this week and makes the most of what's there.

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't happen.  We're an inside zone-heavy team.  It's all about making a cut and getting through the hole.

Right, I said that poorly - RBs have to cut at least once. More like told him to pick the hole and go north/south, no drastic cutbacks or changing your mind. This starts at the play I'm talking about:

But yeah, just a thought. More likely just doesn't have great vision or the feel for the blocking yet.

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Another one for the "Martinez doesn't get through his progressions" discussion.  Looks to me like he gets through three pretty fast - all across the field - and then sees the opening to get to the corner.

You see him looking at 3 progressions from that shot? Most likely 1, maybe 2- but neither of us can see if its 1, 2 or 3. 

23 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Right, I said that poorly - RBs have to cut at least once. More like told him to pick the hole and go north/south, no drastic cutbacks or changing your mind. This starts at the play I'm talking about:

But yeah, just a thought. More likely just doesn't have great vision or the feel for the blocking yet.

OK.  Yeah, I agree with that.  I would definitely say it's one cut and go.  But the play I referenced earlier was no-cut.

24 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

You see him looking at 3 progressions from that shot? Most likely 1, maybe 2- but neither of us can see if its 1, 2 or 3. 

It is absolutely at least two.  And I'm pretty sure it's three.

I thought it was two on the live look but when you watch the field level replay you can see three.  He reads the combo route to the right at first, then he moves left to the first crosser then farther left to the second crosser and that's when he sees there isn't any contain and runs for the corner.

On 9/7/2021 at 7:25 AM, Undone said:

And the funny thing about that play too is that Martinez could have pump faked and then just jogged around that defender and then picked up like 20 yards on the ground.

I feel like every time Adrian rolls out of the pocket as opposed to standing in it, his potential effectiveness on any given play goes way, way up.

Yep. I'd love to see more play action, more pump fakes, and more designed rollouts. With a QB like Adrian you shouldn't hinge your success on drop-back pass protection. 

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, Mavric said:

It is absolutely at least two.  And I'm pretty sure it's three.

I thought it was two on the live look but when you watch the field level replay you can see three.  He reads the combo route to the right at first, then he moves left to the first crosser then farther left to the second crosser and that's when he sees there isn't any contain and runs for the corner.

If he looked at two- then he blew it, his first crosser was open

12 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

If he looked at two- then he blew it, his first crosser was open

I'd tend to agree - a dart to Liewer over the middle is probably the move there.

*Edit: desertshox points out the ref was in the line of sight from Martinez to Liewer actually.

But like, sort of weird and probably pointless (for all of us here) to nitpick a play where he scores a TD also.

• Plus1 2