***Official 2024 College Football Thread***

GSG

I have no problem whatsoever if a player headed to the NFL opts out of a bowl game to prevent injurying themselves before getting their paycheck. Get your $ then injure yourself in the NFL.

And I don't really fault a transfer player doing it either, but I fault the system that allows that to happen. The NCAA needs to do whatever they need to do to disallow players from entering the transfer portal prior to the National Championship game. If that means moving the early signing day to January 15, then do that. (I know the 2 are not the same, but I assume many transfer decisions are based in part on who is being signed out of high school). But I know that's problematic too since freshman are getting on campus early - but they were doing that before the early signing day existed. I just don't recall how it worked.

21 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I have no problem whatsoever if a player headed to the NFL opts out of a bowl game to prevent injurying themselves before getting their paycheck. Get your $ then injure yourself in the NFL.

And I don't really fault a transfer player doing it either, but I fault the system that allows that to happen. The NCAA needs to do whatever they need to do to disallow players from entering the transfer portal prior to the National Championship game. If that means moving the early signing day to January 15, then do that. (I know the 2 are not the same, but I assume many transfer decisions are based in part on who is being signed out of high school). But I know that's problematic too since freshman are getting on campus early - but they were doing that before the early signing day existed. I just don't recall how it worked.

I think the easy solution is moving the portal window opening until after all the bowl games are played. You'll still see players opt out who are going pro, but if there's no portal open, you wouldn't have as many players not available. For FSU, the reason he's leaving is because FSU went after portal QBs to replace him. FSU showed him no loyalty (which they should always try to get better, so I don't necessarily fault them for doing that) so he said screw you, I'm out and is showing them no loyalty (which he should always be looking for his best opportunity, so I don't fault him for doing that). NCAA could have prevented it all by saying portal window opens 01/10/24. Which makes it a lot harder to move since you won't be able to enroll in your new school in time to be able to participate in spring practices. So, it's a win-win, less players opt out and less players will hit the portal as soon as the season ends. More potentially in the summer window, but with no spring practice I think more players would be hesitant to opt for a change of scenery without the added benefit of extra practices with their new team.

• TBH 2
  • 2 weeks later...