Trev is in over his head

corncraze

20 minutes ago, corncraze said:

Let’s not forget this coaching staff created this situation. They evaluated Sims and somehow saw past his NCAA-leading turnover resume. They drove off Thompson, a serviceable QB, and didn’t bring in another qb in last year’s class.

While Frost failed at the QB position and a lot of this roster he is responsible for, even he knew he needed to take two transfer QBs last year.

This a thread you started about Trev not being capable of doing his job.

• TBH 1

Sheezus.. you're really blaming the AD for our football woes?   Long or short term that's nonsense.  Good coaches come in and are generally autonomous;  they put their staff and recruits in place and get to work.  If an AD is ever responsible for the W/L column, then it's because he or she is interfering with that process, and as far as we know Trev stays out of it altogether (caveat that we do not know what goes on in his personal life wrt that) or because he or she has some personal issue with the coach.  Yes we endured Peterson wrecking things for a while (I won't bring up him firing Solich even though Solich's 58 wins during his first six seasons as Nebraska's head coach exceeded that of his two predecessors.. oops, I did bring it up).  Believe me, Steve Peterson was no Trev Alberts as to character.  He did not even hire a search team as he planned to get rid of one of Nebraska's best coaches, just daydreamed about getting Spurier etc. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
2 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

You’re rating the ability of an AD based upon the outcome of 2 football games.

Football runs college sports. Look at the conference realignment- you think any other sport really drives those decisions? Truth is, an ADs success (especially at Nebraska) is determined by football performance. 

If we magically make drastic improvements and string together more than 3-4 wins this year, I will eat crow, but seeing our offense, how many of us really believe there is any hope left for this year. Maybe Rhule figures it out in 1-2 years, but the more we lose, the worse the situation he’s in. I don’t really see him being the guy to ruthlessly change up his staff and roster to make the improvements we need. His decision-making with us to date has been extremely questionable and concerning- from the coaching staff he selected (or retained - looking directly at Raiola), his approach to the current roster and lack of urgency to drastically change it, limited use of NIL, his talent evaluation at QB (Sims and HH), and on and on and on.

6 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

This a thread you started about Trev not being capable of doing his job.

Who picked Rhule? It’s pretty unbelievable to me he had the arrogance to not even talk to Urban. Looking like he whiffed on Deion too - he’s proving you don’t need years to rebuild a program.

Our position on NIL I pin on Trev too. We can find hundreds of millions to enhance our stadium, but we can’t use even a portion of that to get top talent here? Our priority should be improving our product on the field - that’s what drives fans to the stadium, not plush seats or new video boards.

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, BigRedRig said:

Having a top 25 class, and I think it could creep even a little higher, is amazing.  

I agree with a lot of what you said in your post except here. It’s a big assumption that we’ll be able to keep together this class the worse this season gets - and it’s sure looking like it’s gonna be bad with this offense. Other teams will be asking these kids the same questions we’re asking now - “why would they want to play for a 3-win team when they could go to a top-15 program?” This staff has its work cut out for itself to hold on to the higher rated players in this class

31 minutes ago, corncraze said:

Football runs college sports. Look at the conference realignment- you think any other sport really drives those decisions? Truth is, an ADs success (especially at Nebraska) is determined by football performance. 

If we magically make drastic improvements and string together more than 3-4 wins this year, I will eat crow, but seeing our offense, how many of us really believe there is any hope left for this year. Maybe Rhule figures it out in 1-2 years, but the more we lose, the worse the situation he’s in. I don’t really see him being the guy to ruthlessly change up his staff and roster to make the improvements we need. His decision-making with us to date has been extremely questionable and concerning- from the coaching staff he selected (or retained - looking directly at Raiola), his approach to the current roster and lack of urgency to drastically change it, limited use of NIL, his talent evaluation at QB (Sims and HH), and on and on and on.

I doubt anyone has a bigger fire in the belly to right the ship, than Trev, and Coach Rhule.  They're football heads their whole lives. I trust they'll get it done if the fans help, instead of b!^@hing all the time.

Humans make mistakes,  it's hard to judge talent. The US divorce rate is over 50% I think.

They know what the problem is and how to fix it. 

Give them what they need, and get out of the way.

4 minutes ago, Slow yer Roll said:

I doubt anyone has a bigger fire in the belly to right the ship, than Trev, and Coach Rhule.  They're football heads their whole lives. I trust they'll get it done if the fans help, instead of b!^@hing all the time.

Humans make mistakes,  it's hard to judge talent. The US divorce rate is over 50% I think.

I’d argue they have what they need and are failing… 

NIL resources - not being used

Financial backing for top talent coaching staff - Rhule hires mostly his no-name buddies

Brand new state-of-the-art facilities

13 minutes ago, Slow yer Roll said:

Also I’m sure they do “have fire in their bellies.” Doesn’t basically every coach want to win? We heard this same line with Frost. Just because they want something to happen doesn’t mean they have the capability to execute it. And right now they damn sure aren’t executing. But Deion is… 

Why do they deserve a long leash? Why shouldn’t they be held accountable when they are under-performing? Do you have performance reviews in your work? What would the reaction be if you were performing below expectations?

39 minutes ago, corncraze said:

Yep I definitely did. I wanted an elite recruiter. That’s how you get into the top 10 these days. We have a major talent problem.

?? Texas AM, ND, Clemson all say hello. Just because talent comes, doesn't guarantee success. Defense looks significantly improved, we'll just have to see how the offense continues to develop and whether or not staff is willing to change plans on the fly. 

17 hours ago, corncraze said:

Our program has been on life support these last few years and did/does not have the luxury of being able to grit through a long rebuild strategy that may not even payoff. More losing seasons = slipping further and further into irrelevancy, more fan disengagement (especially the younger generations), lower perception and less interest from high talent athletes, less resources, etc. 

We have been in desperate need of a something/anything to re-energize our fan base and recruits FAST. Rhule’s hire, given his slow build track record, was a risk for Trev. So was not fully embracing NIL and using one of the few potential advantages our program has to improve our talent pool. 

Hidden-gem identification and player development is not what we needed - nor may it ever be the solution to get us back into a top 10-15 program. Most mid- to bottom-level programs try to operate this way. Difference is most schools don’t have the same financial resources we have to take advantage of NIL.

Nebraska needed an elite recruiter that embraces NIL and operates with deep urgency to improve our roster quickly. Success builds on success - buy more talent to start winning games now and we become more appealing to future recruiting classes. Urban definitely could have, Deion has shown he would have, etc. TALENT is what wins games above anything else - and we dont have enough of it. It boggles my mind Trev didn’t recognize and prioritize this.

Trev may have had one final shot to save this program, and it’s looking like he floundered the opportunity. But thank goodness we’ll have $300-700M in beautiful stadium updates - it will look real nice half-filled on a BTN mid-day broadcast.

Trev is booty checks

2 minutes ago, YetiJR said:

?? Texas AM, ND, Clemson all say hello. Just because talent comes, doesn't guarantee success. Defense looks significantly improved, we'll just have to see how the offense continues to develop and whether or not staff is willing to change plans on the fly. 

All of which have been significantly better than us these last 8-9 years.

Clemson has won multiple CFPs in the last decade - I’d kill to be in their position.

How many CFP teams have gotten there through talent development? Cincinnati and maybe you could argue TCU. That’s 2 in the entire existence of the CFP.