Langs Offense

Roll Skers

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

When offensive line play is bad like it is now, I'd rather be running than passing.

I'm not so sure there. A lot of our current gains are -1 in October.  The sad state of affairs is that we're pretty bad at both, given what we are trying to do.

If I were to design a general idea to overcome a bad offensive line, especially one that had bad blockers at TE/RB, it would based on spreading the field with 10 personnel, with a very quick passing game dependent on deep to shallow reads, third to half field. Try to dictate numbers in the box and get my back in situations where he can make an isolated defender miss. It would be a grinder, and you're just kinda hoping to get a consistent 4 or 5 with the promise that someone might break one.

The reality is no offense really functions great if you can't block. 

8 minutes ago, brophog said:

I'm not so sure there. A lot of our current gains are -1 in October.  The sad state of affairs is that we're pretty bad at both, given what we are trying to do.

If I were to design a general idea to overcome a bad offensive line, especially one that had bad blockers at TE/RB, it would based on spreading the field with 10 personnel, with a very quick passing game dependent on deep to shallow reads, third to half field. Try to dictate numbers in the box and get my back in situations where he can make an isolated defender miss. It would be a grinder, and you're just kinda hoping to get a consistent 4 or 5 with the promise that someone might break one.

The reality is no offense really functions great if you can't block. 

Who designs the offense and offensive line assignments?  If it's Langsdorf, Cavanaugh, or Riley, all of it pretty much sucks.

I rewatched the first quarter last night.  I was paying close attention to what kind of run plays we were running the last quarter-and-a-half during the actual game.

I have yet to see any sort of counter play.  We ran the crap out of that play at Oregon.  Had good success.  Now it just totally disappears.

Langs goes into a shell and the only thing he can think about is chucking the rock.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

I rewatched the first quarter last night.  I was paying close attention to what kind of run plays we were running the last quarter-and-a-half during the actual game.

I have yet to see any sort of counter play.  We ran the crap out of that play at Oregon.  Had good success.  Now it just totally disappears.

Langs goes into a shell and the only thing he can think about is chucking the rock.

Great point.  His reaction to any adversity seems to run play action pass on a loop.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Well no f#%&ing s#!t.

Didn't we have this same talk a couple years ago?

My thoughts exactly. My exact train of thought when I read this tweet:

1) Great!

2) Seriously? 

I think I speak for a fair portion of the fan base when I say we're sick of tired of the football program seemingly having eyes too big for their stomach and then having to pair things back. I don't think that's an inherent downside of a pro-style offense - I think it's a downside of whatever they call offense.

I had the opportunity to talk with a former K-State coach Saturday night about Nebraska. He said it's really hard to win in college football with Riley's style offense UNLESS you have 10 very good O-Linemen. He said college football is won at the LOS. The reason Nebraska was so good in the 90's was the LOS play with the lines. Riley's philosophy is recruit the skill players and then the game will come, he is a PAC-12 guy. This coach said the first focus for Nebraska every year should be to get the best linemen. If you have great linemen then the rest of your team looks a lot better. If you have great skill players and not so great linemen then this kind of offense and defense won't be successful. 

I also asked him why a team would ever want to play their corners 10-15yds off the WR. He said he would have to look at the tape but usually that indicates a lack of confidence in the young players. He also said that you can be an all American but if you aren't asked to bump and run and playing close enough to run right with the receiver then you're not going to have a chance. Thus he completely disagreed with this diaco defensive coaching of asking his guys to play so far off the ball. 

I found it to be interesting. 

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, girlknowsfootball said:

I had the opportunity to talk with a former K-State coach Saturday night about Nebraska. He said it's really hard to win in college football with Riley's style offense UNLESS you have 10 very good O-Linemen. He said college football is won at the LOS. The reason Nebraska was so good in the 90's was the LOS play with the lines. Riley's philosophy is recruit the skill players and then the game will come, he is a PAC-12 guy. This coach said the first focus for Nebraska every year should be to get the best linemen. If you have great linemen then the rest of your team looks a lot better. If you have great skill players and not so great linemen then this kind of offense and defense won't be successful. 

I also asked him why a team would ever want to play their corners 10-15yds off the WR. He said he would have to look at the tape but usually that indicates a lack of confidence in the young players. He also said that you can be an all American but if you aren't asked to bump and run and playing close enough to run right with the receiver then you're not going to have a chance. Thus he completely disagreed with this diaco defensive coaching of asking his guys to play so far off the ball. 

hmmmmm, sounds a helluva lot alike another Big Ten west school, who happens to wear red and white and proven to have consistent success with this approach.

I really don't understand how any fan can defend Langs.  He was overhyped and hasn't proven a thing since he arrived.  Literally, the fact Eli Manning improved his passing accuracy 1 year gave this fool way too much credit and, in my opinion, view his performance as a total downgrade from Tim Beck.  For a staff that has this amount of experience, both in college and football, they display a total lack of ability to put their players in a position to succeed.  Knowing NIU's strength on defense is the secondary, we should have been able to easily put up 21+ points by simply running the ball.

Tho to give Langs some credit, our offense did post up plus 21+, we just happened to give the guys in white 14.

Someone wake me up when this staff gets a damn pulse, I don't expect it to happen anytime soon....

2 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

hmmmmm, sounds a helluva lot alike another Big Ten west school, who happens to wear red and white and proven to have consistent success with this approach.

I really don't understand how any fan can defend Langs.  He was overhyped and hasn't proven a thing since he arrived.  Literally, the fact Eli Manning improved his passing accuracy 1 year gave this fool way too much credit and, in my opinion, view his performance as a total downgrade from Tim Beck.  For a staff that has this amount of experience, both in college and football, they display a total lack of ability to put their players in a position to succeed.  Knowing NIU's strength on defense is the secondary, we should have been able to easily put up 21+ points by simply running the ball.

Tho to give Langs some credit, our offense did post up plus 21+, we just happened to give the guys in white 14.

Someone wake me up when this staff gets a damn pulse, I don't expect it to happen anytime soon....

I find it interesting we put ozigbo in and he got yards by muscling through. Then we took him out. Why? I understand he is 3rd because he isn't good at pass blocking. Okay, the run with him is working, keep running it with him and dont call passes. 

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

This is what a lot of people who say "look what he did at Oregon State" don't want to admit.  Langsdorf wasn't the play-caller at OSU.  Riley was.  Langsdorf had the duty for some short amount of time but then Riley took it back.

Riley might have been a good play-caller back in the day.  Langs isn't.

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

I think it's ignorance and not a lack of admitting something.  Riley was, indeed, the play caller at OSU.  Langs did it for a short time and sucked.  Riley took the duties back.  Looks like it needs to happen again or they're both going to find themselves in the unemployment line.  

55 minutes ago, girlknowsfootball said:

Cav isn't much of a recruiter either.  Not good.  

Diaco is a proponent of the bend and don't break defense.  That, and a lack of trust, is why you see our corners giving such a cushion.  He's happy to give up 10 yards on a catch as long as he's not giving up 40.  Drives me nuts.  

9 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

I think it's ignorance and not a lack of admitting something.  Riley was, indeed, the play caller at OSU.  Langs did it for a short time and sucked.  Riley took the duties back.  Looks like it needs to happen again or they're both going to find themselves in the unemployment line.  

Agree, but there is plenty of both around here.  I've tried pointing it out several times to people who I've had multiple conversations with over the last couple years but they keep right on spitting out the "look what they did at OSU" line.