Athlon: 5 Reasons Nebraska Should be Patient With Mike Riley After a 2-3 Start

Just five games into his tenure, Nebraska coach Mike Riley is already getting a glimpse of what life is like in Lincoln. The first-year coach is already facing plenty of criticism after the Cornhuskers’ 2-3 start, especially after how Saturday’s Illinois-Nebraska game ended and the management of a third-down play late in the fourth quarter.

While 2-3 isn’t where Nebraska or Riley wants to be, this team isn’t far from a 4-1 record. The Cornhuskers lost on a Hail Mary touchdown pass to BYU, and who knows what happens if quarterback Tommy Armstrong simply tucks and runs the ball on third down against Illinois instead of attempting a pass?

Patience is difficult for any fanbase, but Riley is just five games into his tenure. Maybe he’s not the right coach, but it’s too early to know. Considering Nebraska’s three losses by five points or less, small improvement and better late-game management could easily swing close games into the win column this year.

Need reason to be optimistic for the rest of the season? Here’s five reasons Nebraska fans should be patient with new coach Mike Riley...

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/5-reasons-nebraska-should-be-patient-mike-riley-after-2-3-start#sthash.g5pLBUHf.dpuf

• Fire 7

1. Close Losses/Bad Luck Eventually Flips the Other Way
As mentioned above, the bounces go a different way in two games and Nebraska is 4-1 instead of 2-3. That type of luck won’t continue forever. The Cornhuskers could also help their win total by improving a turnover margin that’s currently minus-four after Week 5.
2. The Remaining Schedule
Of the seven remaining games on Nebraska’s schedule, five are against teams projected by Athlon Sports in the preseason to make a bowl.

Have to agree with #1. But #2, Oy! We could easily end up sub .500 this year. :hmmph

• Fire 3

Appreciate this perspective. I've grown very tired of "the sky is falling" mentality. Granted, this season has not gone as anyone would have liked, but the level of anger and resentment in parts of this fan base is out of control. I was just as frustrated as many others about the poor play calling and clock management. These are things that a seasoned coaching staff should be better prepared for; some of the mistakes really seemed like rookie mistakes, and our staff should be better than that. But all of this talk about firing Riley seems a bit premature, in my opinion. We've got to give them some time and, as frustrating as this season may turn out to be, I will never stop supporting the team. It's my belief that those kids are out there every week, doing their best to perform well, and I will never stop giving them my support.

Just my two cents; GBR!

• Fire 4

#1 only works if it is indeed luck. Miami maybe if you stretch dropped balls in as bad luck but BYU and definately Illinois were far more about a complete lack of competent clock management than it was luck.

Don't forget dumb players in the secondary who blew coverages. Esp on the hail mary....that is all on the players....just knock the ball down as there were 7 of us and 3 of them.

just knowing we could be 4-1 is such comfort?? this is how losers think, and failure to make plays.........you got to make plays to beat the other guy......we didn't make them!

enough looking back for excuses and maybes.......let't just play the game and see if the coaches can coach and if the kids can make plays.

• Fire 2

Maybe....just.....maybe if we didn't have the worst pass D in football this year we might be 4-1. We've lost these game not because of luck(a fools excuse) its been poor play. If we knew how to play D, BYU is not in a position to hail Mary us. If we could have made just one stop at Miami, we may have won that. If TA is taught better he runs the ball. This has zero to do with luck. Luck didn't catch the hail Mary pass. Bad coaching and piss poor D allowed BYU to catch the ball.

• Fire 2

Appreciate this perspective. I've grown very tired of "the sky is falling" mentality. Granted, this season has not gone as anyone would have liked, but the level of anger and resentment in parts of this fan base is out of control. I was just as frustrated as many others about the poor play calling and clock management. These are things that a seasoned coaching staff should be better prepared for; some of the mistakes really seemed like rookie mistakes, and our staff should be better than that. But all of this talk about firing Riley seems a bit premature, in my opinion. We've got to give them some time and, as frustrating as this season may turn out to be, I will never stop supporting the team. It's my belief that those kids are out there every week, doing their best to perform well, and I will never stop giving them my support.

Just my two cents; GBR!

chicken-little-sky-is-falling-1a1-700x24

• Fire 1

1. Close Losses/Bad Luck Eventually Flips the Other Way

As mentioned above, the bounces go a different way in two games and Nebraska is 4-1 instead of 2-3. That type of luck won’t continue forever. The Cornhuskers could also help their win total by improving a turnover margin that’s currently minus-four after Week 5.

Hope is an awesome strategy!

• Fire 1

just knowing we could be 4-1 is such comfort?? this is how losers think, and failure to make plays.........you got to make plays to beat the other guy......we didn't make them!

enough looking back for excuses and maybes.......let't just play the game and see if the coaches can coach and if the kids can make plays.

Honestly, besides USA, we could be 1-4..........

Let's see how we do against our nemesis Sat.

• Fire 2