Elizabeth Warren's 11 Commandments for Progressives

http://www.vox.com/2014/7/21/5918063/elizabeth-warrens-11-commandments-for-progressives-show-democrats?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=voxdotcom&utm_content=monday

1. "We believe that Wall Street needs stronger rules and tougher enforcement, and we're willing to fight for it."
  2. "We believe in science, and that means that we have a responsibility to protect this Earth."
  3. "We believe that the Internet shouldn't be rigged to benefit big corporations, and that means real net neutrality."
  4. "We believe that no one should work full-time and still live in poverty, and that means raising the minimum wage."
  5. "We believe that fast-food workers deserve a livable wage, and that means that when they take to the picket line, we are proud to fight alongside them."
  6. "We believe that students are entitled to get an education without being crushed by debt."
  7. "We believe that after a lifetime of work, people are entitled to retire with dignity, and that means protecting Social Security, Medicare, and pensions."
  8. "We believe—I can't believe I have to say this in 2014—we believe in equal pay for equal work."
  9. "We believe that equal means equal, and that's true in marriage, it's true in the workplace, it's true in all of America."
  10. "We believe that immigration has made this country strong and vibrant, and that means reform."
  11. "And we believe that corporations are not people, that women have a right to their bodies. We will overturn Hobby Lobby and we will fight for it. We will fight for it!"

I've felt this way for a year or two, but I'll say it again - you've got my vote should you run for President in 2016 or 2022, Mrs. Warren. I don't disagree with a single thing on that list. I don't think that she'll run since the left is pretty well united behind Hillary at this point and Warren probably won't want to get in the way, but regardless, Warren continues to impress me with pretty much everything she does and says.

:thumbs:

• Fire 2

Common sense thinking, caring and compassion for fellow man/woman, and responsibility or accountability for the Earth and the condition we leave it in for future generations. Who would have ever thought that such basic principles and thoughts could become so meaningless and almost non-factors to the officials we've elected to govern us. Not only lost on those elected officials, but to most of the "right" these are non-issues.

Hell, I'd vote for her on that common sense platform. #5 was a bit strange though. Not sure fast food jobs have to generate a "liveable" wage. I think there's room in our economy for some entry level jobs, primarily for teens, that doesn't require quickly escalating fast food costs that woyld do more harm to the economy than it would help fast food workers. It is already usually a better deal to go to a sit down restaurant than to get fast food. Add 50% to 100% to that mickey d's tab and watch the demand plummet.

Hell, I'd vote for her on that common sense platform. #5 was a bit strange though. Not sure fast food jobs have to generate a "liveable" wage. I think there's room in our economy for some entry level jobs, primarily for teens, that doesn't require quickly escalating fast food costs that woyld do more harm to the economy than it would help fast food workers. It is already usually a better deal to go to a sit down restaurant than to get fast food. Add 50% to 100% to that mickey d's tab and watch the demand plummet.

Depending on where you read it and who you believe, costs at McDonalds are estimated to go up about 10% by raising minimum wage to $10/hour and up about 25% if raised to $15/hour. If it means that a bunch of minimum wage workers can get off food stamps then I'd say I'm generally in favor of raising the minimum wage. It's what pisses me off the most about Walmart. They pay low wages and then let the taxpayers foot the bill for medical and food all the while making a fortune in profit. It's a massive government handout.

"A Big Mac meal would jump to $6.66 from $5.69, and McDonald’s Dollar Menu would go to $1.17, Forbes reported."

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2013/07/price-of-big-mac-could-rise-by-68-cents-if-minimum-wage-doubles/

• Fire 2

What's crazy is that these positions make her radically liberal these days.

I'm a bit curious what the "commandments" for a radical conservative, like Ted Cruz, would be. "Make everyone worship the Christian god, but completely ignore the basic biblical teachings."

Pew Research

In spite of its narrowing, the gender pay gap persists. Why is this? In our survey, women were more likely to say they had taken career interruptions to care for their family. And research has shown that these types of interruptions can have an impact on long-term earnings. Roughly four-in-ten mothers say they have taken a significant amount of time off from work (39%) or reduced their work hours (42%) to care for a child or other family member. Roughly a quarter (27%) say they have quit work altogether to take care of these familial responsibilities. (Fewer men say the same. For example, just 24% of fathers say they have taken a significant amount of time off to care for a child or other family member.)

Even though women have increased their presence in higher-paying jobs traditionally dominated by men, such as professional and managerial positions, women as a whole continue to work in lower-paying occupations than men do. And some part of the pay gap may also be due to gender discrimination –women are about twice as likely as men to say they had been discriminated against at work because of their gender (18% vs. 10%).