Oregon & Washington to the B1G - Clemson & Florida State Next?

10 hours ago, Mavric said:

Under a 4 team playoff that would never make sense but now, with 12 teams getting in, it makes a lot of sense to me. 

All B1G teams will have 7 home games since the remaining 2 games will be weaker opponents at home.  The main negative, as mentioned, would be a stop to scheduling other strong opponents out of conference because most B1G teams would be crazy to give up the home game revenue of that 7th game.

This would strongly encourage Notre Dame to join a conference.  No more scheduling home and home with teams from the B1G.  Guessing this is a big motivator here... the B1G wants Notre Dame.   

• TBH 1

28 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

This would strongly encourage Notre Dame to join a conference.  No more scheduling home and home with teams from the B1G.  Guessing this is a big motivator here... the B1G wants Notre Dame.   

Unless what's left of the major conferences also take a 10-game schedule route, this won't move the needle for ND.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

All B1G teams will have 7 home games since the remaining 2 games will be weaker opponents at home.  The main negative, as mentioned, would be a stop to scheduling other strong opponents out of conference because most B1G teams would be crazy to give up the home game revenue of that 7th game.

This is why a 10 game conference schedule is terrible.  We would never get to see non-conference games that matter anymore.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

And who do you think the playoff committee will rank higher:

10-2 Ole Miss who played 8 conference games and 4 cupcake non-con games

or

9-3 Nebraska who played 10 conference games and 2 cupcake non-con games

I don't have any faith in that the committee would look at strength of schedule in that example.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2
2 hours ago, hskrpwr13 said:

Unless what's left of the major conferences also take a 10-game schedule route, this won't move the needle for ND.

I disagree.  Notre Dame counts on Big Ten matchups for 2 to 3 games of their core schedule yearly (now that USC is in).  They also count on yearly matchups with Stanford which, while those may be able to continue, won't be anywhere on the same level since the Pac collapse.  Add to that the likelihood that Clemson and Florida State are going to be changing conferences soon- lowering the likelihood of continued matchups with them.  It all adds up, at least in my opinion, that Notre Dame will need to join someone to keep strength of schedule up.  Not for the playoff spot but for TV contracts.  They aren't getting paid big $ to play Toledo...   

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

This is why a 10 game conference schedule is terrible.  We would never get to see non-conference games that matter anymore.

I agree, it stinks from that standpoint but I'm guessing most teams will choose the guarantee of 7 home games over the cool OOC games.  With a 12 team playoff, no B1G team will need a strength of schedule boost to earn a spot.  They just need to take care of business on the conference schedule and they make it.  

2 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Under a 4 team playoff that would never make sense but now, with 12 teams getting in, it makes a lot of sense to me. 

I’m pretty sure the main reason is to have as much inventory as possible to keep pushing the TV revenue up. 

But this isn’t a bad thought as nice side benefit. 

24 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I agree, it stinks from that standpoint but I'm guessing most teams will choose the guarantee of 7 home games over the cool OOC games.  With a 12 team playoff, no B1G team will need a strength of schedule boost to earn a spot.  They just need to take care of business on the conference schedule and they make it.  

It will be interesting to see what happens with the marquee ooc match-ups already scheduled. They probably get cancelled. We have lots of great matchups among the 18 teams though. If we can play everyone every 2 years plus a protected game i will happy. I agree 7 home games is a must for all teams, so two G5 home games will be a given.

With a 12-team playoff, the big out of conference games are as good as gone now. A larger playoff backloads the end of the year for the top teams. It is already going to be hard enough to get through conference play healthy. Why risk it at the beginning of the year? 

• Plus1 2
49 minutes ago, nic said:

It will be interesting to see what happens with the marquee ooc match-ups already scheduled. They probably get cancelled. We have lots of great matchups among the 18 teams though. If we can play everyone every 2 years plus a protected game i will happy. I agree 7 home games is a must for all teams, so two G5 home games will be a given.

Losing good OOC games sucks.  It's fun for fans and it's at least a little bit of a taste to how your team/conference stacks up with other conferences around the country.  

However, many of the top teams in the SEC have refused to play tough OOC games, especially if they are away for years.

34 minutes ago, jaws said:

With a 12-team playoff, the big out of conference games are as good as gone now. A larger playoff backloads the end of the year for the top teams. It is already going to be hard enough to get through conference play healthy. Why risk it at the beginning of the year? 

They are?

In the next 10 years Georgia has Clemson, UCLA, Florida St, and Ohio St on their schedules.  Ohio St has Texas, Alabama, Georgia, and Oregon on theirs.

Alabama is going the other way and upping their OOC strength.  They went from 2011 to 2022 with never going on the road of an OOC game (they played a handful of neutral site games).  They are going to be playing 2 ACC/B1G/Big 12 teams each year going forward, with one being on the road each year.

2025 Wisconsin and Florida St

2026 Florida St and West Virginia

2027 West Virginia and Ohio St

2028 Ohio St and Oklahoma St

2029 Oklahoma St and Norte Dame

2030 Norte Dame and Georgia Tech

2031 Georgia Tech and Boston College

2032 Arizona and Minnesota

2033 Arizona and Minnesota

2034 Virginia Tech and Boston College

• Plus1 2
38 minutes ago, Red Five said:

They are?

In the next 10 years Georgia has Clemson, UCLA, Florida St, and Ohio St on their schedules.  Ohio St has Texas, Alabama, Georgia, and Oregon on theirs.

Alabama is going the other way and upping their OOC strength.  They went from 2011 to 2022 with never going on the road of an OOC game (they played a handful of neutral site games).  They are going to be playing 2 ACC/B1G/Big 12 teams each year going forward, with one being on the road each year.

As far as the SEC goes, when they only play 8 conference games, it isn't so bad to schedule a couple other power 5 teams.  However, future schedules are as much a guarantee as the local weather forecasts right now.  Some of it will be right but you can bet many of those matchups will get cancelled.  

• TBH 1

Four of the OOC games I would look forward to are teams joining the conference. I would like playing the SEC big boys, but why chance that. I don't care about the likes of Miss St and Ol'Miss unless it's a bowl game. Playing FSU, Clemson, Miami, Texas or OU would be nice. Teams like VaTech, Virginia, and TTech I don't care as much. Beating ND is always fun. I think the only ooc game I would really miss is ND. 

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

They are?

There is a percentage of these games that will never be played. These contracts will be broken. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2