Illinois Week Pressers

Mavric

53 minutes ago, Undone said:

I do think Satterfield can do a little more than he has so far in terms of getting different kinds of plays into the mix at the right time. It's not necessarily a generic complaint about "play calling" but rather a "how can we use guys differently and avoid the constant blitzes."

We don't pass block well. So don't dial up slow-developing passing plays on 1st down. He thinks it's catching the other team off guard, and maybe it could - if we didn't suck in pass protection.

Do something to work the ball outside quickly on early downs. Maybe that's just designed keepers out of the "I" for Haarberg.

I wish he would use I formation bootleg TE drag routes.   Gives HH an option to tuck and run if nothing is there and it’s an easy High/Low read.  

Could/should start using a TE rollback on some soft sprint outs.   

I feel like he isn’t creative enough with TE designed plays than he could be.  I get  Fidone has a few touchdowns, but his talent level is conducive to being a larger part of a designed passing offense geared towards his abilities.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I wish he would use I formation bootleg TE drag routes.   Gives HH an option to tuck and run if nothing is there and it’s an easy High/Low read.  

Could/should start using a TE rollback on some soft sprint outs.   

I feel like he isn’t creative enough with TE designed plays than he could be.  I get  Fidone has a few touchdowns, but his talent level is conducive to being a larger part of a designed passing offense geared towards his abilities.  

Student body right PA "Y" banana 

12 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

That would be a play action pass to the TE who would be running a route that looks like a banana.  

I understand what a banana route is, was wondering why the student body right language then now actually focused on the PA in your sentence.  Initially I read your post as a handoff with TE drag.  It’s my bad on my confusion. Carry on. 

• Plus1 1

The usual disclaimer: overanalyzing stuff coaches say in press conferences is probably not great. But also this is a message board, etc.

Rhule said something in yesterday's presser that I thought was worth talking about:

"We don't need the offense out there in 4 wide, dropping back & throwing it 50 times a game. We did that the last couple years, right? And everyone said 'hey, it doesn't work here.'" So, why would the defense want us to still keep doing that?"

I understand that "50 times a game" was intentional hyperbole to make a point. But for me the point didn't actually land. To wit, it was barely half that figure on average, probably. And we weren't constantly in a 4 wide spread look. In fact in years 2-4 I think those plays were fairly few & far between for Frost's playbook.

Outside of Frost year 5, we used a big, physical QB as the workhorse and linchpin of the whole damn thing. Sound familiar?

Face it, coach; your offense blows right now. It legitimately sucks. You do need to fix that right away, and you need to figure out how to keep the chains moving. Yes, mistakes have kept some points off the board in the red zone and also we've only played 5 games.

But what we're doing right now on offense is just like one rung above Iowa, and like Iowa's scheme it's not going to be attractive to QB's that throw well and talented receivers. "Pay The Players More" guy will come in and say we just need to "open up the checkbook," but this scheme needs a little bit of tweaking.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 4
Just now, Red Five said:

I just ran across the depth chart for this week.  I think the moving of Gbayor inside and Princewill to Jack has been mentioned.

One thing that is new is TFr DeAndre Barnes behind Gifford at Rover.

F7dAL2oWIAA90HX?format=jpg&name=large

It's nice to see him making a move - not really the freshman DB I'd expect but guys need to step up. That being said, I strongly suspect they'd slide Sanford over to Rover if Gifford went down and we'd see more Bretz at Safety. 

5 minutes ago, Undone said:

The usual disclaimer: overanalyzing stuff coaches say in press conferences is probably not great. But also this is a message board, etc.

Rhule said something in yesterday's presser that I thought was worth talking about:

I understand that "50 times a game" was intentional hyperbole to make a point. But for me the point didn't actually land. To wit, it was barely half that figure on average, probably. And we weren't constantly in a 4 wide spread look. In fact in years 2-4 I think those plays were fairly few & far between for Frost's playbook.

Face it, coach; your offense blows right now. It legitimately sucks. You do need to fix that right away, and you need to figure out how to keep the chains moving. Yes, mistakes have kept some points off the board in the red zone and also we've only played 5 games.

But what we're doing right now is just like one rung above Iowa, and like Iowa's scheme it's not going to be attractive to QB's that throw well and talented receivers. "Pay The Players More" guy will come in and say we just need to "open up the checkbook," but this scheme needs a little bit of tweaking.

I didn't catch that.  Interesting.  Rhule has made a point of saying he wasn't going to say bad things about previous staff/teams/players.   Seems odd in that context.  Plus not being very accurate, as you pointed out.

• TBH 1
5 minutes ago, Undone said:

But what we're doing right now is just like one rung above Iowa, and like Iowa's scheme it's not going to be attractive to QB's that throw well and talented receivers. "Pay The Players More" guy will come in and say we just need to "open up the checkbook," but this scheme needs a little bit of tweaking.

To be honest the plays we've ran aren't really that different from Satterfield to Frost. The window dressing is pretty different (base formation, motions, FB instead of TE), but the concepts are the same. Really, the toss sweep is the only thing that I've been like "Hey, haven't seen that since Beck!" Also, we don't run everybody's favorite WR screen anymore.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I didn't catch that.  Interesting.  Rhule has made a point of saying he wasn't going to say bad things about previous staff/teams/players.   Seems odd in that context.  Plus not being very accurate, as you pointed out.

This place has a subtle way of putting some pretty insane pressure on coaches. I'm sure he's starting to feel it in ways he didn't really expect 2+ months ago.

I don't want to go down a big rabbit hole of dissecting Frost's teams here, I'd rather talk about this year's team. But Frost pretty rarely had the kind of defense that showed up in that Minnesota game or the Northern Illinois game. If he would have routinely had that, he wouldn't have produced a perennial 4-8 dumpster fire. We would have won way more games.

I disagree with the concept that "playing the kind of football everybody else plays in your conference" is necessary to win. No, you can win with a scheme that's different from the herd in your conference/division. Purdue is a decent example of that on offense.

I had a very "wait & see" approach with the comments from Gamecocks fans about Satterfield's scheme. But honestly, a lot of what they were saying is playing out to a 'T' for us this season. But the point is, it's not hard to tweak things. It's obviously hard if you feel that your QB can't make medium/deep throws - that part is understandable.

But the explicit mentality Rhule is describing is playing conservatively at all costs. Not really a big fan of that. Again...I know we're a bit limited by talent in some of that.

• Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, ZRod said:

To be honest the plays we've ran aren't really that different from Satterfield to Frost. The window dressing is pretty different (base formation, motions, FB instead of TE), but the concepts are the same. Really, the toss sweep is the only thing that I've been like "Hey, haven't seen that since Beck!" Also, we don't run everybody's favorite WR screen anymore.

I don't really remember Frost doing much 22 man personnel at all, outside of goal line scenarios here and there. Didn't really do that at midfield that I recall. If I'm wrong there, somebody correct me.

He ran some 12 man for sure, and I definitely think any team should  run a healthy dose of 12 man in the B1G. But in my opinion, Frost did creative things out of 11 man that make Satterfield's playbook look pretty lame, all in all.

So like, Rhule's comments there first of all were inaccurate. And for me were also just a hair away from "whiny" and definitely in the category of making excuses. Like I said, I think the s*** they've rolled out kind of sucks and they need to get a bit more creative. Just my opinion there.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I understand what a banana route is, was wondering why the student body right language then now actually focused on the PA in your sentence.  Initially I read your post as a handoff with TE drag.  It’s my bad on my confusion. Carry on. 

well you said out of the "I".  Believe in the heyday of the "I" formation Student body right and student body left were popular calls.