Scratchtown

Trumps Education Reform

Make that three of us.

The poor, the hungry, the sick, the destitute, the children, single mothers, those with special needs, those already saddled with great debt, those who want to protect our environment...

These are the people who must pay through the nose to finance tax cuts? And we call ourselves the greatest nation on the face of the Earth?

• Upvote 1

This is what the people wanted right? This is what they voted for?

• Upvote 2

At least Hillary isn't President.....

:sarcasm

On a serious note, If this passes, I'm curious to see what it does to small towns with parochial schools. For example, West Point, NE. I'm pretty sure West Point CC is already bigger than West Point-Beemer High. What happens when even more people choose to go to CC rather than public? Or what happens when those currently paying tuition can redirect their tax money? Those tax dollars will leave the public school system and I'd assume public schools would be left to wither away. Nothing like seeing "progress" when your alma mater is boarded up and torn down...

Small town people have a hard enough time with consolidation.

On a serious note, If this passes, I'm curious to see what it does to small towns with parochial schools. For example, West Point, NE. I'm pretty sure West Point CC is already bigger than West Point-Beemer High. What happens when even more people choose to go to CC rather than public? Or what happens when those currently paying tuition can redirect their tax money? Those tax dollars will leave the public school system and I'd assume public schools would be left to wither away. Nothing like seeing "progress" when your alma mater is boarded up and torn down...

I am not sure what would happen. That is interesting though.

I pray to God that this thing doesn't pass through Congress. Here's an NPR article outlining the proposed budget cuts.

*Student Loans

*Medicaid

*School Choice

http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2017/05/22/529534031/president-trumps-budget-proposal-calls-for-deep-cuts-to-education

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you vote for Trump?

No. I was against Hillary but I did not vote for Trump.

West Point-Beemer is much larger than GACC.

By more than double. May not be that way for much longer though.

That article suggested (and I've read elsewhere) that small towns are likely to bear the brunt of this set of policies. Many of them already had a hard enough time with funding.

This is much the same with his proposed cuts to Medicaid and food stamps. Poorer, rural areas will be hardest hit.

The irony is that those are the most pro-Trump areas.

West Point-Beemer is much larger than GACC.

By more than double. May not be that way for much longer though.

I was just going off of my memory from when I was in high school 18 years ago before West Point and Beemer consolidated. WPCC was C-1 and I want to say WPHS was class D.

I hope more than anything that this sad episode in our nation's history will help us with making choices in the future. We aren't always presented with ideal (far from it, sometimes!) options. But even then there might be one really clear right answer, such as not electing an incompetent, unhinged maniac intent on hurting people to support his own power.

• Upvote 1

If private schools are smart, they will reject vouchers. Govt money usually comes with strings

As it should.

I would have less of a problem with school vouchers (albeit still a really big problem with it) if private schools who accepted the vouchers were required to take on special education students, show progress of student learning, and also take on a certain percentage of low income at-risk students.

• Upvote 1

I find this interesting.

The Borrower Defense Rule was adopted by the Obama administration last November and had been set to take effect this month. It was created to make it "simpler for students at colleges found to be fraudulent to get their loans forgiven," as NPR's Ed team has reported.

So....we have a rule that makes it easier for the government to forgive loans for people who spent money at a fraudulent college. I cringe at that simply for the fact that it takes the personal responsibility away from these people to do what they can to make sure they are paying to attend an actual college. Did the federal government somehow sanction these fake colleges? Did they license or advertise that these colleges were legitimate? What part of this gives us the cause that the US tax payers should be footing the bill?

Does the government then go after these fraudulent colleges for the money?

However, at the same time, you have this rule postponed by an administration lead by someone who is in major lawsuits for actually running a fraudulent college.

Was this rule somehow helping the plaintiffs in the Trump case?

I think the reason the government is involved is because they provided loans to the students the same way they do with all schools, and I guess in a way that means the government is validating the school. I don't know a lot of the details but I know my friend got government loans for one of these schools. When the school flat out lied and was shut down for it I have a hard time thinking the customer should be held responsible for making the mistake of attending.

You expect a business to not get away with it for as long as some of these schools did.

That said their claimed accreditation wasn't the best accreditation and I still feel guilty for not telling her to question it more.

Betsy DeVos & the Trump-era DOE: http://www.salon.com/2017/07/14/republicans-and-campus-rape-the-department-of-educations-bizarre-christian-right-tilt-is-no-accident/

When the New York Times reached out to Candice Jackson, a Trump appointee who heads the civil rights division at the DOE, she said that “90 percent” of campus rape accusations “fall into the category of ‘we were both drunk, we broke up, and six months later I found myself under a Title IX investigation because she just decided that our last sleeping together was not quite right.'” (...)

As Jackson said in an article for Federalist in 2013, women aren’t “meant or intended or designed to achieve both excellence and nurturing (e.g., career and family)”, because they are “limited” people. (...)

A lot of right-wing politicians have learned to speak elliptically about these beliefs, but the truth slips out on occasion.

:(

Sooooo........

Trump supporters rant against the Department of Education. Trump campaigned on how horrible it is and how wasteful it is.

Trump donates his second quarter pay check to the Department of Education.

Sooooo........

Trump supporters rant against the Department of Education. Trump campaigned on how horrible it is and how wasteful it is.

Trump donates his second quarter pay check to the Department of Education.

• Upvote 2

I'm not going to as far to blame Trump about this.  This seems like an idiotic bureaucratic mistake that needs to be taken care of.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not going to as far to blame Trump about this.  This seems like an idiotic bureaucratic mistake that needs to be taken care of.

Trump (DeVos) wanted to end TEACH altogether. I'm not sure what happened with all of that, but it's what they said, and I wouldn't be surprised if they purposely made things worse than they were under Obama.

13 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Trump (DeVos) wanted to end TEACH altogether. I'm not sure what happened with all of that, but it's what they said, and I wouldn't be surprised if they purposely made things worse than they were under Obama.

And, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened.  To me though, with the information I have read, this seems like a bad bureaucratic error.  The government needs to honor promises they made to these teachers.

But....I also remember issues Trump has had with honoring promises to employees, suppliers, creditors...etc. in the past.

Edited by BigRedBuster
  • Plus1 1

OK....I'm a little puzzled at both sides of this Lebron hoopla.

Correct me if I'm wrong about this.  But, Lebron went out and started a private school funding it with his own money and giving incentives to pay for college education to the graduates.

Voss has spent her life time and time in this job promoting private schools with cheers from the right along with the President and scorn from the left.

BUT...when Lebron opens a private school and talks about it, it gets cheers from the left and scorn and ridicule from the right.

Welcome to American politics.  

19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK....I'm a little puzzled at both sides of this Lebron hoopla.

Correct me if I'm wrong about this.  But, Lebron went out and started a private school funding it with his own money and giving incentives to pay for college education to the graduates.

Voss has spent her life time and time in this job promoting private schools with cheers from the right along with the President and scorn from the left.

BUT...when Lebron opens a private school and talks about it, it gets cheers from the left and scorn and ridicule from the right.

Welcome to American politics.  

LeBron's school is part of the Akron Public School district, not private. 

https://www.politifact.com/ohio/statements/2018/aug/09/wannabe-entertainment/lebron-james-i-promise-school-wont-cost-taxpayers-/

"The I Promise School is a first-through-eighth grade public school that is part of the Akron Public School District.

Because it is a public school, the LeBron James Family Foundation will foot a portion of the cost, but not the entire bill."

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, Fru said:

LeBron's school is part of the Akron Public School district, not private. 

https://www.politifact.com/ohio/statements/2018/aug/09/wannabe-entertainment/lebron-james-i-promise-school-wont-cost-taxpayers-/

"The I Promise School is a first-through-eighth grade public school that is part of the Akron Public School District.

Because it is a public school, the LeBron James Family Foundation will foot a portion of the cost, but not the entire bill."

Fair correction.  But, it's still private money being invested into a school with direct input by that person in how it will be ran.  I would think Devoss and the President would love this idea.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Fair correction.  But, it's still private money being invested into a school with direct input by that person in how it will be ran.  I would think Devoss and the President would love this idea.

Yes part of the money will come from a private organization, but I believe the difference between Charter and Public is in the operations. It will still operate on the same curriculum and standard as any other public school. At least that's how I understand it. 

One would think there would be universal support for promoting education for at risk children, offering job placement and GED programs for the parents, and instituting a university scholarship program. Guess not. 

I just don't understand why people can't get behind both public schools AND private/charter schools or private money being invested in either one.

It seems like it gets politicized instead of people actually believing in the benefits of what can be accomplished.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I just don't understand why people can't get behind both public schools AND private/charter schools or private money being invested in either one.

It seems like it gets politicized instead of people actually believing in the benefits of what can be accomplished.

As a public school teacher, I've never heard or been part of a discussion badmouthing private schools (outside of the tongue-in-cheek comments about recruiting athletes and not having the troubled kids).  But I have been part of many degrading the idea of spending tax dollars on private schools.

As far as "private" money going to help "public" schools, this happens a lot.  We have a foundation for our district, 100% privately funded that grants money for classroom activities and equipment among many other things.  "Getting politicized" would be an understatement :)

• Plus1 1

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 3:47 PM, Clifford Franklin said:

This is Trump's utter stupidity highlighted in one concise tweet.

But I suppose in Trump's detached from actual reality, mentally unstable mind, one of his dollars is "equal" to 1 billion dollars...so in actuality, the Department of Education is actually receiving more funding.  #ConservativeLogic

I think we’re served best with quality public and private schools, healthy competition between them, and parents getting to choose where to send their kids. Some time ago I read that we spend between $12k and $14k per student per year on public education. So for a class of 30 kids, that’s between $360k and $420k. Let’s say the teacher makes $40k or so. It obviously costs some money to bus kids, feed them lunch, etc. But that should be plenty of money to teach them.

In my view, the problem isn’t a lack of funding, it’s that the money isn’t spent wisely. OPS is the perfect example. How many fatcat administrators are making $100k or more, while teachers have to buy basic school supplies for their classrooms because there’s no money? 

My biggest issue with the funding of the school system is that in most places it depends on property taxes, which means the rich neighborhoods have the best-funded schools while the poor neighborhoods are the worst-funded. If we really want equality of opportunity, then this can't be allowed to continue.

48 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

My biggest issue with the funding of the school system is that in most places it depends on property taxes, which means the rich neighborhoods have the best-funded schools while the poor neighborhoods are the worst-funded. If we really want equality of opportunity, then this can't be allowed to continue.

I think State aid formulas mitigate that to some degree. In the Omaha area, the Learning Community model is also designed to help with that. Other states have different ways of trying to address that.

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I think State aid formulas mitigate that to some degree. In the Omaha area, the Learning Community model is also designed to help with that. Other states have different ways of trying to address that.

That formula is absolutely totally screwed up right now to where there are school systems literally getting millions of state aid chopped while others are swimming in money.  Everyone agrees it's screwed up but nobody fixes it.

Here's an article that discusses the issues.  LINK

One issue with funding is that with the advancement of technology that our kids need to get experience in using and have access too, it has added a big amount of cost to school systems.  Education is no longer just a spiral note book and a #2 pencil.

• Plus1 1

Oh yeah, teachers make barely enough to put food on the table and plenty of schools struggle to afford supplies, so this seems like a great use of funds.

• Plus1 1