Game Review
38NebraskavsNorthwestern17
October 18, 2014 | 6:30 PM | BTN
Game Preview
Nebraskavs.Rutgers
A warm welcome to our visiting Scarlet Knights fans!
October 25, 2014 | 11:00 AM | ESPN2
- - - - -

1983 Nebraska Penn State

• You cannot reply to this topic
17 replies to this topic

#1 cb1954

Travel Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 292 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:17 PM

Nice video of 83 Kickoff Classic. My favorite uniforms. Also on the right side you should see a link to - Who is College Football's best team of all-time? and from there another to Best All Time Football Program.

Link - Video
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Democracy simply doesn't work - Kent Brockman

#2 Pasadena Husker

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:15 AM

like those jerseys, as well. was that curt gowdy announcing? sounded like him.

#3 ESPY

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:33 AM

Not sure what's so great about the jerseys, although I can see the appeal of the 2 stripes on the pants, the numbers on the helmet & the fact player names were not put on the back of the jerseys.

Seeing that potent offense put a smile on my face almost as big as the smile I got when seeing Herbie Husker at the 8-min mark :koolaid2:
Posted Image

#4 ironmike

Backup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:20 AM

I really like the white socks pulled up and white shoes. Wouldn't mind seeing us go back to that.

#5 T_O_Bull

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,543 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:22 AM

I really like the white socks pulled up and white shoes. Wouldn't mind seeing us go back to that.

I spent $1,800. on a sattelite dish just to watch this game.
T_O_B
:cheers :bonez :bonez :bonez :cheers
The Captain's on Deck

#6 knapplc

Legend

• Mods
  • 31,834 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:57 AM

Not sure I've seen this game since 1983. Check out the false start not being called on our TE at 2:59.

I really like those uniforms, too.

Man, Turner Gill was a sight to behold. Possibly the best QB ever at Nebraska. I could watch him play all day.

clEdF.png

skin_fetch.jpg

#7 Spartness

All American

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:57 AM

I remember that game. PSU keyed on Rozier, and that was the only game that year he was held under 100 yards (He went on to win the Heisman.). But everything else sure was clicking that day on offense. The defense even looked good. That offense perhaps could rank as the greatest ever in Husker history, even with the great N.C. teams of the '90s. But the defense that year was one of Osborne's worst, which anything cost him the N.C. in the Orange Bowl against Miami. Irving Fryer was one of the two greatest WRs we ever had -- the other guy, Rodgers. Some of you might recall Gill, Rozier and Fryer were called the Triplets.

#8 ESPY

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:30 AM

I spent $1,800. on a sattelite dish just to watch this game.
T_O_B
:cheers :bonez :bonez :bonez :cheers

I'm hoping you didn't return the dish after the game...although it's tough to put a price on the '83 Huskers :koolaid2:
Posted Image

#9 kansas husker

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:42 PM

I was only 5 months old when this game aired. Great to see all the highlights from it. By the way I though someone was suppose to do a position by bosition break down of the 83 team vs the 95 team whatever happened to that?
Posted Image
sig made by miamihrrcns2001

#10 TMul

Backup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:13 PM

I don't know who Curt Gowdy is but I'm pretty sure one of the announcers was none other then Lee Corso. It sure sounded just like Corso.

#11 default_28

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:20 PM

Not sure what's so great about the jerseys, although I can see the appeal of the 2 stripes on the pants, the numbers on the helmet & the fact player names were not put on the back of the jerseys.

Seeing that potent offense put a smile on my face almost as big as the smile I got when seeing Herbie Husker at the 8-min mark :koolaid2:

When you play against Penn State any uniform is great by comparison
Our jerseys are dull, but their jerseys are so bland it's hard to stomach
Anonymity is the fastest, most efficient way to let the rest of us know that you and your beliefs are worthless.
-Mitchell Hundred

#12 NUance

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,477 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:23 PM

I don't know who Curt Gowdy is but I'm pretty sure one of the announcers was none other then Lee Corso. It sure sounded just like Corso.

It did sound like Lee Corso. But I'm pretty sure Corso was still coaching then.
Just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long, the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter, while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. But then the winter came. And the grasshopper died. And the octopus ate all his acorns. Also he got a race car. Is any of this getting through to you?

I donated for Childhood Apraxia.
Posted Image

#13 akhskrfan

Scout Team

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:22 PM

Yes, it was Gowdy and Corso.

http://the506.com/ya...?num=1259327357

#14 NUance

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,477 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:10 PM

Sure enough. That was Corso alright. But he was still coaching. Lee Corso coached Northern Illinois to a 4-6-1 record in 1984. link
Just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long, the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter, while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. But then the winter came. And the grasshopper died. And the octopus ate all his acorns. Also he got a race car. Is any of this getting through to you?

I donated for Childhood Apraxia.
Posted Image

#15 Cob Mob

Scout Team

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:05 PM

Man oh man I remember this game. It was about my third year following the Huskers. I still remember my dad smacking an old orange fold up chair with the flyswatter when PSU got that late touchdown. And I do like the uni's, but I HATE not having the names on the jerseys.

#16 Pasadena Husker

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:57 PM

wow! i know this is a very old man thing to say, but the fact that someone (e.g. the person that found this link) either knew about this link or merely searched for it and easily found it on the internet still amazes me.

#17 akhskrfan

Scout Team

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:01 PM

wow! i know this is a very old man thing to say, but the fact that someone (e.g. the person that found this link) either knew about this link or merely searched for it and easily found it on the internet still amazes me.

The power of Google....I'm guessing that it took a little while to compile the list though.

#18 Eric the Red

Team HuskerBoard

• Admin
  • 12,797 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:44 PM

Nice video of 83 Kickoff Classic. My favorite uniforms. Also on the right side you should see a link to - Who is College Football's best team of all-time? and from there another to Best All Time Football Program.

Link - Video

COol video

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users