Thoughts on Friday Night Games?

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Man, that seems high but you could be right.  There is always that large group of dudes trying to escape being home and saying "bar" is triggering so that have to say "HS FB game". :)

You are actually right with this assumption.I go to a few high school games. Was at the Catholic vs Battle creek 2 weeks ago. Most of the guys hit the parking lot at halftime. Just a place for them to go drink and socialize. A lot of them are not even paying attention to the game.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, skers83 said:

You are actually right with this assumption.I go to a few high school games. Was at the Catholic vs Battle creek 2 weeks ago. Most of the guys hit the parking lot at halftime. Just a place for them to go drink and socialize. A lot of them are not even paying attention to the game.

Haha!  Hell yeah!

It is a free pass for a lot of guys!

It sounds sooooo different

"Sweetie, me and Gregg are gonna hit up the local HS game"

or

"Sweetie, me and Gregg are gonna go get loaded at the Spigot" 

• TBH 1
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Haha!  Hell yeah!

It is a free pass for a lot of guys!

It sounds sooooo different

"Sweetie, me and Gregg are gonna hit up the local HS game"

or

"Sweetie, me and Gregg are gonna go get loaded at the Spigot" 

Exactly. I for one though pay really close attention to their wiv....I mean the game.

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 minute ago, skers83 said:

Exactly. I for one though pay really close attention to their wiv....I mean the game.

Hahaha!

Times when I was not coaching I would hit up a varsity game with a friend or two, it was always an easy way to grab a beer or 5 before the game, then like 16 more beers after the game.

• Oh Yeah! 1

8 minutes ago, skers83 said:

Haha. How many beers did you grab when you were coaching?:D

Before games, not enough!  Ha

After games it would depend.  I can remember coming back from games that were like 25-30 minutes away and one coach would load up a 6 pack of tallboys, just for me and him, we would drive together.  So on the way back to school after the game he would "force" (okay, it did not take much forcing) me to drink 3 and he would drink 3 in that 30 minute time span.

Then we would stop at a bar once we unloaded equipment.  

• Oh Yeah! 1
10 minutes ago, teachercd said:

After games it would depend.  I can remember coming back from games that were like 25-30 minutes away and one coach would load up a 6 pack of tallboys, just for me and him, we would drive together.  So on the way back to school after the game he would "force" (okay, it did not take much forcing) me to drink 3 and he would drink 3 in that 30 minute time span.

What Is A Lightweight In Drinking

11 minutes ago, teachercd said:

You didn't have to ride with the team?

I was in Las Vegas last Friday night, and had reservations for a nice dinner with the wife. I told her the Husker game was on, but that I would never sacrifice a special night out with such a beautiful, talented and special lady. She suggested we get some bourbon at the outdoor sports bar and watch a quarter or so before dinner. Isn't she great?

Well the sports bar had eight screens of Friday night sports running. Three were playing the Kansas State vs Oklahoma State game. Three were playing the Cornell vs Harvard game (?!), one was playing the NFL Networks tribute to d!(k Butkus, and one seemed to be playing nothing but commercials. I asked the bartender if he could give us one f#&%ing screen of Nebraska vs Illinois and after about 10 minutes he was able to pull up the last 1:53 of the first half.

Even with such paltry Friday night sports competition, Nebraska wasn't moving the needle. 

Dinner was nice.

56 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I was in Las Vegas last Friday night, and had reservations for a nice dinner with the wife. I told her the Husker game was on, but that I would never sacrifice a special night out with such a beautiful, talented and special lady. She suggested we get some bourbon at the outdoor sports bar and watch a quarter or so before dinner. Isn't she great?

Well the sports bar had eight screens of Friday night sports running. Three were playing the Kansas State vs Oklahoma State game. Three were playing the Cornell vs Harvard game (?!), one was playing the NFL Networks tribute to d!(k Butkus, and one seemed to be playing nothing but commercials. I asked the bartender if he could give us one f#&%ing screen of Nebraska vs Illinois and after about 10 minutes he was able to pull up the last 1:53 of the first half.

Even with such paltry Friday night sports competition, Nebraska wasn't moving the needle. 

Dinner was nice.

Where did you have dinner?  I was in Vegas just a couple weeks ago for a long weekend with the wife. 

22 hours ago, runningblind said:

Where did you have dinner?  I was in Vegas just a couple weeks ago for a long weekend with the wife. 

I really don't know Vegas, so I was working off the recommendations of friends. I thought I was pretty smart calling for Friday night reservations a week ahead, but the four places recommended to us were all booked. So we grabbed a reservation at Jack Binions in The Horseshoe across from our hotel. Very old school in a good way and they knew how to make a $58 steak. 

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I really don't know Vegas, so I was working off the recommendations of friends. I thought I was pretty smart calling for Friday night reservations a week ahead, but the four places recommended to us were all booked. So we grabbed a reservation at Jack Binions in The Horseshoe across from our hotel. Very old school in a good way and they knew how to make a $58 steak. 

Nice.  We had some excellent food in Vegas also, seemed to be everywhere.