Hail Varsity: Early Polls Have Huskers Fifth in Big Ten West

4 hours ago, Caliborn72 said:

I don’t expect a bad season, I think we win 7 and possibly more if our OLine can play to its potential. But there are depth issues and a couple of spots on the roster that I don’t fully trust against anyone. 

I think we will be fine at the starter level, and in some cases the two deep, but there is no room for injuries at many positions.

A lot of important players will be those Frost brought in, and how soon some of these young guys get up to speed will determine a lot.

• Plus1 2

12 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

I think for the most part the narrative goes as follows for pundits and journalists out there:

1.  Nebraska needs to recruit better to win the west

2.  Until they do that they won't contend for the divisional top spot in the West

The thing is, we recruit better than anyone in the west and have recruited better than anyone in the west in the past 5-7 years.  So there is just as much chance that we contend immediately or within the 2nd year.  Average recruiting for Wisconsin and Iowa has been in the 30's and 40's the past few years.  I'd say we'll be just fine contending soon.

Yep, I don't think we have to recruit any better to win the West.  We just need to play up to our ability.

Last year we were tied with Wisconsin we five minutes to go in the third quarter with probably our worst team in 60 years.  The year before that we took them to overtime.

We are not at all far from winning the West.  That doesn't mean it will happen this year but there isn't any reason we can't compete with anyone in our division.

• Plus1 5

11 hours ago, Mavric said:

Yep, I don't think we have to recruit any better to win the West.  We just need to play up to our ability.

Last year we were tied with Wisconsin we five minutes to go in the third quarter with probably our worst team in 60 years.  The year before that we took them to overtime.

We are not at all far from winning the West.  That doesn't mean it will happen this year but there isn't any reason we can't compete with anyone in our division.

Totally agree

20 hours ago, Mavric said:

That goes completely against the narrative.

The narrative is wrong.  The Big Ten West is one of the weakest, so the fact we couldn't compete to win it in the last 5 years should tell us all we need to know.  And current recruiting with better coaching will be plenty to win the division, but I think I speak for most when I say that's the minimum of my expectations moving forward.

• Plus1 2
On 6/3/2018 at 1:25 PM, MichiganDad3 said:

Where would we be predicted to finish if MR was still HC?  How many spots is Frost worth? Even with the crossover schedule, I don't see how we finish worse than third. Last year's Huskers may have been worse than the 0-12 UCF team. The trifecta of MR, SE and Diaco I was world class bad.

To the bolded...dead last in every category.