Is Nebraska a "blue blood" program?

2 hours ago, Hilltop said:

You do realize their last "championship", was in 1960.  They finished 8-2- somehow ahead of the one loss Washington team that beat them in the Rose Bowl and ahead of undefeated Missouri, Yale & Ole Miss...  Sounds very "dominant" ... smh 

They voted for the champion before the bowl games up until 1968.

1 hour ago, Fru said:

I’ve never understood why the Minnesota comparison is so prevalent when discussing Neb’s modern day struggles. Acting like a program whose dominant era predated integration and any resemblance of the modern day game is somehow comparable to the what cfb has been for the last 40-50 years makes absolutely no sense to me. 

Some food for thought. From 1962 to 2003, Neb didn’t have a losing season. One .500 season in there, but never a losing season. No program can say that, let alone any of the 7 other blue blood programs. 

I also think the “Neb has been bad for 20 years” trope is largely overstated. Yes, we took a step back. But I ran the numbers in another thread a while back and from 2003-2016, Neb kept pace with most of our B1G peers for wins, losses, bowl games and top 25 finishes. The lion share of our “terrible” 20 year stretch is mostly indistinguishable from the likes of Iowa, Penn St and Michigan.

It’s obviously been historically bad since 2017. But Blue blood status doesn’t just go away because of a couple bad coaching hires and a bad 7 year stretch.

I feel like that is an easy cutoff line for me. You can find other reasons to move it up more maybe, but for sure no championships before integration should bear any relevance. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, desertshox said:

They voted for the champion before the bowl games up until 1968.

Well aware but that has absolutely zero bearing in this conversation.  Minnesota was far from dominant that year, and in no way compares to Nebraska's historical dominance.  They were a good football team that enjoyed the favor of more AP writers.  Many of which hadn't seen other teams play due to the availability of broadcasts in 1960.  I would also point out that Iowa, Missouri, Ole Miss, and Washington were all recognized as national champions that year by various organizations.  All of those schools claim a title that year.  It was a joke.  

Not to many years ago we were # 5 on that all-time win list.  Rhule will get us back to where we were.  

Blueblood  - no doubt about that. 

Interesting thread

For nearly four decades, the Cornhuskers were a team that always ran and rarely threw- but barely lost

It seems simplistic- 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Yet it worked for so long and so effectively.

It’s crazy to think in this pass-first era that we’re coming up on the 25 year anniversary of the all-time dominant 1995 Nebraska team, which played a style opposite of today’s air raid styles.

Look at LSU at the start of the decade- they seemed to play that old run first, pound and ground style. Now, they’ve basically become the Bayou equivalent of Spurrier’s Fun and Gun Gators

The Huskers became elite under Delaney in the late 60s and it took until 2004 for their dominance to finally slow down.

There was a stretch from 1991-2001 in which they lost TWO home games in11 years- it took an all-time great team (1991 Washington) and an all-time great Heisman winner (Ricky Williams, 1998 Texas) to win at Lincoln.

On the surface, it seems like they were a one trick pony- run, run, run, rarely pass.

But it worked with such devastating effectiveness. You think teams would have been able to catch up quickly, but it took eons for that to happen.

Look at what they did in the 1996 Fiesta Bowl against a Gator team that with basically the same roster won a title the very next season

Looking back, the sheer offensive numbers were remarkable- so much rushing yards, so few passing yards, so many big total offensive numbers, and such an insane W-L record

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football

Nebraska is among the most storied programs in college football history and has the eighth-most all-time victories among FBS teams.[3] Nebraska claims forty-six conference championships and five national championships (1970, 1971, 1994, 1995, and 1997), and has won six other national championships the school does not claim.[4] NU's 1971 and 1995 title-winning teams are considered among the best in college football history.[5] Famous Cornhuskers include Heisman Trophy winners Johnny Rodgers, Mike Rozier, and Eric Crouch, who join twenty-two other Cornhuskers in the College Football Hall of Fame. Notable among these are players Bob Brown, Guy Chamberlin, Tommie Frazier, Rich Glover, Dave Rimington, and Will Shields, and coaches Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne.[6]

The program's first extended period of success came just after the turn of the century. Between 1900 and 1916, Nebraska had five undefeated seasons and completed a stretch of thirty-four consecutive games without a loss, still a program record.[7] Despite a span of twenty-one conference championships in thirty-three seasons, the Cornhuskers didn't experience major national success until Bob Devaney was hired in 1962. In eleven seasons as head coach, Devaney won two national championships, eight conference titles, and coached twenty-two All-Americans, but perhaps his most lasting achievement was the hiring of Tom Osborne as offensive coordinator in 1969.[8] Osborne was named Devaney's successor in 1973, and over the next twenty-five years established himself as one of the best coaches in college football history with his trademark I-form offense and revolutionary strength, conditioning, and nutrition programs.[9][10][11]

• Plus1 2

5 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

I find this whole thread and posts ironic and amusing. Never thought i'd see the day a staunch Big 8 supporter would go out of there way to tarnish and question the credibility of the program that largely ran the Big8 until its end.

New year same trolls

It's either an Iowa or Colorado fan.  

Blueblood, IDK, we were team that had a good 30 year run. Look at Michigan they have been relevant for a century and quarter, alabama...century, Notre Dame...century. I think you really have to go through the different iterations of football and still be relevant to be called a blue blood. I mean if we dont come back on line in 10 Years you will have to be 50 years old to remember when Nebraska was decent. that doesnt scream blue blood to me...personally.

2 hours ago, BIG8forever said:

Blueblood, IDK, we were team that had a good 30 year run. Look at Michigan they have been relevant for a century and quarter, alabama...century, Notre Dame...century. I think you really have to go through the different iterations of football and still be relevant to be called a blue blood. I mean if we dont come back on line in 10 Years you will have to be 50 years old to remember when Nebraska was decent. that doesnt scream blue blood to me...personally.

You really don't know what you're talking about, right? All 3 of those schools went through periods of mediocrity and periods where they were excellent. Oddly similar to another school.

With that said carry on with the trolling.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 6