Pre-Spring Presser - March 14

On 3/14/2018 at 6:35 PM, B.B. Hemingway said:

I'm sure Travis Fisher is more than capable of coaching football, but did he just bulls#!t his way through that entire media session? :lol:

I wouldn't say it was the most articulate or even entertaining of the coaches videos, but it was amongst the most informative in terms of detailing what he wants in a player and their roles in this defense.

13 hours ago, Mavric said:

Some of the twits commenting in that thread makes me wonder where their respective heads are located.

HCSF absolutely has the right idea in not cussing at players.  Chances are if they make a mistake, they already feel bad about it so cussing them out is counter-productive.  Just tell kids, "You made a mistake...learn from it and make sure to not make the same one again.  On the next play or series, make a play which makes up for it."  There are other more viable options to get your point across than to yell and/or scream and curse like a pelinitic.

Edited by Making Chimichangas
  • Plus1 2

"There's going to be some competition periods in practice and they'll go for an hour, hour-and-a-half, and don't even think they've been going over 15 minutes. That's when you really got it going: When guys have been flying around for an hour and they want to keep going. You blow the whistle and they say, 'No Coach. Let's go some more.' That's what we got at UCF. But all we did was change the environment of practice. That's all we did. And the kids just jumped in the boat. So we're going to have the same enthusiasm going on, going here in practice (starting) Friday. ... So hopefully these kids don't look at this as punishment. This is fun. This is why we chose to play football. This is why we came to college."

Fisher watches a player's body language closely to see if he's loving the game.

The kids who want to be there? You can tell with the way they attack not just the football part, but their classroom work, and the way they monitor their schedule for their whole day.

"They want to make sure they're every place that they're supposed to be on time so that they're able to play football with no problem," Fisher said. "They're able to come over without coach saying, 'Get out.' They want to be on the field. So they're willing to do everything right. This group, this team needs to be like that. That's the difference."

15 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Some of the twits commenting in that thread makes me wonder where their respective heads are located.

HCSF absolutely has the right idea in not cussing at players.  Chances are if they make a mistake, they already feel bad about it so cussing them out is counter-productive.  Just tell kids, "You made a mistake...learn from it and make sure to not make the same one again.  On the next play or series, make a play which makes up for it."  There are other more viable options to get your point across than to yell and/or scream and curse like a pelinitic.

Completely agree.

To add a little bit - players usually imitate their coaches to an extent. If you fly off the handle, they will too. You blame the refs or outside circumstances, they will too. You fail to show respect, they won't show it either. You stress out in crunch time, they'll stress out, make mistakes, and fall apart.

A coach needs to lead by example. He needs to show that he definitely cares, but not get rattled if something goes wrong. He needs to show that you control what you can control. I think Frost is a fierce competitor, but he's also a good sport who will respect others and the game.

Edited by HS_Coach_C
  • Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Bo's teams took on his personality. They played hard and fought hard, but the minute they felt something wasn't going their way they fell apart.

Good teams that all too often couldn't get out of their own damn way, led by a good man that all too often couldn't get out of his own damn way.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, teachercd said:

Uh oh...here we go again!

I wasn't trying to start anything. I was mostly trying to point out what I've seen with different coaches I've worked with.  There are many coaching styles that work, but the main thing is you have to be consistent.

Edited by HS_Coach_C

2 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I wasn't trying to start anything. I was mostly trying to point out what I've seen with different coaches I've worked with and then tried to relate that to Nebraska coaches.  There are many coaching styles that work, but the main thing is you have to be consistent.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

I think we all know the coaches will swear at times...the players will swear at times...none of it will make a player better or worse.  

Just like the obligatory massive cookout at the OL coaches house this summer won't bring the OL "close than ever"...it will just make them full.

• Plus1 1