2022 Fall Camp Notes - Special Teams

• 3 weeks later...

Last year, we were 129th out of 130 teams on special teams.  So far, we are 84th out of 97.  Not sure why there is only 97.

But, I feel that our STs are better.  We are kicking through the endzone.  Our punting and punt coverage has been better.  We blocked a punt.  We did miss one FG.  It's only been two games.  So, there isn't much data to put into the calculations.  I wonder how we would be ranked if the horrible onside kick and the squib kick would have been just kicked into the endzone like the rest.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Last year, we were 129th out of 130 teams on special teams.  So far, we are 84th out of 97.  Not sure why there is only 97.

But, I feel that our STs are better.  We are kicking through the endzone.  Our punting and punt coverage has been better.  We did miss one FG.  It's only been two games.  So, there isn't much data to put into the calculations.  I wonder how we would be ranked if the horrible onside kick and the squib kick would have been just kicked into the endzone like the rest.

Probably still low because we've missed two field goals and don't have many (any?) punt return yards.

• Plus1 1

I feel like the eye test these two games shows a much better special teams as a group compared to last year.   

one of the missed field goals was pretty lengthy against NW and didn’t miss by much.   As Buster said, the kickoffs have been just fine outside of one coaching decision. 

Punting has been solid, but would still like to see more out the kick and punt return teams.  

overall it’s improvement, but can still get better. 

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I feel like the eye test these two games shows a much better special teams as a group compared to last year.   

one of the missed field goals was pretty lengthy against NW and didn’t miss by much.   As Buster said, the kickoffs have been just fine outside of one coaching decision. 

Punting has been solid, but would still like to see more out the kick and punt return teams.  

overall it’s improvement, but can still get better. 

That's pretty much where I'm at.  The missed FG against NW was at best a 50/50 shot.  So, not too upset about that.  The one against ND probably should have been made.  But, I don't remember how far it was.  Kickoffs, punts and the coverage on those units have been solid.  I feel we are returning more punts and kicks (but don't have stats to back that up) than last year, but, that's where I think we could be doing better.  Also though, I haven't seen some brain dead decisions on fielding punts like we have seen.  It seems like they are making good decisions as to when to field it and when to let it go.  There's been a few times on punts that I wished they would have tried returning it instead of fair catching it though.  

• Plus1 1

I feel we are returning more punts and kicks (but don't have stats to back that up) than last year, but, that's where I think we could be doing better.  

We are #78 in average yards per kickoff return, which is better than #121 last year but not great.  We've only returned two kickoffs on the year.

We don't even show up on the punt return stats because I don't believe we're returned one yet.

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

We are #78 in average yards per kickoff return, which is better than #121 last year but not great.  We've only returned two kickoffs on the year.

We don't even show up on the punt return stats because I don't believe we're returned one yet.

what bothers me the most is they leave the long snapper un blocked so he can just run free down the middle.  so stupid.  If the returners see a guy coming right at them full speed they will most likely fair catch.  I know snappers are protected but thats only at the LOS.  Once he leaves he's fair game.  They also don't even look like they set up for a return once the ball is kicked.  

9 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

what bothers me the most is they leave the long snapper un blocked so he can just run free down the middle.  so stupid.  If the returners see a guy coming right at them full speed they will most likely fair catch.  I know snappers are protected but thats only at the LOS.  Once he leaves he's fair game.  They also don't even look like they set up for a return once the ball is kicked.  

Again I'm not coach but I haven't understood our punt return either.  That punt block by Wright last week is the first time in a while that I can even remember us going after a punt in quite a while yet we don't really seem to set up for a return either.  It seems like we're in a "safe punt return" 95 % of the time. 

26 minutes ago, Farms said:

Again I'm not coach but I haven't understood our punt return either.  That punt block by Wright last week is the first time in a while that I can even remember us going after a punt in quite a while yet we don't really seem to set up for a return either.  It seems like we're in a "safe punt return" 95 % of the time. 

another thing that I don't get is how the punt team is basically sacrificing 4 players that aren't going to run down the field with how they line up.  Teams these days have the 3 punt protectors and the punter in the back field.  Just send on or two guys that might slip bye and just block everyone at the line as long as you can then peel off to set up a sideline return to either side (whichever one is called before hand).  I just always see half the punt team running down the field unmolested 

• Plus1 2

If you're never going to return punts, it's pretty easy for the other team to keep blockers back so you don't block the punt either.

This is true.

But most of the problem this year (and probably last year) is the defense doesn't get off the field fast enough.  When they are punting from mid-field they can lob a punt with extra hang time to force fair catches.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Mavric said:

This is true.

But most of the problem this year (and probably last year) is the defense doesn't get off the field fast enough.  When they are punting from mid-field they can lob a punt with extra hang time to force fair catches.

That is a very good point.  Average punt for ND was 27 yards.  If you have a punter that's good at hang time, it doesn't give the returner a chance to return it.