Is Nebraska a "blue blood" program?

1 hour ago, gossamorharpy said:

Lets not forget it was just a few short years ago that Jim harbaugh restructured his contract to more of a "prove it on the field" contract given the doubts that he couldnt beat tOSU and win the big games.  He tweaked his offensive philosophy and now has guys in an OC and DC capacity that will most likely either be his backfill or go on to be a HC elsewhere.  

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yep. We've had a really bad seven years. Michigan had a bad seven years and fired two coaches before Harbaugh. And to be honest, there were plenty of Michigan fans ready to fire Harbaugh after five seasons, given a 9-4 record and inability to beat Ohio State and Michigan State. 

Amazing what a little good old fashioned cheating can help accomplish.

IMO, Michigan’s last two titles both have a big ole asterisk by them. 97 because everyone who is not a Meatchicken homer knows Nebraska was the better team that year and would’ve destroyed them. And this year because of all the cheating and rule breaking they apparently needed to engage in to seal the deal.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2

18 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Eh, I don't ding Michigan for the scandal. Great season and a complete game against a worthy Washington team. 

You’re okay with cheating and breaking the rules. Good to know.

Sure they more than handled Washington but the thing we’ll never be sure of is if they make it into that game without breaking the rules. IMO they more than deserve to be dinged for all their sign stealing, illegal contact and recruiting violations. Ignoring the rules seems to be a Harbaugh staple.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
6 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Sure they more than handled Washington but the thing we’ll never be sure of is if they make it into that game without breaking the rules. IMO they more than deserve to be dinged for all their sign stealing, illegal contact and recruiting violations. Ignoring the rules seems to be a Harbaugh staple.

Or, what cheating were they doing during this game and the playoffs?

• Plus1 1
21 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Some of you are leaving Bob Devaney off the blue blood years, and let's not forget that Nebraska football put the state on the map in the first half of 20th century.

But yes, OP, if nothing changes in the next 50 years, Nebraska will have turned into Minnesota. 

The BobFather most certainly is the initial reason we are blue bloods.

• TBH 2

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Given their schedule, it would be safe to say they would have. They played 5 ranked teams out of their last 6 games and none before that. And they won two of those games against ranked opponents without their head coach. But that also assumes they stopped doing what they are accused of doing when it came out.

Edit: I missed the part about the other two violations. I got nothing for that.

Edited by desertshox
Selective reading
4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Everyone steals signs, because it is legal.  They went too far, and were slapped on the wrist for it.  Everyone pushes the boundaries on recruiting also, don't kid yourself there. 

They were the best team, and they beat the hardest teams on their schedule after the sign stealing bit came out.  They deserve this title.  Harbaugh can flat out coach, no matter what you think of him.  Wins everywhere he goes. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, runningblind said:

Everyone steals signs, because it is legal.  They went too far, and were slapped on the wrist for it.  Everyone pushes the boundaries on recruiting also, don't kid yourself there. 

They were the best team, and they beat the hardest teams on their schedule after the sign stealing bit came out.  They deserve this title.  Harbaugh can flat out coach, no matter what you think of him.  Wins everywhere he goes. 

You guys can poo poo cheating and rule breaking all you want but those rules exist for a reason and the teams/coaches that get caught breaking them can rightfully be called cheaters and have their accomplishments questioned because of it. It’s a load of horses#!t to dismiss it by saying everyone does it. If that were true there would be a whole lot more people caught doing it. So get out of here with that crap. Everyone speeds when they drive, doesn’t mean the ones who get caught aren’t breaking the law and don’t have to pay the consequences.

And I never said Harbaugh couldn’t coach or win or that Michigan was no good. I just pointed out that they cheated and that’s a fact.

And, btw, the way they went about stealing signs is not legal. They know it and the rule book knows it. They also broke recruiting contact rules and coaching limits. You can’t say “oh they just went a little too far”. That’s bulls#!t. Should everyone just ignore all the rules and limits?

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 4

You guys can poo poo cheating and rule breaking all you want but those rules exist for a reason and the teams/coaches that get caught breaking them can rightfully be called cheaters and have their accomplishments questioned because of it. It’s a load of horses#!t to dismiss it by saying everyone does it. If that were true there would be a whole lot more people caught doing it. So get out of here with that crap. Everyone speeds when they drive, doesn’t mean the ones who get caught aren’t breaking the law and don’t have to pay the consequences.

And I never said Harbaugh couldn’t coach or win or that Michigan was no good. I just pointed out that they cheated and that’s a fact.

And, btw, the way they went about stealing signs is not legal. They know it and the rule book knows it. They also broke recruiting contact rules and coaching limits. You can’t say “oh they just went a little too far”. That’s bulls#!t. Should everyone just ignore all the rules and limits?

Call it bull$#!t all you want, but it happens everywhere. You think the NCAA catches all the people who cheat? Use your own example with speeding.  Most do it, few get caught. Staffing shortages, way more drivers, etc. 

It isn't a load of horse poo at all to say everyone does it, you just don't want to hear it and don't like it.   Different levels of pushing boundaries I'll give you, or just being more creative than others, but it happens.  You're absolutely kidding yourself to believe otherwise in a billion dollar industry.

I don't know about all that. I'm just saying that when I look back at the history of college football championships I'm not going to have an asterisk on Michigan's. 

• TBH 1

3 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Call it bull$#!t all you want, but it happens everywhere. You think the NCAA catches all the people who cheat? Use your own example with speeding.  Most do it, few get caught. Staffing shortages, way more drivers, etc. 

It isn't a load of horse poo at all to say everyone does it, you just don't want to hear it and don't like it.   Different levels of pushing boundaries I'll give you, or just being more creative than others, but it happens.  You're absolutely kidding yourself to believe otherwise in a billion dollar industry.

It’s a cop out. Saying everyone does it, whether or not it’s true, just allows you to accept that cheating is okay. Why do they have any rules at all? According to your way of looking at it, rules are just a waste of time. So tell us, which ones are important? Which aren’t? It’s okay to break the rules and get caught as long as somebody else broke them and didn’t get caught? C’mon man.

• TBH 2
7 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

It’s a cop out. Saying everyone does it, whether or not it’s true, just allows you to accept that cheating is okay. Why do they have any rules at all? According to your way of looking at it, rules are just a waste of time. So tell us, which ones are important? Which aren’t? It’s okay to break the rules and get caught as long as somebody else broke them and didn’t get caught? C’mon man.

Where did I say it was ok? I said I believe everyone does it, that's different. You inferred I said somewhere that all rules can be broken whenever.  Personally I feel some things are more grave than others yes, do you feel every rule is as significant as all the rest? They got caught, they didn't have their HC on the sideline for 6 of 12 regular season games. What more do you want? 

Just feels like a lot of butthurt here about Michigan specifically and not about the state of things overall.

11 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Where did I say it was ok? I said I believe everyone does it, that's different. You inferred I said somewhere that all rules can be broken whenever.  Personally I feel some things are more grave than others yes, do you feel every rule is as significant as all the rest? They got caught, they didn't have their HC on the sideline for 6 of 12 regular season games. What more do you want? 

Just feels like a lot of butthurt here about Michigan specifically and not about the state of things overall.

Personally I feel the sign stealing rule is silly. Probably shouldn’t even exist. But I don’t think the rules should be subject to relativism. Lobby for changes but don’t pick and choose which should be followed and which can be ignored.

The problem I have with Michigan is twofold. 1- I don’t like their fans. They exude a we’re better than you attitude. I’ve never liked them since the 96 season and their bulls#!t split title. And 2- The sign stealing deal just happens to be another infraction in what has gotten to be a fairly lengthy list of rule infractions. Recruiting violations, contact period violations, analysts etc. engaging in prohibited activities. You might say cheating and flaunting the rules that exist has become somewhat of a habit for them under Harbaugh.

I don’t believe any of that gave them an additional win this year. But ffs, do it right instead of knowingly breaking the rules.

• TBH 1
10 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Personally I feel the sign stealing rule is silly. Probably shouldn’t even exist. But I don’t think the rules should be subject to relativism. Lobby for changes but don’t pick and choose which should be followed and which can be ignored.

The problem I have with Michigan is twofold. 1- I don’t like their fans. They exude a we’re better than you attitude. I’ve never liked them since the 96 season and their bulls#!t split title. And 2- The sign stealing deal just happens to be another infraction in what has gotten to be a fairly lengthy list of rule infractions. Recruiting violations, contact period violations, analysts etc. engaging in prohibited activities. You might say cheating and flaunting the rules that exist has become somewhat of a habit for them under Harbaugh.

I don’t believe any of that gave them an additional win this year. But ffs, do it right instead of knowingly breaking the rules.

Fair enough. All reasonable takes. While I agree with you in principle about rule following, I simply believe almost all teams knowingly break them here and there, with an organization as inept as the NCAA in charge and so much at stake.  My biggest beef is with the NCAA, and I kind of appreciate Harbaughs middle finger to the NCAA on stupid rules. I think most people in the sport feel the same and want to break free from these worthless, hypocritical anchors to the sport.

14 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

The problem I have with Michigan is twofold. 1- I don’t like their fans. They exude a we’re better than you attitude. I’ve never liked them since the 96 97season and their bulls#!t split title. And 2- The sign stealing deal just happens to be another infraction in what has gotten to be a fairly lengthy list of rule infractions. Recruiting violations, contact period violations, analysts etc. engaging in prohibited activities. You might say cheating and flaunting the rules that exist has become somewhat of a habit for them under Harbaugh.

FIFY ....  in Nebraska red since we would have trounced them more than we did Tenn.  I agree with your sentiments.   The Big 10 pretty much looked the other way.  I hope Harbaugh finds a NFL gig and Mich falls apart.  

• Plus1 1