Illinois Week Pressers

Mavric

28 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why?  What you were doing the first three games was working.  Why change now?  Or.....obviously what you changed to isn't working...so why not go back to what you were doing before?

I guess I don't see the issue with that against Michigan.  They were so run-heavy that it probably didn't lend itself to try to bring pressure on a passing down.  If we could really ever get them into a passing down.

And I guess I don't know that there is a whole lot to complain about against LaTech.  They did rack up some yardage but they also threw it 42 times to get that yardage.  Yards per attempt weren't anything special.  And we held them to 7 points until the garbage-time TD after the lightning delay.

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I guess I don't see the issue with that against Michigan.  They were so run-heavy that it probably didn't lend itself to try to bring pressure on a passing down.  If we could really ever get them into a passing down.

And I guess I don't know that there is a whole lot to complain about against LaTech.  They did rack up some yardage but they also threw it 42 times to get that yardage.  Yards per attempt weren't anything special.  And we held them to 7 points until the garbage-time TD after the lightning delay.

We were getting pressure on the QB the first three games while still having a good rush defense.  The last two games, they changed it up and we aren't getting pressure anymore.

We went from having an attacking defense, to one that looks like what we have had for a number of years.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

We were getting pressure on the QB the first three games while still having a good rush defense.  The last two games, they changed it up and we aren't getting pressure anymore.

We went from having an attacking defense, to one that looks like what we have had for a number of years.

injuries may have had something to do with that.

• Plus1 3

43 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

There were also comments about Air Raid teams being very hard to pressure because they get the ball out so fast.  So we may have decided to play coverage there instead of trying to bring pressure that wouldn't get there anyway.

And, as I said, there were far fewer chances to bring pressure against Michigan.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

There were also comments about Air Raid teams being very hard to pressure because they get the ball out so fast.  So we may have decided to play coverage there instead of trying to bring pressure that wouldn't get there anyway.

And, as I said, there were far fewer chances to bring pressure against Michigan.

I'm not that worried about what we saw against Michigan. That game is what it is.  We were far out talented and we lost like the vast majority of people thought we would.  But, I'm more surprised they made the change against La Tech.  Hey...keep the pressure on.  Against other teams we were able to defend the rush while still attacking the QB.  But...when you put the two teams together as performances, it leads me to question...is this what they plan on doing the rest of the year?  Or, will they go back to the attacking defense against other teams?

And, the previous comment about injuries is a valid point.

• Plus1 1