PSU Rivalry

Hello Board,

I am not a big Nebraska fan like most here but I have a question about Nebraska's rivalry status.  It is obvious from messages on this forum that Nebraska fans are less than thrilled with the annual end of season Iowa game.  The problem in my opinion is Nebraska as a blue blood program is being matched up with a slightly above average program traditionally, which is difficult for a program that is accustomed to matching up with Oklahoma historically.

My thoughts are why doesn't Nebraska look into playing Penn State as the Annual Season Finale Rivalry Game?  It would be a matchup of two blue blood programs and one of three blue blood matchups in the Big Ten during the Thanksgiving Weekend...Ohio State/Michigan, USC/UCLA, and Nebraska/Penn State.  Those three games would overshadow all other Big Ten games played that weekend.  It would also force Iowa to look for another end of season rival, which they most likely would have to settle for Michigan State.

I know Nebraska/Penn State isn't currently a huge rivalry but there is history there, especially with the 1994 season where both teams were undefeated but couldn't play each other for the National Championship.

I also know it is a long distance, but lets face it, the Big Ten has become a National Conference and fans can fly both directions.  With the elimination of divisions, this even makes more sense.

Penn State might have a slight talent advantage to begin with but it wouldn't be long before Nebraska would catch up.  I think being in a classic like this would help Nebraska's recruiting.  Penn State fans would need to agree, obviously, but I think this would be good for their program as well since they have always complained about the lack of a good rivalry matchup at the end of the season.

Finally, I think it would be really good for the Big Ten Conference to have three historical games during the Thanksgiving Weekend.  No other conference could top that since no other conference has that many blue blood programs to begin with.  It would be a huge money maker for television.

Anyway, I am just curious to see what Nebraska fans think about this.  I think Iowa is pulling Nebraska down to their level whereas an annual end of season rivalry would bring both Penn State and Nebraska back to elite status.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1

13 minutes ago, bigtenfootballfan said:

Hello Board,

I am not a big Nebraska fan like most here but I have a question about Nebraska's rivalry status.  It is obvious from messages on this forum that Nebraska fans are less than thrilled with the annual end of season Iowa game.  The problem in my opinion is Nebraska as a blue blood program is being matched up with a slightly above average program traditionally, which is difficult for a program that is accustomed to matching up with Oklahoma historically.

My thoughts are why doesn't Nebraska look into playing Penn State as the Annual Season Finale Rivalry Game?  It would be a matchup of two blue blood programs and one of three blue blood matchups in the Big Ten during the Thanksgiving Weekend...Ohio State/Michigan, USC/UCLA, and Nebraska/Penn State.  Those three games would overshadow all other Big Ten games played that weekend.  It would also force Iowa to look for another end of season rival, which they most likely would have to settle for Michigan State.

I know Nebraska/Penn State isn't currently a huge rivalry but there is history there, especially with the 1994 season where both teams were undefeated but couldn't play each other for the National Championship.

I also know it is a long distance, but lets face it, the Big Ten has become a National Conference and fans can fly both directions.  With the elimination of divisions, this even makes more sense.

Penn State might have a slight talent advantage to begin with but it wouldn't be long before Nebraska would catch up.  I think being in a classic like this would help Nebraska's recruiting.  Penn State fans would need to agree, obviously, but I think this would be good for their program as well since they have always complained about the lack of a good rivalry matchup at the end of the season.

Finally, I think it would be really good for the Big Ten Conference to have three historical games during the Thanksgiving Weekend.  No other conference could top that since no other conference has that many blue blood programs to begin with.  It would be a huge money maker for television.

Anyway, I am just curious to see what Nebraska fans think about this.  I think Iowa is pulling Nebraska down to their level whereas an annual end of season rivalry would bring both Penn State and Nebraska back to elite status.

Not a bad idea. Will probably never happen though.

Also, Iowa sucks.:thumbs

• Haha 1
  • TBH 2
1 hour ago, bigtenfootballfan said:

Hello Board,

1994 still hurts man, I get it.  Penn State was good that year but not on the same level with Miami or Nebraska.  

I don't like Iowa but I personally would rather keep that series going because there is zero chance I am travelling to PA in late November for the game.  Flying into Pittsburg or Philly at that time of year, on a holiday weekend, and then driving a few hours sounds horrible and expensive.    

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

1 minute ago, bigtenfootballfan said:

I should also say that I am not a Penn State fan, I am a fan of Ohio State.  I just think it would be good for the Big Ten and would also put Nebraska's Rivalry Weekend on a National Scope.

I agree with you, I just don't think the powers that be would be interested or let it happen. It would definitely be better than playing Iowa at the end of each season. Especially once we start stomping them on a yearly basis,:koolaid2:

15 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

1994 still hurts man, I get it.  Penn State was good that year but not on the same level with Miami or Nebraska.  

I don't like Iowa but I personally would rather keep that series going because there is zero chance I am travelling to PA in late November for the game.  Flying into Pittsburg or Philly at that time of year, on a holiday weekend, and then driving a few hours sounds horrible and expensive.    

I understand that it's bad for travel.  It would be exciting though and a blueblood matchup Thanksgiving Weekend could elevate both programs and the Big Ten.

When Neb joined the B1G I remember thinking that Penn St would’ve been a great team to develop a rivalry with. Traded blows in the early 80’s (If Penn Staters want to talk 94, we’d be happy to talk about the calls in the 82 game) then again in the early 2000’s. It really had all of the ingredients for a series that could develop a rivalry organically, rather than feeling forced. In fact I’d say most of the Neb-PSU matchups since 2011 have been excellent games. 

But to be completely honest, whenever I see anything related to Penn State, I can’t help but think of the Sandusky scandal and subsequent student rioting and it makes me sick to my stomach. You seem to be posting here in good faith, and I don’t bring up those things to throw stones or talk sh!t. It’s just the truth. Obviously you had nothing to do with it and obviously bad things happen at all schools. At least once a year I hear a Lawrence Phillips crack from an opposing teams fan. It always amazes me how Neb fans often get the “delusional” label from other B1G fans, albeit for a fraction of what other B1G fanbases are guilty of.

Penn St has rebounded and recovered incredibly well after one of the most horrific sports scandals of all time. In fact I’m rather amazed by it. Would it be a great annual late November college football matchup? Yes. I’m sure it’d deliver many classics. But what went down in 2011 with that school is too indelible for me to get over. I want nothing to do with Penn St. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, skers83 said:

I agree with you, I just don't think the powers that be would be interested or let it happen. It would definitely be better than playing Iowa at the end of each season. Especially once we start stomping them on a yearly basis,:koolaid2:

I think that if Nebraska and Penn State really wanted this then the Big Ten would ultimately have to allow it.  That is a lot of pressure to keep both schools happy and they both have a lot of influence.

And it would make sense as far as all of the end of season rivalry games go:

Ohio State/Michigan

USC/UCLA

Nebraska/Penn State

Wisconsin/Minnesota

Illinois/Northwestern

Indiana/Purdue

Rutgers/Maryland

Iowa/Michigan State

• Plus1 2

7 minutes ago, Fru said:

When Neb joined the B1G I remember thinking that Penn St would’ve been a great team to develop a rivalry with. Traded blows in the early 80’s (If Penn Staters want to talk 94, we’d be happy to talk about the calls in the 82 game) then again in the early 2000’s. It really had all of the ingredients for a series that could develop a rivalry organically, rather than feeling forced. In fact I’d say most of the Neb-PSU matchups since 2011 have been excellent games. 

But to be completely honest, whenever I see anything related to Penn State, I can’t help but think of the Sandusky scandal and subsequent student rioting and it makes me sick to my stomach. You seem to be posting here in good faith, and I don’t bring up those things to throw stones or talk sh!t. It’s just the truth. Obviously you had nothing to do with it and obviously bad things happen at all schools. At least once a year I hear a Lawrence Phillips crack from an opposing teams fan. It always amazes me how Neb fans often get the “delusional” label from other B1G fans, albeit for a fraction of what other B1G fanbases are guilty of.

Penn St has rebounded and recovered incredibly well after one of the most horrific sports scandals of all time. In fact I’m rather amazed by it. Would it be a great annual late November college football matchup? Yes. I’m sure it’d deliver many classics. But what went down in 2011 with that school is too indelible for me to get over. I want nothing to do with Penn St. 

No I am definitely not a Penn State fan.  The scandal was awful but it would likely fade somewhat over time.

I would disagree with the assertion that we're less than thrilled with the Iowa matchup at the end of the year. First of all, we haven't played Oklahoma regularly since 1995, so at this point we've got nearly 30 years of reps with a "lesser" program as our black friday game. Second, due to us sucking, Iowa raising their floor a decent amount, and enough time, the amount of people who would say it isn't a rivalry is much less than it was 10 or even 5 years ago. 

That being said, we would have no problem with PSU as a protected rivalry - I think by and large our fanbase really loves playing them and the matchups are pretty much always really solid. Unfortunately Iowa makes too much sense at this point, but once we go division-less who knows?

1 minute ago, Lorewarn said:

I would disagree with the assertion that we're less than thrilled with the Iowa matchup at the end of the year. First of all, we haven't played Oklahoma regularly since 1995, so at this point we've got nearly 30 years of reps with a "lesser" program as our black friday game. Second, due to us sucking, Iowa raising their floor a decent amount, and enough time, the amount of people who would say it isn't a rivalry is much less than it was 10 or even 5 years ago. 

That being said, we would have no problem with PSU as a protected rivalry - I think by and large our fanbase really loves playing them and the matchups are pretty much always really solid. Unfortunately Iowa makes too much sense at this point, but once we go division-less who knows?

Makes sense.  I do think Iowa has a ceiling though that affects Nebraska somewhat by association.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, bigtenfootballfan said:

Makes sense.  I do think Iowa has a ceiling though that affects Nebraska somewhat by association.

I think there’s some validity to this. Rivals can help keep you relevant on the field and on the recruiting trail.