NBA 2023-24

Wemby had a bit more hype than Zion Williamson, a bit less than LeBron. Lotta hype for all three. 

If we're talking about generational, franchise altering #1 draft picks a team would be willing to tank for, those are the only three I can think of in the last 20 years or so. 

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Which would mean Lebron was a greater one, no?

Regardless, potential as a prospect and hype aren't the exact same thing.

No, you are bending your words now. 

You said Wemby wasn't 1/10th the hype (and expectations) of Lebron James.   You are clearly wrong on that.

The intel from every scout and media personnel said Wemby is the greatest player to enter the draft since Lebron James - 20 years ago.   It was said for 8 months prior to the draft and up until the draft.  

Meaning, nobody since Lebron was as hyped or as good coming into the league since James.  Nobody. Until Wemby.

I said prospect.  So I apologize if I chose the wrong word for your liking.  I think he is a pretty good player so far and you can see that Wemby could possibly dominate in the near future.  

But it doesn't mean he was never hyped as much as Lebron.  And I don't think Wemby has lived up to the hype either.  

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Wemby had a bit more hype than Zion Williamson, a bit less than LeBron. Lotta hype for all three. 

If we're talking about generational, franchise altering #1 draft picks a team would be willing to tank for, those are the only three I can think of in the last 20 years or so. 

Yes, agreed totally (especially the tanking part). 

And here is some of the problems I have with this when I find myself struggling to accept some things.

Popovich was supposedly the greatest coach of all time (debatable), but he couldn't win without his big 3, big 4 and role players.  Duncan, Manu, Parker, Bruce Bowen, Robert Horry, Michael Finley, Bonner, Kawhi Leonard, Patty Mills, Danny Green, Tiago Splitter.....

The San Antonio Spurs tanked terribly last year with their eyes focused on a top 3 draft pick.  They finished with 22 wins and the 3rd worst record in the NBA.  

But the NBA loves a good SA Spurs team and somehow the Spurs won the lottery and got the #1 pick - a generational talent in Wemby.  Perhaps that was just luck of lottery balls falling down on San Antonio.  Who really knows.

However, the other problem I have is that the San Antonio Spurs won just 22 games last year, and now this year with Wemby, they have only won 13 games so far with a month left in the season.  

Yeah that's right - with Wemby, the Spurs have regressed even worse than last year.  But Wemby is going to win the rookie of the year award.  

That doesn't make sense to me.  And it's a crying shame if he wins the ROY.  

He is averaging 20 and 10 and some blocks.  You see some dominating nights at times.  But in the past 10 years, a lot of rookies have averaged 20 and elevated their team.

Wemby has not elevated his team, the Spurs.  And San Antonio has the 3rd worse record in the league.  13 wins....

I don't get it man.  I'm not saying he isn't good, because I know he has the potential to become great in a year or two....

Rookie of the year?  Nope

San Antonio gets a top 3 lottery pick again?  For popa Popovich?  

Wow... this league man, it's so strange and relies on entertainment value at the heart and center of it.  

I love it and I hate it lol

I do think Pop is one of the great NBA coaches of all time, but like you I'm a bit mystified by his inability to get more from less, or simply improve when handed the rookie superstar who, by all indications, is the real deal. There was some sniping that other Spurs players weren't assisting Wemby out of spite or hazing, and it's hard to imagine Pop letting that happen.

Not sure where you're going with the "entertainment value" comment, though. Sure it's entertainment, but it generally comes from great players earning it on the court. Lotta hyped players lose their minutes to less-heralded guys playing their asses off, which includes fundamentals like ball hawking and defense. 

• Plus1 1
On 3/9/2024 at 8:56 AM, Guy Chamberlin said:

I do think Pop is one of the great NBA coaches of all time, but like you I'm a bit mystified by his inability to get more from less, or simply improve when handed the rookie superstar who, by all indications, is the real deal. There was some sniping that other Spurs players weren't assisting Wemby out of spite or hazing, and it's hard to imagine Pop letting that happen.

Not sure where you're going with the "entertainment value" comment, though. Sure it's entertainment, but it generally comes from great players earning it on the court. Lotta hyped players lose their minutes to less-heralded guys playing their asses off, which includes fundamentals like ball hawking and defense. 

Pop has been mailing it in for a couple years, IMO.  Spurs haven’t had a ton of talent, but they have looked like a poorly coached team on both ends of the floor for awhile now. The Sochan point guard experiment was silly.  Pop is a so called defensive genius, yet they’ve consistently been a poor defensive team. 

I’ve watched them a few times and they look like they’re just making things up on offense. Only thing I can remember him doing recently if not was going full Karen-pop mode and scolding spurs fans when they booed Kawhi.  

• Plus1 1

On 3/8/2024 at 7:29 PM, admo said:

But the NBA loves a good SA Spurs team

Not sure I agree with that and I'm curious why you think so. 

The Spurs have to be the most boring championship franchise I can think of across any major sport in terms of entertainment. If anything I'd say their success in the 00s-10s would be despite the NBA having a vested interest in flashier, sexier storylines from bigger markets and/or more storied franchises. 

• Thanks 1
On 2/29/2024 at 8:39 AM, Guy Chamberlin said:

Tell you what, Mav. Give me a diversion you particularly enjoy, and I will carefully explain to you why you shouldn't like it. 

We could start a thread called Nebraska Football Is Not Football. It will contain observations just as valid and factual as your rant against the NBA.

Oh s#!t. I guess we already have plenty of those. 

I've never said anything about trying to convince you you shouldn't enjoy it.  

But strawmen are fun.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, Jason Sitoke said:

West is shaping up to be a bloodbath in the postseason.  Hard to find a definitive easy out in the top 10. 

Depending on Steph's ankle, GS will be an easy out, Minnesota, while not an "easy" out, losing KAT, they are a second round exit team at best now and depending on how far they slide, could be a first round L against Pelicans.  I do feel the team coming out the West will be either OKC or Denver. Denver with about a 70% chance of winning the conference and then hopefully embarrasing those guys from the New England area

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

11 minutes ago, Madcows said:

Depending on Steph's ankle, GS will be an easy out, Minnesota, while not an "easy" out, losing KAT, they are a second round exit team at best now and depending on how far they slide, could be a first round L against Pelicans.  I do feel the team coming out the West will be either OKC or Denver. Denver with about a 70% chance of winning the conference and then hopefully embarrasing those guys from the New England area

I agree that OKC is up there.  Lots of people writing them off due to inexperience.  I think their style of play is suited for the postseason 

• Plus1 1

OKC vs Denver would be a fun match-up. Clippers could make it interesting. Those seem like the best in the West to me. 

My Warriors have too much hill to climb and I can't quite believe the Timberwolves based on history. I still don't get the Pelicans. Don't want to see the Lakers at all. Suns and Mavs keep playing like the slightly over .500 teams they are, but they wouldn't be boring. 

• Plus1 1
On 3/10/2024 at 5:00 PM, Lorewarn said:

Not sure I agree with that and I'm curious why you think so. 

The Spurs have to be the most boring championship franchise I can think of across any major sport in terms of entertainment. If anything I'd say their success in the 00s-10s would be despite the NBA having a vested interest in flashier, sexier storylines from bigger markets and/or more storied franchises. 

Thank you! but I could talk freely about the Spurs, plus their nostalgia and the NBA embracing the franchise for paragraphs upon paragraphs about it, because that's what I do at times - and for the sake of everybody - we don't want that lol ! :LOLtartar

But I will say that I completely agree with your first sentence.  Totally accurate.  The SA Spurs were Boring AF.  Small City/market.  The "underdog" franchise.  Bank shots.  Flopping.  Duncan staring at refs if they call a foul in the paint.  Popovich being a snooty a$$h@!e to everyone. Resting players (they created a term called "load management").  And somehow I think because of that nostalgia, the league misses The system.  They were a true powerhouse doing it and the NBA cradled to them.  When I say NBA, I am talking about the league, the media and even officiating them in the biggest TV games.  Don't mess with San Antonio.  

5 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

OKC vs Denver would be a fun match-up. Clippers could make it interesting. Those seem like the best in the West to me. 

My Warriors have too much hill to climb and I can't quite believe the Timberwolves based on history. I still don't get the Pelicans. Don't want to see the Lakers at all. Suns and Mavs keep playing like the slightly over .500 teams they are, but they wouldn't be boring. 

As a Nuggets fan, a healthy Minnesota team would scare me as much as anyone. Big front court with long defensive wings and a stud playmaker.