Trump Promises Megathread: Kept or Broken

Trump is going to hand over a bunch of IOU's to mexico for the wall,it will look just like scene from dumb and dumber, which describes him and his followers to a T

Keyword. There is a big difference between a Trump "voter" and a Trump "follower". Sadly, there are a lot of "followers".

That Huffpo article loses all credibility with this paragraph.

When Democrats sat down to craft what became the Affordable Care Act, they committed to creating a fiscally sound program ― for every new dollar in government spending, they pledged, they would find at least one dollar of new revenue or one dollar of lower spending somewhere else. And Democrats were good to their word. They wrote legislation that, according to the Congressional Budget Office, has actually resulted in net savings for the federal treasury.

This bill has NOT lived up to being fiscally sound.

That's why, even if Hillary would have won, major changes would need to have been made to the program.

When Democrats sat down to craft what became the Affordable Care Act, they committed to creating a fiscally sound program ― for every new dollar in government spending, they pledged, they would find at least one dollar of new revenue or one dollar of lower spending somewhere else. And Democrats were good to their word. They wrote legislation that, according to the Congressional Budget Office, has actually resulted in net savings for the federal treasury.

That's why, even if Hillary would have won, major changes would need to have been made to the program.

Yes major changes were needed. But no one would have been able to overhaul or disaster healthcare before Obamacare, and made it work perfectly or even very well. Its going to take a lot of redos. People who blame Obama (or whomever republican or democrat) who took the first shot at rebuilding healthcare is a moron.

The funny thing about the ACA that gets lost in all the noise is that it actually still decreased premium growth compared to pre-ACA levels. Premium growth spiked up right after the ACA was implemented but dropped down to pretty low rates for the last handful of years. So, not only did the ACA cover many millions of people who could not get coverage before, but we're still better off than had Obama blown off healthcare and focused on infrastructure spending or something along those lines.

blog_premium_growth_2014.jpg

Of note:

The new Kaiser Family Foundation/Health Research and Educational Trust (KFF/HRET) survey finds that the average premium for employer-based family coverage grew 3.4 percent in 2016 in nominal terms, slower than the 4.2 percent growth rate recorded in 2015. This year’s slow growth extends the recent period of slow employer premium growth. The average premium growth rate since the Affordable Care Act (ACA) became law in 2010 has been 40 percent lower than the average growth rate over the preceding decade, and the most recent five years account for five of the six slowest growth rates reported since the KFF/HRET survey began in 1999.

Sustained slow premium growth is generating major benefits for families. Had premium growth since 2010 matched the average rate recorded over the preceding decade, the average total premium for employer-based family coverage would have been nearly $3,600 higher in 2016.

Now, Republicans surely understand the chief concern for a lot of people at this point is still cost. They've spent 6 years complaining about costs, the system isn't sustainable, yada yada... while generally trying to avoid any attempt to try to correct the system at all. So if they're all about repealing it, they're going to have to own it. They didn't lift a damn finger to try to help address ACA concerns, despite it being a largely conservative system (basically Romneycare lite), because they made a calculated decision to brand Obama's name onto it and vilify it rather than help fix it.

So to address costs they'll have to do something. Hopefully they don't damage the quality of plans we can get or kick sick people to the curb in their quest to do so.

• Fire 1

Yes major changes were needed. But no one would have been able to overhaul or disaster healthcare before Obamacare, and made it work perfectly or even very well. Its going to take a lot of redos. People who blame Obama (or whomever republican or democrat) who took the first shot at rebuilding healthcare is a moron.

You're right. And, I think Republicans have totally failed in proposing something workable other than constantly talking about "REPEAL". The program needs major overhaul.

My point in my post was that it makes it sound like the ACA is some amazingly great bill and the Dems did a fantastic job of making it fiscally sound. It's not and one hell of a lot of Americans are finding that out with their premiums skyrocketing.

NYTimes

Obamacare rates are going way up. The latest estimate from the federal government is that the average midlevel Obamacare plan, the most popular choice, will cost about 22 percent more in 2017 than it did in 2016. This is based on data from 39 states where people sign up through the HealthCare.gov website and some preliminary data from four other states and the District of Columbia.

There is big variation nationwide. Customers in Phoenix are looking at a premium increase of 145 percent, while customers in Providence, R.I., are looking at a 14 percent decrease, according to a Kaiser Family Foundation analysis.

Curious to see your response to my post, BRB. There's a ton of people that aren't dying right now that are incredibly thankful for the ACA.

But it was after all a HuffPo piece. They're one of the most liberal outlets out there.

I have said many times on this board that getting more people insured was a good thing. However, there are major issues with the bill that needs to be fixed. I have never been in favor of repealing it. But, it needs fixed.

• Fire 1

Curious to see your response to my post, BRB. There's a ton of people that aren't dying right now that are incredibly thankful for the ACA.

But it was after all a HuffPo piece. They're one of the most liberal outlets out there.

I have said many times on this board that getting more people insured was a good thing. However, there are major issues with the bill that needs to be fixed. I have never been in favor of repealing it. But, it needs fixed.

I'm with you on this. But it won't happen because they're so gung ho to say they killed it and get something with their name on it in there.

From your story:

If you get a subsidy, and you’re willing to switch plans, you won’t have to pay these big increases. More than 80 percent of Obamacare customers get subsidies that help them pay the cost of their premiums. Those people do not pay the full cost of insurance out of their pockets, and they will not feel the full brunt of these increases, as long as there is a less expensive plan available in their market and they are willing to switch.

My understanding is a lot of people qualify for subsidies to help offset those premium increases. That's an expensive way to do it, but it definitely helps the consumer and I feel it's justified with something as crucial as healthcare. I could be wrong though -- I honestly don't know who qualifies and who doesn't.

Who do we think they should focus on helping with the next plan? IMO the ACA was pretty rough on small business owners. Hopefully they get a more friendly alternative this go around.