End of Net Neutrality

OK...I'm going to ask this knowing it may be hard to actually get what I'm looking for.

Can anyone point to an article that articulates the purpose of doing this is?  I know, the mantra if catering to big corporations..bla bla bla.

But, the FCC has to have had some type of argument as to why they should do this.  :dunno

2 minutes ago, Fru said:

3 Republicans 2 Democrats 

But..I didn't know the board was a partisan board.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

OK...I'm going to ask this knowing it may be hard to actually get what I'm looking for.

Can anyone point to an article that articulates the purpose of doing this is?  I know, the mantra if catering to big corporations..bla bla bla.

But, the FCC has to have had some type of argument as to why they should do this.  :dunno

all you need to know is that it is repealing an obama administration rule.  that's the only reason this administration needs for anything.

• Plus1 2

Under the rules, internet service providers are required to treat all online content the same. They can't deliberately speed up or slow down traffic from specific websites or apps, nor can they put their own content at an advantage over rivals.

To take a classic example, this means Comcast can't just choose to slow down a service like Netflix (NFLX) to make its own streaming video service more competitive, nor can it try to squeeze Netflix to pay more money to be part of a so-called internet fast lane.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/14/technology/net-neutrality-repeal-explainer/index.html

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But..I didn't know the board was a partisan board.

Net neutrality is seen as a 'regulation' on businesses.  

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know what you are saying.  But....this is the answer I'm trying to look past.

you know, the whole "the government is too big and shouldn't be overreaching and everyone including monopoloy corporations should be able to do whatever they want and the competition of the market will make everything good for everyone" schtick

4 minutes ago, Fru said:

Under the rules, internet service providers are required to treat all online content the same. They can't deliberately speed up or slow down traffic from specific websites or apps, nor can they put their own content at an advantage over rivals.

To take a classic example, this means Comcast can't just choose to slow down a service like Netflix (NFLX) to make its own streaming video service more competitive, nor can it try to squeeze Netflix to pay more money to be part of a so-called internet fast lane.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/14/technology/net-neutrality-repeal-explainer/index.html

Thanks.

So is this a done deal?

Not quite. It's very like this issue could end up being decided in court, or perhaps even by legislation in Congress. 

"Whenever we do anything big and major, people go to court," a senior FCC official said last month. "I certainly would not rule that out."

• Plus1 1