Favorite Politics Podcasts

Fru

To go along with the Twitter follows thread, I'm curious what everyone listens to as far as political podcasts. I find myself on the road more frequently and am often listening to podcasts. I'm curious as to what others listen to. 

My usual go to's are Pod Save America, Waking up with Sam Harris, Joe Rogan (he has some political guests here and there) and Bill Maher. Don't necessarily agree implicitly or endorse all of these folks, but it's what I find my listening to. 

Edited by Fru
  • Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I can't stand Sam Harris - he's just an Islamophobe in sheep's clothing. Plus his neuroscience claims are pure fabrications.

Sam and Bill do get on my nerves at times. But I think they do a decent job of booking interesting guests. 

If you'd like to make a contribution of what you listen to, I'd surely appreciate it. 

Preet!!

Also Pod Save America

Not always politics but Fresh Air often has more in depth discussions on individuals, books etc (recently they had Bill Browder which was eye opening for me)

Lastly - On PSA yesterday I listened to an old one with Katie Couric and she was great.  Reminded me what great interviews used to be and she mentioned she now has a podcast as well.  Going to check that out.  

• Plus1 1

Just now, Fru said:

Sam and Bill do get on my nerves at times. But I think they do a decent job of booking interesting guests. 

If you'd like to make a contribution of what you listen to, I'd surely appreciate it. 

I watch bits and pieces of stuff (mostly on youtube): TYT Network, David Pakman Show, Majority Report, Vox

But what I keep an eye out for is anything by Mark Blyth, usually via his twitter feed: https://twitter.com/MkBlyth

• Plus1 1

I can vouch for Pod Save. They've got quite a few different pods of various types depending on what subject matter appeals to you - for instance, DeRay McKesson does Pod Save the People, which is activism-based, & Jason Kander does Majority 54, which focuses on bringing in diverse voices from all across the political spectrum to address various issues.

Some of the ones we've listened to from their catalogue include Pod Save America, Pod Save the World (foreign policy), Pod Save the People (activism), Lovett or Leave It (panel discusses current events & uses them for various games - great for a laugh!), Majority 54 (varied voices discuss various topics - Kander also does a great segment at the end of most pods where he addresses common talking points on subjects & how to address them), Crooked Conversations (guests discuss specific topical topics) & With Friends Like These (discussion oriented 1-on-1 interviews with wide-ranging guests).

Stay Tuned with Preet is good for legal analysis of current events.

Smerconish has some interesting shorter segments from his radio show that you can pick & choose from for a more independent perspective.

Politico's Nerdcast is rather good for nuts & bolts of policymaking & current events in Washington.

The Weeds & the Ezra Klein Show (more 1-on-1 conversation based like WFLT above) are both good for a left-leaning perspective from Vox. 

FiveThirtyEight Elections Podcast for polling & election analysis & current events discussion. They tend to frame things in term of how it will affect elections in the future, naturally. They have an excellent series on gerrymandering that is highly recommended.

Intelligence Squared Debates will often have politically relevant topics involving different viewpoints.

Edit: Axe Files as @NM11046 mentioned above is an excellent one in interview format. My favorites from above are probably the Crooked Stuff (Lovett or Leave It is hilarious) & FiveThirtyEight. Intelligence Squared Debates are incredibly interesting.

Edited by dudeguyy
  • Plus1 1

I do not have a favorable impression of either Sam Harris or Bill Maher. 

I really, really like the Crooked Media guys. Pod Save America, Pod Save the World, Lovett or Leave it...they have a few more, I haven't really worked through all of them. dudeguyy seems to have covered it :)

I like the Vox folks, too. The Weeds is their politics podcast, and the Ezra Klein Show is at least sometimes political. 

I also like 538, and they have a politics podcast as well.

• 1 month later...

I figured we can also use this as a place to leave specific pods we think are worth a listen.

I just got done listening to one from Politico where they interviewed ex-SecDef Ash Carter on a wide range of subjects, from our response to Russia to the future of U.S. foreign policy. Really interesting stuff - it can be heard here if you're interested.

I found it fascinating he bemoaned the current exodus of diplomatic talent from the State Department, being a military guy. And he also thinks we don't have an economic answer for matching the Chinese.

• Plus1 1