Illinois Week Pressers

Mavric

1 minute ago, Rhulethehusk said:

Honest question. What makes you think he can’t give us quality minutes? 

What makes folks think that there won't be a drop off from the starters?  Honest question.

Starters getting hurt isn't a good thing for the team.  No matter how much we want the walk-on story to be magical.

• Plus1 2
51 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I am still not glad he has his chance.  I don't think you are glad he is getting a chance either.  

I can't control that and....like my post says, "Everyone would love to still have a 4 or 5 star kid in that position, but we don’t."

At this point, I don't care that he was a walk-on.  He's the next man up.  I don't look at him any more negatively than I do any other player in a similar position.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
4 minutes ago, funhusker said:

What makes folks think that there won't be a drop off from the starters?  Honest question.

Starters getting hurt isn't a good thing for the team.  No matter how much we want the walk-on story to be magical.

Question...who here is trying to make this some magical walk-on story?  He's the next man up.  Yes, he was a walk-on and that was mentioned.  So what?

• Plus1 3

I agree there will be a drop off. Never said there wouldn’t be. I just wondered what people have been seeing to think he can’t be efficient for us in our defense.. I’m not pushing the walk on dream story of the 80-90’s.. we have recruited talented kids in the back end for awhile and Sanford seems to keep being brought up and ends up higher on the depth chart.. Javier Morton was a stud out of high school can crack the lineup.. 

• TBH 1

Just now, Rhulethehusk said:

I agree there will be a drop off. Never said there wouldn’t be. I just wondered what people have been seeing to think he can’t be efficient for us in our defense.. I’m not pushing the walk on dream story of the 80-90’s.. we have recruited talented kids in the back end for awhile and Sanford seems to keep being brought up and ends up higher on the depth chart.. Javier Morton was a stud out of high school can crack the lineup.. 

Could have stopped here.  This is why people think his minutes won't be of high as quality.

It is what it is though.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Question...who here is trying to make this some magical walk-on story?  He's the next man up.  Yes, he was a walk-on and that was mentioned.  So what?

I guess no one here.  But those people are out there, I talked to one yesterday afternoon at practice.  Not really Rhule's fault, he's had one recruiting class.  But Frost and his staff continue to frustrate since this is the depth...

5 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Could have stopped here.  This is why people think his minutes won't be of high as quality.

It is what it is though.  

Singleton was not rated out of HS on 247.....just like Sanford.  He went to JUCO and played fairly well and ended up being rated a mid 3* before being recruited here.  Sanford didn't go to JUCO and, instead, walked on here and has proven to be a valuable player in some situations like special teams.

Are you telling me there's a huge difference between these two player's paths?  I'm not seeing it.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Singleton was not rated out of HS on 247.....just like Sanford.  He went to JUCO and played fairly well and ended up being rated a mid 3* before being recruited here.  Sanford didn't go to JUCO and, instead, walked on here and has proven to be a valuable player in some situations like special teams.

Are you telling me there's a huge difference between these two player's paths?  I'm not seeing it.

One is 6'3 and 205, crazy length and able to tackle in the open field as a in the box safety.

The other is 5'11 and 195, that is a huge difference right there.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

If by "pretty much" you mean "I completely made up the part where he was dogging on higher-rated players" then yes.

I think it is safe to say that the implication is there.

We know this story and we love it because when it comes true it is amazing.  The small town kid from Nebraska, would run through a brick wall, his heart is bigger than his body, he bleeds NU, he always gives 110% and he would die to get on the field.

And of course, the highly ranked kid does not do those things OR at the very least, doesn't have the heart and "want to" of the small town NE kid.  

The simple fact is, NU needs LESS walk ons and former walk ons starting games, not more.   I think we can all agree on that.

With that said I hope this Sanford kid has 15 tackles, 5 sacks, 2 pick sixes and 4 force fumbles AND makes love to the hottest girl that attends Illinois at the end of game, on the 50 yard line.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

One is 6'3 and 205, crazy length and able to tackle in the open field as a in the box safety.

The other is 5'11 and 195, that is a huge difference right there.  

There is definitely a size difference.  But I'm pretty sure Sanford wouldn't have been one of our main special teams coverage guys the past two years if he couldn't tackle in space.  And he's a higher-rated tackler than Singleton according to PFF.

• TBH 1