WR Keelan Smith

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

12 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Smith commit?

• Nebraska
    • Iowa
    • Kansas State

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Nebraska is going to have to both develop players like Rhule has done AND acquire high end talent. Nebraska isn't just competing with Ohio State and Michigan, but with the elimination of divisions they have to contend with the recruiting prowess of USC and Penn State as well. 

Agree with this. I have said for years  finishing 19 or 23 in recruiting is not getting it done. I think Rhule will continue this trend for a couple years but what will change is if he wins and shows player development getting guys to the league. Previous staffs failed miserably in this regard. He has to correct that and then the recruiting will be a byproduct of that success where we start reaching top 15 classes consistently and finishing seasons rankled with winning records. 

• Plus1 2

18 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Nebraska has not recruited well, in my opinion, over the last several years. People focus too much on the final class ranking number - finishing with the #24 class for example - without realizing that's not much different than the class that finishes at #45 or #50. The difference is class size and one or two 4* players.

Nebraska is going to have to both develop players like Rhule has done AND acquire high end talent. Nebraska isn't just competing with Ohio State and Michigan, but with the elimination of divisions they have to contend with the recruiting prowess of USC and Penn State as well. 

You're focusing on the wrong thing from my view with your emphasis on 4 and 5 star kids being the key metric. The last time we had a winning season was six years ago. We shouldn't worry about the Ohio States and Michigans of the world when we're not even beating the Minnesotas, Northwestern and Wisconsins of the league. Until August, we'll just have to hope and trust that the coaching staff knows what they're doing and not get hung up on what the "experts" rate 17-18 year old young men. 

Back to getting this discussion on track, beyond being a legacy and having the physical presence, I like this commitment as it further strengthens our ties to Kansas City. Again, nice addition to the program.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

You're focusing on the wrong thing from my view with your emphasis on 4 and 5 star kids being the key metric. The last time we had a winning season was six years ago. We shouldn't worry about the Ohio States and Michigans of the world when we're not even beating the Minnesotas, Northwestern and Wisconsins of the league. Until August, we'll just have to hope and trust that the coaching staff knows what they're doing and not get hung up on what the "experts" rate 17-18 year old young men. 

Back to getting this discussion on track, beyond being a legacy and having the physical presence, I like this commitment as it further strengthens our ties to Kansas City. Again, nice addition to the program.

I understand this. Beating divisional teams is the next step for Nebraska. Unfortunately for them, the best teams in our soon-to-be eliminated division just so happen to be some of the best developmental programs in the country. 

Nebraska is unlikely to do it at their level - few teams do, with the exception of Utah. What Nebraska can do is field more talent to make up for it, something they are on pace to fail at given the current recruiting class. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I understand this. Beating divisional teams is the next step for Nebraska. Unfortunately for them, the best teams in our soon-to-be eliminated division just so happen to be some of the best developmental programs in the country. 

Nebraska is unlikely to do it at their level - few teams do, with the exception of Utah. What Nebraska can do is field more talent to make up for it, something they are on pace to fail at given the current recruiting class. 

Nebraska has the 4 and 5 star talent you crave, meaning we've signed more 4 and 5 star players/transfers than most of the teams in the Big Ten for years, consistently being in the top half of the conference based on the stars... Ratings don't mean jack without development which is where we have regrettably lacked since Bo was head coach. I'd much rather have several 3 star athletes who develop into great players than 4 & 5 star guys who flop. Keelan (topic of this thread) represents a great opportunity where the coaches can mix and match him around, similar to how they are handling AJ Rollins. Doesn't matter that he's a 3 star as he appears to be a talented player and will hopefully find the right fit once he gets to campus.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Have patience young grasshopper.  Just give it time.

• Plus1 1

• 1 month later...

4 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I know he's listed as a wr but didn't he get recruited as a tight end?  If we get Carter Nelson then wouldn't we have recruiting 3 tight ends for this recruiting class right??  That's alot of tight ends to take.

• Mavric changed the title to WR Keelan Smith