Know the audience:

Where are my posts coming from?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I answered Independent because I wouldn’t necessarily call myself a liberal. There’s a lot under the Dem umbrella that I admittedly don’t always have the bandwidth for. I’d say my core issues are climate change, healthcare, gun control, tax reform and affordable education. Dems are the only ones that offer a semblance of an answer to these so I vote that way as more of a default rather than hard-lined, cultish allegiance. 

Question for the “I used to be R but can’t vote for them anymore” folks. Were there specific instances, candidates or events that made you feel that way? 

Liberal leaning independent for me.  So, I voted "independent".  Mainly because, IMO the GOP since the 2016 election has been nothing short of a disappointing disaster.  Defend Trump's corruption at all costs, Resist reasonable gun-control, and apply their "morals" onto other people's bodies.  I am firmly against the first two and mostly against the third. I'm not loyal to a party, but I pretty much vote straight DEM these days for these and other reasons previously stated by others.

• TBH 1
3 minutes ago, Fru said:

Question for the “I used to be R but can’t vote for them anymore” folks. Were there specific instances, candidates or events that made you feel that way? 

I started to have my doubts after I realized how shallow Palin was as a VP candidate. Yet, everyone thought she was top notch - the savior of the McCain ticket..  

I liked Romney alot - I still think he would have been an excellent president.    By that time, the deep divide was already happening.  Romney was considered a good conservative in 2008.  But in 2012, many in the GOP were saying he was too moderate - even though he got the nomination.  You could see the direction the party was going. 

I could not stomach the 2016 primaries.  Trump, in my eyes was purely an opportunist (at best) and he began picking off one opponent at a time. If the 'healthy' candidates had consolidated under Gov Kasich early on, then Trump could have been defeated and we would have had a guy similar to Romney in the WH.  Once, Trump got in, I hoped the office would have moderated him.  But I was wrong and that was shown quickly.  He has spoiled the party and he more than anyone else has divided this nation into polarizing extremes.  Yes, the Dems may have some people who are on the extreme end but they don't control the party like Trump controls the GOP.   Since then, the party has fallen into a deep hole filled with extreme positions -  and this is true from local govt, state govt and federal govt.  A lot of trumpism on all 3 levels.  

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Fru said:

I'd say my core issues are climate change, healthcare, gun control, tax reform and affordable education.

All important issues which need to be addressed by intelligent, respectful and knowledgeable people.   Something the GOP is in short supply of today. 

• Plus1 2

I would describe myself as an always-progressing mostly anti-authoritarian humanist who felt inevitably forced to support the Democratic party for a few years but have not been shown enough to actually willingly participate in politics any longer. 

I'd say the current political landscape could be summed up in large part with something like this.

The people: Give us liberty

GOP: No

Dems: No #BLM

At one point I straddled both parties.  I agreed with policies on both sides of the aisle and disagreed with others. I agreed with the GOP to a degree on a number of issues like not vacating the international scene, on fiscal responsibility, and on a sovereign border.  Then as the years went by I found myself disagreeing with the tactics employed, or not, on these issues by even the more centrists Republicans.  Example, huge tax cuts for the rich when the national debt is out of control.  Trickle down economics proved to be a failure. It's going to take addressing both sides of the equation to start getting the national debt under control and neither party will budge.  The day of reckoning is coming it seems.

Then, as the moral majority, climate denying, science denying, international isolationists, culture warriors, and full-on bigots started gravitating to the GOP, I ran the other way.  Right now I can't think of one redeeming quality about the GOP.   

I consider myself a social liberal, fiscal conservative.  I don't have a party even though I'm a registered Republican solely for the purpose of voting 100% against MAGA in the primaries and then straight Democrat in the general.  The definition of a RINO.

I see the need for a social safety but I've also witnessed that get abused by people who don't need it but have figured out how to work the system.  Today, above all, the preservation and defense of democracy is paramount, especially considering the all out assault the Republicans are currently undertaking.  Once the Democrats decide to do the same we're all screwed.  

I'm just baffled by anyone who can support a party that hates gays, trans, scientists, immigrants, but loves Putin, Trump, Orban, MTG, Matt Gaetz, Desantis, Paul Gosar, Boebert, Kari Lake, Tucker Carlson, and policies like arming school teachers instead of proposing reasonable gun control legislation, banning books, women's access to health care.  I didn't even mention the loons who support Jan 6th and want to hang Fauci.

Is there really a choice?  That said I can't decide where I fit in this poll so I haven't voted yet.  

• Thanks 4
3 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

At one point I straddled both parties.  I agreed with policies on both sides of the aisle and disagreed with others. I agreed with the GOP to a degree on a number of issues like not vacating the international scene, on fiscal responsibility, and on a sovereign border.  Then as the years went by I found myself disagreeing with the tactics employed, or not, on these issues by even the more centrists Republicans.  Example, huge tax cuts for the rich when the national debt is out of control.  Trickle down economics proved to be a failure. It's going to take addressing both sides of the equation to start getting the national debt under control and neither party will budge.  The day of reckoning is coming it seems.

Then, as the moral majority, climate denying, science denying, international isolationists, culture warriors, and full-on bigots started gravitating to the GOP, I ran the other way.  Right now I can't think of one redeeming quality about the GOP.   

I consider myself a social liberal, fiscal conservative.  I don't have a party even though I'm a registered Republican solely for the purpose of voting 100% against MAGA in the primaries and then straight Democrat in the general.  The definition of a RINO.

I see the need for a social safety but I've also witnessed that get abused by people who don't need it but have figured out how to work the system.  Today, above all, the preservation and defense of democracy is paramount, especially considering the all out assault the Republicans are currently undertaking.  Once the Democrats decide to do the same we're all screwed.  

I'm just baffled by anyone who can support a party that hates gays, trans, scientists, immigrants, but loves Putin, Trump, Orban, MTG, Matt Gaetz, Desantis, Paul Gosar, Boebert, Kari Lake, Tucker Carlson, and policies like arming school teachers instead of proposing reasonable gun control legislation, banning books, women's access to health care.  I didn't even mention the loons who support Jan 6th and want to hang Fauci.

Is there really a choice?  That said I can't decide where I fit in this poll so I haven't voted yet.  

:clapYep