2018 Offensive Line Recruiting

One tackle Nebraska notably hasnt offered is a juco All-American at nearby Iowa Western in Council Bluffs. Anthony McKinney (6-8, 320, from Illinois) is a four-star player according to 247 and Rivals and already has scholarships extended by 13 schools like Oklahoma, Oregon, Georgia and TCU.

OWH

I could go on and on about how annoyed I get about us seemingly completely writing off Iowa Western, but its been stated numerous times on this board already so I'll just say that this is very disappointing.
It is disappointing, especially when we seem very interested in getting a high end JUCO OT. But instead we'll chase the two from Brooklyn and miss out.

Agreed and unfortunately it's not limited to just football. There have been some pretty serious whiffs on the baseball front as well.

The question asked was not the headline for the graph - maybe a little nitpicky however typical example of how the OWH goes after Lincoln sports.... When the word pipeline is used most think of the 80's and 90's. Expecting Cav to "recruit" at that level is silly - that environment will not ever return to any college team.

The question asked was not the headline for the graph - maybe a little nitpicky however typical example of how the OWH goes after Lincoln sports.... When the word pipeline is used most think of the 80's and 90's. Expecting Cav to "recruit" at that level is silly - that environment will not ever return to any college team.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding when you say Cav " recruiting to that level is silly" when comparing it to the 80's and 90's pipeline. I don't think Nebraska recruited 4 star talent back then. Our key to success was finding kids who fit that run blocking system and building depth at those positions. The nearest thing to that process is what Wisconsin is currently doing.

With our system we need to step up that talent, but even more important develop that talent. I'm not sure that is happening. I would be overjoyed to find a " Diaco" type high energy OL coach who can both develop talent and recruit well. If Cav under performs this year , then we may get that person.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding when you say Cav " recruiting to that level is silly" when comparing it to the 80's and 90's pipeline. I don't think Nebraska recruited 4 star talent back then. Our key to success was finding kids who fit that run blocking system and building depth at those positions. The nearest thing to that process is what Wisconsin is currently doing.

With our system we need to step up that talent, but even more important develop that talent. I'm not sure that is happening. I would be overjoyed to find a " Diaco" type high energy OL coach who can both develop talent and recruit well. If Cav under performs this year , then we may get that person.

You are correct in that we looked for guys that were built for the run blocking system - however if this was 1981 we could do something "almost similar" with a pass blocking system at NU. The main difference now is being that back in the 80's we had a weight program that was ranked 1st and the 2nd best program should have been ranked 11th. We also had kids that were willing to walk on for a couple reason's (college education was cheap and the lure of playing for a powerhouse team that was only one of a few that played on TV every weekend was great). Yes the development was second to none however so were the # of players that were willing to take the risk.

Wisconsin has done a great job in the trenches on both O and D and there is zero reason that NU shouldn't be equal or better than that going forward.

I believe Cav understands what MR expects from him and if it doesn't show up then it will be handled.

Cav is reaching a point where "his" guys are now becoming upperclassman and it is time to show his ability. Any dissatisfaction in Cav up to this point is premature - starting this year going forward not so much. His 2019 recruiting cycle needs to be special and his on the field performance for 2017 needs to be a couple notches higher.