Thoughts on Friday Night Games?

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I think we knew this was coming once Fox lost WWE Smackdown on Friday nights.  And these games will be on big Fox, not FS1, so you would think you will see the marquee teams playing. 

I think "any" game on Friday night will be a marquee game.  This is going to draw decent ratings no matter who is playing because they will all be "name" teams.

Ideally, they would want two big names, of course.  But I just think it will be hard to get NU, OSU, Michigan or PSU to host Friday night games.  

That NU Friday game...not playing Saturday, followed by a bye week, BLOWS

• Plus1 3

On 10/10/2023 at 2:41 PM, teachercd said:

I do think there is like this odd idea that everyone is out watching HS games on a Friday.  For the most part I don't think I know one person that goes to a high school game on a Friday night anymore.  

I didn't go to HS football games when I was in HS.  I ran cross country, so we always had a meet on Friday or early Saturday AM.  If our meet was Friday, I was too tired to watch the football get their a$$es kicked and if it was Saturday I had to be up at 5 or 6 AM so I could eat something before the meet.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

I didn't go to HS football games when I was in HS.  I ran cross country, so we always had a meet on Friday or early Saturday AM.  If our meet was Friday, I was too tired to watch the football get their a$$es kicked and if it was Saturday I had to be up at 5 or 6 AM so I could eat something before the meet.

I think there is a bit of a storybook idea that all these people go attend these HS games on Friday.  And clearly in some places that is the case.  

BUT unless you are playing in the game or your kid is playing the game, you would more than likely be okay with 1 Friday night game per year for the team you cheer for.  

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

I think "any" game on Friday night will be a marquee game.  This is going to draw decent ratings no matter who is playing because they will all be "name" teams.

Ideally, they would want two big names, of course.  But I just think it will be hard to get NU, OSU, Michigan or PSU to host Friday night games.  

That NU Friday game...not playing Saturday, followed by a bye week, BLOWS

Yes, I didn't mean that we would be seeing Penn St @ Michigan on a Friday.  But you will see one of the "main" B1G teams playing in each game.  You won't get a Northwestern @ Indiana on a Friday night.

Also, haven't the Pac schools been playing on Fridays for a while, so I could see one of them (especially USC or UCLA) hosting on a Friday since they don't have on campus stadiums.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Yes, I didn't mean that we would be seeing Penn St @ Michigan on a Friday.  But you will see one of the "main" B1G teams playing in each game.  You won't get a Northwestern @ Indiana on a Friday night.

Also, haven't the Pac schools been playing on Fridays for a while, so I could see one of them (especially USC or UCLA) hosting on a Friday since they don't have on campus stadiums.

I think you are right about the Pac schools and I bet the MAC schools, after a few seasons of it, started to embrace the weeknight games.

I don't think I would love it because it would take away a Saturday home game (or could) which sucks but on those Friday nights it would be fun to have the game on.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

I think there is a bit of a storybook idea that all these people go attend these HS games on Friday.  And clearly in some places that is the case.  

BUT unless you are playing in the game or your kid is playing the game, you would more than likely be okay with 1 Friday night game per year for the team you cheer for.  

I've never given 2 hoots about high school football.  I agree it's overblown, most people don't care. 

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

I would imagine that the number of fans in the HS stands the DO NOT have a kid on the team, daughter cheering or kid in the band, has to be less than 10%

A lot more go because that's what you do on Friday nights. My BIL still goes to every BellWest game because he's done it for 10+ years, none of his kids go there, and most of the people he sits with at the games are the same way. There's decent sized crowds at their games, I'd say it's more than 30% at the game don't have a child competing or performing in any capacity.

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1
8 hours ago, Madcows said:

A lot more go because that's what you do on Friday nights. My BIL still goes to every BellWest game because he's done it for 10+ years, none of his kids go there, and most of the people he sits with at the games are the same way. There's decent sized crowds at their games, I'd say it's more than 30% at the game don't have a child competing or performing in any capacity.

Man, that seems high but you could be right.  There is always that large group of dudes trying to escape being home and saying "bar" is triggering so that have to say "HS FB game". :)

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I normally go to a few HS football games a year.  I don't know any of the players yet (will in a couple years), but I do know 2 of the coaches.

1) Only if the weather is nice.

B) I have kids that are in middle school and going to games "is the thing to do".  I think the boy actually watches and pays attention.  The girl is just there to socialize (and the girl is best friends with the head coach's daughter).

iii) We live less than a mile from the stadium, so its an easy walk.

IV) They kinda suck this year, so I am probably going to only make it to 1 game (see number 1 for the home game next week).

We did go to their state championship game at the local NFL stadium a few years ago.

• Thanks 1