Northwestern Play-by-Play

Mavric

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Would have been interesting.  Looks like they definitely dropped coverage on him as everyone else was manned up.

I can understand if a WR is not within your site and open. But, he should have been seeing both of these guys at the same time. 

Not a huge deal because we scored anyway. But, if we hadn’t….

15 hours ago, Mavric said:

Ton of credit to Thompson here.  And Vokolek.  I really didn't think he caught it.

Pretty sure this play wasn't designed to go weak-side as we pulled another OL to the overload side.  Looks like he didn't see a hole and cut back.  Not that there was much to cut back to.

Did Yant get benched after this? I don't remember him much after this play, but the beer was free at this point too.:lol:

It's clearly supposed to be a play to the left that he cut back for almost nothing. He bounces it outside to the left and he might have got some good yards. He did the same thing last year and started riding the pine. 

16 hours ago, Mavric said:

I didn't notice until now that this is basically a modified counter-trey.  

Nice hole opened by the guys up front.  But Grant turned a good play into a great one.

This was a bread and butter play for us last season.

• Plus1 1

Interested to know how the "creativity" comment applies here.

On one hand, it's pretty creative to bring extra OLs to (hopefully) get a push.  Piper and I think Williams are both in there.

On the other hand, we pretty much telegraphed where we were going to go.  

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Interested to know how the "creativity" comment applies here.

On one hand, it's pretty creative to bring extra OLs to (hopefully) get a push.  Piper and I think Williams are both in there.

On the other hand, we pretty much telegraphed where we were going to go.  

Two things about the play in the second tweet.

A). The left guard does absolutely nothing.  He doesn't fire off and doesn't engage anyone.

and

B). Why the hell wouldn't the RB go slightly more left where there's room and very well might score?  Instead, he just lowers his head and runs into the pile.

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Then we turn around and run the exact same play.

The guy lined up as the left TE - I think that might be Williams - was extremely slow off the ball both times.  Really cost us on this play.

Again, Yant doesn't hit the hole that's there.  He just runs into the pile.  If he goes slightly left, there's a hole for him to score.

• Plus1 2

7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Then we turn around and run the exact same play.

The guy lined up as the left TE - I think that might be Williams - was extremely slow off the ball both times.  Really cost us on this play.

Naked boot was open both times.  neither edge players respecting CT on both plays.  Guess they will save that for some other time

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Two things about the play in the second tweet.

A). The left guard does absolutely nothing.  He doesn't fire off and doesn't engage anyone.

and

B). Why the hell wouldn't the RB go slightly more left where there's room and very well might score?  Instead, he just lowers his head and runs into the pile.

A) Yeah ... not great, Bob.

B) Because Yant isn't that great of a RB.

• Plus1 1