The 75/25 Rule

TGHusker

I heard it said the other day that winning or success in general is "75% preparation and 25% execution". 

Some questions to consider:

1. Do you agree with this rule?

2. If so, how do you believe the current staff will be measured against this rule (will they show it to be true and succeed or fail)? 

3. Do you believe they will be better in the preparation phase

than  previous staffs  post TO era?  If so what signs do you see now (or don't see) to justify your answer?

Edit: Don't get hung up on the % but rather the concept that success follows prep work an execution is only as good as that prep work.  Prep includes S&C, film work, practice all pre-kickoff stuff. Will this staff be better than previous staffs at NU and if so, how will it be reflected on the field during game day (execution).

Edited by TGHusker
  • Plus1 1

I think Barrett said it pretty well on Nick Bahe's show the other day -  the players need to understand that the 6 a.m. grind of a workout in February is just as important as the 60 minutes they play on a fall Saturday. Championships require championship commitment at every level including going to class, workouts, diet, film study, etc.

To answer specifically:

1) I don't agree or disagree, but I agree with what I believe is the intent of that saying.

2) Frost is a process guy. A culture guy. If they're effective at implementing it and the players buy into it fully, I'm confident they will win and at a high level

3) I'm very confident they'll be better prepared mentally and physically than under the most recent head coaches. DB has said it time after time and, based on what I've been hearing, I agree: one of the biggest (if not the biggest) changes this program is going to see is in the Monday through Friday preparation and structure. Going back to #2, it's all about the process.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This makes no sense. 

You prepare and practice so that you can execute.  It's not one or the other.

Sure it makes sense -  you can only execute as well as you prepare.   Yes ultimately the game is execution but the execution is only as good as your prep.  

And Redux - it goes wtout saying we are talking about perfect practice so we can get perfect execution.  

7 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think Barrett said it pretty well on Nick Bahe's show the other day -  the players need to understand that the 6 a.m. grind of a workout in February is just as important as the 60 minutes they play on a fall Saturday. Championships require championship commitment at every level including going to class, workouts, diet, film study, etc.

To answer specifically:

1) I don't agree or disagree, but I agree with what I believe is the intent of that saying.

2) Frost is a process guy. A culture guy. If they're effective at implementing it and the players buy into it fully, I'm confident they will win and at a high level

3) I'm very confident they'll be better prepared mentally and physically than under the most recent head coaches. DB has said it time after time and, based on what I've been hearing, I agree: one of the biggest (if not the biggest) changes this program is going to see is in the Monday through Friday preparation and structure. Going back to #2, it's all about the process.

I agree and you stated it well.  I think Frost gets it just like Tom did. You play on Sat like you practiced on M-F or studied film on Sunday or lifted weights and did conditioning in the off season. 

I think this will be the biggest difference between this staff and the previous staffs.  Year round commitment is expected and hard prep work to gain the goals.  You don't turn a 0-12 team into a 13-0 team like they did at UCF without some real discipline, constant measuring, and pushing for excellence in every area.  With preparation comes confidence.  You could see it on the UCF team. They were prepared for Auburn. They didn't panic when they were down.  Have you ever taken a test or been on stage to give a speech wtout feeling well prepared - your confidence isn't there.  I think this was a problem wt the D last year - lack of confidence and belief in themselves because they weren't prepared properly. 

1 minute ago, The Maudfather said:

I was hoping this would be in reference to our run to pass ratio. RTDB!!!!

Sounds like a thread you can start without hijacking this one!!!

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I agree and you stated it well.  I think Frost gets it just like Tom did. You play on Sat like you practiced on M-F or studied film on Sunday or lifted weights and did conditioning in the off season. 

I think this will be the biggest difference between this staff and the previous staffs.  Year round commitment is expected and hard prep work to gain the goals.  You don't turn a 0-12 team into a 13-0 team like they did at UCF without some real discipline, constant measuring, and pushing for excellence in every area.  With preparation comes confidence.  You could see it on the UCF team. They were prepared for Auburn. They didn't panic when they were down.  Have you ever taken a test or been on stage to give a speech wtout feeling well prepared - your confidence isn't there.  I think this was a problem wt the D last year - lack of confidence and belief in themselves because they weren't prepared properly. 

Sounds like a thread you can start without hijacking this one!!!

I'll be sure to add the /s next time. 

I agree with Enhance. I don't think you can put numbers/percentages on it. You have to prepare if you want to execute. I guess technically the better prepared you are would allow for some failures in execution but not to the point you can put specific numbers on it. And yes I believe this staff will prepare the players better than we have seen in a very long time. If you give up on that squat in February, you may give up on finishing that block in November. It's an attitude, a mindset, more than anything.

20 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Sure it makes sense -  you can only execute as well as you prepare.   Yes ultimately the game is execution but the execution is only as good as your prep.

But, that doesn't mean I'm going to prepare 75% and execute 25%.

Like Enhance said.....I think I agree with the general idea of what hew as trying to say.  He's trying to say that the players need to work their asses off this time of year to be able to execute at a high level during the game.

But....the statement really doesn't make sense.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

But, that doesn't mean I'm going to prepare 75% and execute 25%.

Like Enhance said.....I think I agree with the general idea of what hew as trying to say.  He's trying to say that the players need to work their asses off this time of year to be able to execute at a high level during the game.

But....the statement really doesn't make sense.

I guess we can say one must execute 100% of what comes first preparation.  I think from a time and effort perspective, Prep takes up 75% or more  of ones time and execution is 25%  or less. To execute properly one has to prepare properly and that takes 75% of the total effort.  At game time you are hopefully doing 100% proper execution because the prep time is done before the kickoff

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

I guess we can say one must execute 100% of what comes first preparation.  I think from a time and effort perspective, Prep takes up 75% or more  of ones time and execution is 25%  or less. To execute properly one has to prepare properly and that takes 75% of the total effort.  At game time you are hopefully doing 100% proper execution because the prep time is done before the kickoff

If you're looking at it as a "time" statement.....then I can see it.  However, I would put that at probably 99%/1%.

My son in a decent basketball player.  If I added up all the hours he has spent in the gym practicing compared to the time he spends in a game....game time might not even be 1%.

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If you're looking at it as a "time" statement.....then I can see it.  However, I would put that at probably 99%/1%.

My son in a decent basketball player.  If I added up all the hours he has spent in the gym practicing compared to the time he spends in a game....game time might not even be 1%.

I think the main emphasis behind the 75/25 - don't expect to have success if you haven't properly prepared.  So we this thread I'm asking if preparation will set this staff apart from previous staffs and I think it will. The S&C thread is a prime example of prep work.  

I don't think we should get caught up on the percentages of preparation vs. execution.  The original percentages posted are more of a theory, than actual percentages.  In athletics, it's not surprising that the vast majority of time is spent on preparation (practices, film study, S&C, etc.) than in the actual games.

Compared to previous regimes, I do think the new staff will be much better in the "preparation" aspect.  I expect the S&C efforts to be more in-tune with the goals of the coaches.I expect the roster of players to be more involved with repetitions, learning skills and techniques, and less down time.  I expect the coaching staff to be able to communicate the strategy of the offense, defense, and special teams through film study, so that each player "knows what they should be doing in almost every circumstance" (impossible to expect perfection).

I also expect the execution of the games to be much better than previous regimes.  This is based on their strong preparation during the offseason and Sunday through Friday, but also I think the coaches will handle in-game situations much better than the past coaching staffs.  I expect the offense play calling and execution to be strong.  I expect the defensive effort and designs to be strong.  I expect the special teams to excel in all areas.  Based on all of this improvement, I expect an improvement in Nebraska's overall win-loss record.  I don't know what the magical record will be in the near-term, but I do expect improvement and progress towards competing for championships in the long-term.