ESPN guys pick USC

Sorry guys, but it is a realistic pick.  They have a lot of talent.  We are still considered down on talent compared to the top teams in the country.  We know a little more about what we have than they do I am sure.  It is our life.  Not theirs.

Last years #2 team at home against a team that lost to Missouri and Kansas.  Yes we beat Michigan but they don't have them high either.  So where would you expect them to pick.  They did just exactly what everyone else out of the state of Nebraska woud do.

I agree Mark May is a $hit head, but realisticly they are right.  Not saying it will happen that way but the odds are what they are going by.  I would guess we will be a 10 point dog going in.

Sometimes ESPN deserves the rath, but not this time.

:yeah

I think we are all guilty of drinking our kool-aid....but the fact of the matter is they were picking who they thought should win, not if they thought there was a decent chance that we upset them, which there is. And their reasoning is consistent with what we all say is our biggest weakness (secondary)

Even if we win both our games and they lose to Arkansas, we will still be the dogs, why? they will spin it that USC will be juiced up after a loss and we will come out flat yada yada yada....

My opinion of Mark May?

head_up_ass.gif

Doesn't surprise me at all that they picked SC to beat the Huskers. Just another reason why I think the Huskers will shock the college football world. That chip on the Huskers shoulder just keeps getting bigger, and that bulliten board is getting more material every day. GBR!!

You know, chimming in here. Why wouldn't one pick USC? What are they, like 34-1 over the past three years, with two NC's? Plus, they have recruited out the ying yang. The've got talent, a boatload of it. Nebraska has to prove something first. To much has been put into beating a punchless, beaten CU, and one of the worst Michigan teams in the past 15 or so years. Hell, if my life depended on it, I'd probably pick USC as well, they have earned it. If you do this stuff for a living, and are not connected to NU, you pick USC as well. That said, lets go kick thier a***s!!! :restore

you got to understand, we have a patch work defensive secondary and the reality is that is going to hurt.......i am hoping for a good game at USC, but i expect our dbs will get burned early and often......they will all get a quick education, but that is life and that is our glaring weakness on d.......no one's fault, just going to be a problem area this year.......and no one better complain 'cause we simply don't have the experience and swagger in the backfield.....we know it and our opponents know it......our guys will have to suck it up and they will get better back there later in the season........

hunter

Young secondary vs. young QB

and you give the nod to the QB.

:rollin:rollin:rollin

as much as I hate to admit it, I'll have nerves going into the USC game too. I have always said that USC is very much overrated (especially last year), but they aren't to be confused as a weak team by any means. Losing some of their big players...who knows how well they will play. I think it will come down to who wants it more. A team that has won almost every single game for the past 3 years, or a Big XII team who's ready to show the nation what they're made of...and who doesn't want to let their fans down. We'll want to be the first team to beat USC in 3 years of regular season play.

I don't think the game is going to be a blowout, but it's going to be damn good. We may just see a nail biter...and god I hope we're the ones to prevail it.

I, for one, know I'm 100% behind my team during that game. Let's just hope my neighbors aren't trying to go to bed early that Saturday night.

GO BIG RED

:restore

The more sports channels pick and drool over USC the more over confident they will become. Southern Cal replaces their QB and entire offensive line. We return a veteran QB and will field quite possibly the best set of running backs we have had in years. Maybe since Osborne was coach.

USC is going to go into the game overconfident and favored. I really think our offense will be explosive this season. We will have the potential to score on any play from any part of the field. We just may surprise a few sportscasters. If we win in LA, we will have a monster of a season.

Sorry guys, but it is a realistic pick.  They have a lot of talent.  We are still considered down on talent compared to the top teams in the country.  We know a little more about what we have than they do I am sure.  It is our life.  Not theirs.

Last years #2 team at home against a team that lost to Missouri and Kansas.  Yes we beat Michigan but they don't have them high either.  So where would you expect them to pick.  They did just exactly what everyone else out of the state of Nebraska woud do.

I agree Mark May is a $hit head, but realisticly they are right.  Not saying it will happen that way but the odds are what they are going by.  I would guess we will be a 10 point dog going in.

Sometimes ESPN deserves the rath, but not this time.

I have to agree, until we prove them wrong this is the safe bet. I know that we are improved and we should be alot better, but remember they have been having excellent recruiting classes as well. It should be a tough game, but if they score a couple of quickies and get old moe on their side it could get ugly. If we stop them early and hit them in the mouth right away we should have a chance to make believers out of some of the non Huskers out there.

mark may is a stool sampler and an idiot. Lets shut this ass up once and for all.

GBR

Its not surprising that any of these guys would pick against us, we've been down the last couple years, this comes with the territory.

What IS annoying is what they did so often last year-- they pick against Nebraska, fine. then absolutely refuse to give the Huskers credit when they win or when there was a close game. ie Tech, Colorado, and Michigan. before those games they said the Husker were toast. after, nah, "all those teams just sucked anyway, that's why we picked 'em all to win by double digits".

not even a "they played a good game..." nothing but negative.

no matter how well the Huskers do this year, i don't expect the post-game treatment to change.

Truth be told the huskers are still unproven to day the least. SC should be a good team and maybe even a little better than good but not great, at least early.

I enjoyed the wins over CU and MI however neither team was of the caliber I expect from SC. The other concern I have is with the SC coaches pulling a couple of rabbits out of their hat. Give the coaching staff credit not only do they have great talent but they do a fine job of coaching. Not sure Cally gets any respect nationally and this may be rightfully so. Until we win a few of the big ones, ie SC and Texas maybe the respect isn't earned. This could be the year. One thing is for certain he needs to have the first string ready out of the box so that the 2nd teamers can have some real game time by the SC game. They've got some horses and we may need fresh legs.

Beating SC and UT will be huge victories for NU and we know that (fans, players, coaches alike) however if we beat these teams, you're not going to hear "Nebraska is playing strong" or "Nebraska is back" or "Nebraska is a NC caliber team this year". Instead you're going to hear "Yeah they beat SC/UT but they lost a lot of players so don't read anything into the victory" or "Young/Leinart left UT/SC so these are actually hollow victories". We could beat these teams by 30 or 40 points. The media won't care. They'll be sure to remind everyone how many key players left each team and how each team is in a "rebuilding" mode. They did the same thing after our win against Michigan. You didn't hear anything about NU playing tough and coming from behind. Instead you heard stories about how Carr may not be right for the job anymore or how Carr is losing his edge as a coach th_blahblah266.gifth_blahblah266.gifth_blahblah266.gifth_blahblah266.gif

You can almost bet your left nut no matter how big of a victory Nebraska gets or how well we dominate, the media is always going to find a way to spin things so they can steal the thunder right out from underneath the players feet.

With all due respect to our beloved Huskers, USC deserves the nod here. I think we have more guts, but there is an undeniable talent gap between our team and theirs. The key will be to get to whoever they have at QB quickly. If we can shake him up and keep him in panic mode we have a solid chance of taking them down. If he has time to set up and throw and his receivers have the time to get downfield, we're toast. As much as I love Grixby he just can't match up against very big physical receivers. The key of this game is to CONSTANTLY pressure the QB and keep him hurried or on his back. Their receivers are so explosive that it only would take a few big plays for them to put this game away. We have a good chance, but USC is the favorite here. I would give the Huskers a 30-35% chance of winning this game.

I also agree that if we come away with a win, mainstream media outlets will immediately belittle it as much as possible. A shame indeed- :steam

We all know that if we do beat USC it will be an upset! We want everyone to pick USC so that the victory will be that much sweeter! As lots of people have chimed in USC will be tough...even with all of their changes....as will Texas....We are still improving and wins against these teams would be huge for our program! So Go Big Red and :restore