***Official 2024 College Football Thread***

GSG

I am going to disagree with the SEC doesn't schedule anyone take. There are some tough schedules here.

Florida has Miami, A&M, Tennessee, Georgia, Texas, LSU, Ole Miss, FSU. Georgia-FSU are 5 weeks in a row which might be the hardest stretch in CFB history. I also left out a good Kentucky, a UCF that tries, and Mississippi State. Samford is the only slam dunk. I wouldn't wish that schedule on my worst enemy.

LSU scheduled both USC and UCLA in the non con. Sure they might both be meh but that is a crazy two out of conference programs to schedule the same year.

29 minutes ago, Omaha-Husker said:

I am going to disagree with the SEC doesn't schedule anyone take. There are some tough schedules here.

I don't think that's really the argument.  They play eight conference games and (usually) one OOC P5.  So that's basically the same as a nine conference game schedule.  Their other four are mostly buy games at home.

Florida has Miami, A&M, Tennessee, Georgia, Texas, LSU, Ole Miss, FSU. Georgia-FSU are 5 weeks in a row which might be the hardest stretch in CFB history. I also left out a good Kentucky, a UCF that tries, and Mississippi State. Samford is the only slam dunk. I wouldn't wish that schedule on my worst enemy.

"UCF that tries" a nice stretch to try to find a way to make it sound tougher than they are.  They just went 3-6 in the Big XII.  And Miss St went 1-7 in the SEC.  How is that much of a test.  Neither Miami nor aTm were over .500 in conference.  Not exactly world-beaters.

Georgia-Texas-LSU-Ole Miss-FSU is quite the stretch, I'll give you that.  That's one team in one year.  

Nebraska has Tennessee-Ohio State-Washington-Oregon two year's in a row coming up.

LSU scheduled both USC and UCLA in the non con. Sure they might both be meh but that is a crazy two out of conference programs to schedule the same year.

I will give them credit for that.  That's pretty unusual.  That's one year for one team. 

What was the SEC's best OOC win this year.  For the entire conference?

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Horrible for the sport. 

Kind of can’t fault them after getting shafted on playoff selection. FSU players are the last ones that owe anything to the sport.

But I agree generally. Players opting out of bowl games makes a mockery of all bowl games. I haven’t watched a single bowl game this year, and I doubt if I will.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3
11 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Kind of can’t fault them after getting shafted on playoff selection. FSU players are the last ones that owe anything to the sport.

But I agree generally. Players opting out of bowl games makes a mockery of all bowl games. I haven’t watched a single bowl game this year, and I doubt if I will.

All of that is what’s horrible. 

On 12/27/2023 at 10:38 AM, Lorewarn said:

I certainly don't like it, but at the end of the day, bowl games were originally created to be exhibitions and nothing more.

Also originally, they were interesting. Players didn’t opt out and a few of them had some bearing on the final rankings and natl champion. Now with about 40 bowl games only 3 matter and the players couldn’t care less about the others. I actually don’t understand how they can still generate enough advertising sales to put one on. I literally will not be watching one bowl game this year or ever again except if/when Nebraska makes it back to one. Can’t even bet on them anymore because you have no idea what scrub players will even take the field.

Bah humbug. Get off my lawn.