Rhule Positivity & is the Solich Curse Broken?

TGHusker

On 11/28/2022 at 9:46 AM, TGHusker said:

I wanted to start a thread on the positives of hiring Matt Rhule.  There will always be doubters and distractors. But at this moment it is time for Husker Nation to come together and bring positive energy into our program. We've had too much negativity over the past 8 years.  

So lets look at the numbers as to why this is a good hire - and I'm not talking about on the field numbers.  Some tongue in cheek here as I do a Di Vince code play wt the numbers that

came to my mind

The signs that the Solich Curse & the Bo Curse (firing 9 win coaches) are now broken :

5:     Runza -Frank - Rhule    all  have 5 letters.   It is meant to be.  Rhule was hired to end the Solich Curse

5      also stands for "freedom, Independence, individuality, adaptability, and "life lessons learned through experience".  Husker fans have learned from the school of hard knocks and the primary lesson:  Humility and Patience

7      stands for Completeness, wholeness   -  Iowa's win streak over the Huskers stopped at 7. That cycle has been completed.  The lessons have been learned (see # 5)

8      Victory, Prosperity & overcoming    The last game of the season providing a new start - after 8 years in the wilderness.  On the 8th year we beat Iowa in the last game.  Victory over Iowa was a preview of things to come

Also 8 year contract -  FIRST TO NAME IT - NC WINNER IN YEAR 8  OR BEFORE !!:restore2

9 -    The # of letters in "Matt Rhule".   9 stands for completion.  The finalization of a cycle.  Thus, the Solich/Bo Curse is completed. The cycle is over.   We can proclaim it as so - SO BE IT!

11    # of letters in "Trev Alberts"   &  # of letters in "Frank Solich" - 11 stands of awakening, enlightenment, contentment and good fortune -  This is where we are headed as a program. 

Ok seriously:    I like the Rhule hiring because it gives the us much needed positive experience at the HC position.  Let's face it: Frost was still a novice HC when he was hired and Riley's experience - while long term- wasn't very successful.  Rhule is a developer and a builder and that is what we need at Nebraska. 

By the way -  I looked up those number meanings on the internet - I'm not into new age numerology  :B)

So what do you find positive about the Rhule hiring?? 

After actually reading this, this is positively ridiculous

• Plus1 2

On 9/23/2023 at 4:52 AM, teachercd said:

Well, fans and local media did all the could to get Bo fired.

Fans and local media did all they could to get Frost hired (as they should have) and then to get him fired.

What other state has sooooo many soap opera stories, that actually either get printed, eluded to or talked about on air.

1.  Bo getting kicked out of a middle school basketball game

2.  Bo getting kicked out of a middle school softball game

3.  Bo and Carl stalking a booster and forcing him to meet in the basement of a hotel the morning of the UT game

4. Moos drunk and passed out at a bar

5.  Frost drunk at a golf event where kids were coming to meet him

6.  Frost and Matt tearing up a Lincoln CC and almost having the cops called on them

7.  Frost and Matt having some secret room/apt where they f#&% coeds

I mean, the list goes on and on AND again the local media talks about it.

It happens everywhere. The media talks about it everywhere. The media reports all kinds of scuttlebutt, including fan grumbling and team discord. Why wouldn't they? 

Nebraska fans were more forgiving of Bo Pelini than a lot of fanbases might be, and that includes his hometown Youngstown State, where he whipped up plenty of fresh controversies before getting a quicker hook than he did at Nebraska.  They were just covered by media you don't read, because why would you? 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It happens everywhere. The media talks about it everywhere. The media reports all kinds of scuttlebutt, including fan grumbling and team discord. Why wouldn't they? 

Nebraska fans were more forgiving of Bo Pelini than a lot of fanbases might be, and that includes his hometown Youngstown State, where he whipped up plenty of fresh controversies before getting a quicker hook than he did at Nebraska.  They were just covered by media you don't read, because why would you? 

I don't read it.  I listen to shows while I am driving like a normal person.  I am guessing a lot of it gets written about though.

And is 100% doesn't happen "everywhere" there is zero coverage of the the coach of Akron does, or SJSU or NAU.  It happens at about 15-20 places, unless it is something HUGE of course.

And, I have no idea about anything that Bo did at Youngstown, never heard a thing and I don't read the Youngstown Express. 

But there is no chance that you disagree that the media can/does play SOME part in coaches getting canned, right?

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I don't read it.  I listen to shows while I am driving like a normal person.  I am guessing a lot of it gets written about though.

And is 100% doesn't happen "everywhere" there is zero coverage of the the coach of Akron does, or SJSU or NAU.  It happens at about 15-20 places, unless it is something HUGE of course.

And, I have no idea about anything that Bo did at Youngstown, never heard a thing and I don't read the Youngstown Express. 

But there is no chance that you disagree that the media can/does play SOME part in coaches getting canned, right?

I'm trying to tell you, yes...it happens at Akron if the Akron coach says or does something controversial. It will be covered by Akron sports media because that's all they have to talk about in Akron. So you can't really say it doesn't happen anywhere else when you don't follow other programs like you do Nebraska's. The bigger and more prestigious the program, the bigger play it gets, sure. But again, not a Nebraska thing. There are juicy coaching scandals every year. 

Fun fact: in 40 of 50 states, a college football or basketball coach is the highest paid state employee. That earns you a tick more scrutiny

As for Bo at Youngstown State: he took some heat when he got two consecutive unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, setting his team back 30 yards when they had the chance to make a game-winning final drive. Bo took lot of heat --- some of it national -- when he actively recruited and played a convicted rapist at YSU. Bo called out the fans and media at YSU, not unlike he did at Nebraska. And shortly after he was fired, YSU got hit with multiple NCAA recruiting violations by Bo and his staff. And none of that comes close to the s#!tstorm the fans and media at LSU threw at Bo when his unit posted one of the worst defensive seasons in LSU history. 

I mean, the media plays a part when they post fan reactions and their own opinions. They generally have better off-the-record insights and rumors from players, coaches, donors, and staff.  The decision-makers read that stuff, whether they admit it or not, but they're never going to let one or two local pundits influence them. By the time the axe fell on Bo, Mike and Scott there was already a lot of critical mass.

• Plus1 3
9 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm trying to tell you, yes...it happens at Akron if the Akron coach says or does something controversial. It will be covered by Akron sports media because that's all they have to talk about in Akron. So you can't really say it doesn't happen anywhere else when you don't follow other programs like you do Nebraska's. The bigger and more prestigious the program, the bigger play it gets, sure. But again, not a Nebraska thing. There are juicy coaching scandals every year. 

Fun fact: in 40 of 50 states, a college football or basketball coach is the highest paid state employee. That earns you a tick more scrutiny

As for Bo at Youngstown State: he took some heat when he got two consecutive unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, setting his team back 30 yards when they had the chance to make a game-winning final drive. Bo took lot of heat --- some of it national -- when he actively recruited and played a convicted rapist at YSU. Bo called out the fans and media at YSU, not unlike he did at Nebraska. And shortly after he was fired, YSU got hit with multiple NCAA recruiting violations by Bo and his staff. And none of that comes close to the s#!tstorm the fans and media at LSU threw at Bo when his unit posted one of the worst defensive seasons in LSU history. 

I mean, the media plays a part when they post fan reactions and their own opinions. They generally have better off-the-record insights and rumors from players, coaches, donors, and staff.  The decision-makers read that stuff, whether they admit it or not, but they're never going to let one or two local pundits influence them. By the time the axe fell on Bo, Mike and Scott there was already a lot of critical mass.

And once again, you agree with me.  

And you know a lot about Bo, wow.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Media and local sportswriters certainly influence the narrative and conversation around a program, but it's always a bit unusual to me when they get blamed or criticized for certain things... like the firing of a head coach. Pelini is probably the most notable example locally. The big bad "media" has always been a punching bag for his firing.

Nevermind the facts his program had stagnated, he had an awful/embarrassing temper, he was getting blown out against good competition 1-2 times per year, there had been a noticeable talent drop off compared to his first few seasons, or all of the other rumors that were permeated on places like HUSKERBOARD more than they were in the newspaper or from reputable journalists. Also nevermind the fact that sportswriters often share opinions based on feedback from we the fans (I saw people on here calling for Bo's firing long, long before I ever heard a local media personality suggest it or really talk about it).

It's just a weird outlet for frustration. I'm not saying the media can't help shape a story or narrative, but some of us should stop pretending like the "media" is a major reason he or Solich are gone. If Solich hadn't wanted to be in the position he was in, he shouldn't have had a bad '02 season or allowed the program talent/depth to suffer. If Pelini hadn't wanted to be in the position he was in, he shouldn't have been a raging d!(k all the time with a program painfully treading water.

Blame the people who actually caused the issues, not the ones covering them.

• Plus1 2

The whole argument regarding the media is a motte and bailey.  The only time I mentioned the media in my post was: "we decided to instead gulp down the excuses for firing proven winners given to us by incompetent ADs, and sports writers." 

I never said the media caused Bo or Frank to be fired (although they certainly didn't help), I said there are portions of the fanbase who believe the excuses put out by our incompetent ADs and sports writers.  So we never learn from our mistakes.  We keep repeating them, and just changing the excuses.  I trust Tom Osborne to fire a coach or make a hire, not Shawn Eichorst or Dirk Chatelain.

Is anyone arguing that the sports writers don't provide constant excuses for poor decisions by our ADs and administration.  If they were truly critical they would be attacking the poor decision making going back almost 20 years now, by those not named Tom Osborne.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
40 minutes ago, JeffKinney87 said:

Is anyone arguing that the sports writers don't provide constant excuses for poor decisions by our ADs and administration.  If they were truly critical they would be attacking the poor decision making going back almost 20 years now, by those not named Tom Osborne.

I think over the course of every season, the sportswriters cover every base; providing excuses, sniffing out blame, reasons for both optimism and concern, the rumblings of the fandom, and the view from outside observers. 20 years of poor decision making actually IS the running story. The truly critical media also point out a couple of those poor decisions involve Tom Osborne. 

The fact that some people think the media makes excuses for the coaches, and some think they are way too critical of the coaches kinda confirms this. They are never as mean as we are here in social media. 

• TBH 1

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

Media and local sportswriters certainly influence the narrative and conversation around a program, but it's always a bit unusual to me when they get blamed or criticized for certain things... like the firing of a head coach. Pelini is probably the most notable example locally. The big bad "media" has always been a punching bag for his firing.

Nevermind the facts his program had stagnated, he had an awful/embarrassing temper, he was getting blown out against good competition 1-2 times per year, there had been a noticeable talent drop off compared to his first few seasons, or all of the other rumors that were permeated on places like HUSKERBOARD more than they were in the newspaper or from reputable journalists. Also nevermind the fact that sportswriters often share opinions based on feedback from we the fans (I saw people on here calling for Bo's firing long, long before I ever heard a local media personality suggest it or really talk about it).

It's just a weird outlet for frustration. I'm not saying the media can't help shape a story or narrative, but some of us should stop pretending like the "media" is a major reason he or Solich are gone. If Solich hadn't wanted to be in the position he was in, he shouldn't have had a bad '02 season or allowed the program talent/depth to suffer. If Pelini hadn't wanted to be in the position he was in, he shouldn't have been a raging d!(k all the time with a program painfully treading water.

Blame the people who actually caused the issues, not the ones covering them.

I think the word "blame" is the issue here.

In Franks case, I don't really remember the media doing much of anything negative.

With Bo, I mean, you had a reporter leak a private recording.  I personally don't blame the media for Bo getting canned (I probably blame SE and a lot of the fans that constantly need the head coach to give them HJ's and tell them they are the best fans ever) but the media (not all of them) enjoyed poking Bo.  There is nothing wrong that, that is the job (sort of) but like you said, it all plays a part.  

Bo was a lot closer to 10 and 11 win seasons than he was to 4 and 5 win seasons.  Why people keep pretending that is not the case is odd.

• TBH 2
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I think the word "blame" is the issue here.

In Franks case, I don't really remember the media doing much of anything negative.

With Bo, I mean, you had a reporter leak a private recording.  I personally don't blame the media for Bo getting canned (I probably blame SE and a lot of the fans that constantly need the head coach to give them HJ's and tell them they are the best fans ever) but the media (not all of them) enjoyed poking Bo.  There is nothing wrong that, that is the job (sort of) but like you said, it all plays a part.  

Bo was a lot closer to 10 and 11 win seasons than he was to 4 and 5 win seasons.  Why people keep pretending that is not the case is odd.

Hell, Bo had three 10 win seasons. I don't think anyone at this juncture wouldn't take 9 and 10 wins today.  

But you were there. A lot of Husker fans wanted to give Bo another season. A lot didn't. But roughly zero folks were fine if that was Bo Pelini's ceiling.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Hell, Bo had three 10 win seasons. I don't think anyone at this juncture wouldn't take 9 and 10 wins today.  

But you were there. A lot of Husker fans wanted to give Bo another season. A lot didn't. But roughly zero folks were fine if that was Bo Pelini's ceiling.  

Yeah, I mean we all want(ed) more, that is for sure.

But you can't get to 11 and 12 if you don't get to 9 and 10.

Assuming he stayed and all data at NU shows he would be a 9 and 10 win coach each season...he would be coming up on like 150 career wins and like 50 losses.

• Plus1 1