Most miles you ever put on a car?

Lots.  

But I also drove a skateboarder for 6 years.  From the state of Washington to all across the US.  Lots of miles.  Got to listen to some Pelini games, Riley games, and Frost games.  

Skateboard is slang for flatbedders :)

flatbed-trailer-with-cargo-2.jpg

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
27 minutes ago, admo said:

Lots.  

But I also drove a skateboarder for 6 years.  From the state of Washington to all across the US.  Lots of miles.  Got to listen to some Pelini games, Riley games, and Frost games.  

Skateboard is slang for flatbedders :)

flatbed-trailer-with-cargo-2.jpg

Why did you stop?

• Oh Yeah! 2

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Why did you stop?

I got burned out.  OTR (Over the road).  I wanted be home and have a normal life.  Home on weekends.  So I switched to driving local.  

At the time, Walmarts was paying super good (6 figures).  But for years before that all Drivers knew that Walmarts was the gold standard.   It just was mysterious and crazy to get on with them. 

Heard from 50+ drivers that they might hire a guy that has 2 years driving experience, plus an accident, and yet, they turn down the Driver who has 10 years of perfect record. Not nobody can figure it out. 

I was about to apply with them at the time, but I found a really good local gig, doing 10 hours a day, local.  I have a lot of free time.  And it pays well.

I'm happy.  I'm home every night.  I'm cooking.  I'm living normal.  My GF is happy.  My fam is happy.  I'm not a super trucker from the 80s that drove 15-18 hours illegaly every day and snort coke.....Driving 62 mph max.  I hate those super truckers and their stories.  If you hate the bada$$ Firemen mentality, than you know what I mean. 

OTR is like this - if the wheels aren't rolling, you're not getting paid.  But you can drive only so much lawfully.  

Local - You paid your dues.  Now You get paid hourly Plus OT and you do 10-12hrs per day.  At FedEx you do that and get $1250-$1400 a week with the right route, with only 3-4 stops a day, and less than 100 miles total.  Mostly just waiting on warehouses to load and unload.  Drive. Park. Sit. Wait. Unload.  Load.  Roll out.  Repeat a couple times.  It's super easy.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Worth a Look 1
6 hours ago, admo said:

I got burned out.  OTR (Over the road).  I wanted be home and have a normal life.  Home on weekends.  So I switched to driving local.  

At the time, Walmarts was paying super good (6 figures).  But for years before that all Drivers knew that Walmarts was the gold standard.   It just was mysterious and crazy to get on with them. 

Heard from 50+ drivers that they might hire a guy that has 2 years driving experience, plus an accident, and yet, they turn down the Driver who has 10 years of perfect record. Not nobody can figure it out. 

I was about to apply with them at the time, but I found a really good local gig, doing 10 hours a day, local.  I have a lot of free time.  And it pays well.

I'm happy.  I'm home every night.  I'm cooking.  I'm living normal.  My GF is happy.  My fam is happy.  I'm not a super trucker from the 80s that drove 15-18 hours illegaly every day and snort coke.....Driving 62 mph max.  I hate those super truckers and their stories.  If you hate the bada$$ Firemen mentality, than you know what I mean. 

OTR is like this - if the wheels aren't rolling, you're not getting paid.  But you can drive only so much lawfully.  

Local - You paid your dues.  Now You get paid hourly Plus OT and you do 10-12hrs per day.  At FedEx you do that and get $1250-$1400 a week with the right route, with only 3-4 stops a day, and less than 100 miles total.  Mostly just waiting on warehouses to load and unload.  Drive. Park. Sit. Wait. Unload.  Load.  Roll out.  Repeat a couple times.  It's super easy.  

So I have heard some "urban legend" type stories about those OTR truckers back in the day.  What kinds of things do they say they did?

• Plus1 1
  • Worth a Look 1
18 hours ago, teachercd said:

So I have heard some "urban legend" type stories about those OTR truckers back in the day.  What kinds of things do they say they did?

Everything.  They been there and done that.  Seen this and that.  Did this and that.  They love to talk about it at the Truck stops.  Driving 18-20 hours straight every night or else you're not a real Trucker.

Well it's not the 70s or 80s anymore.  And we are not called Super Truckers or Truckers.  We are called drivers.  

If you are at a truck stop for the night, and turn on your CB radio (mine is hot, meaning this guy rigged it for me so that I can here s#!t from like 100 miles away).....you will here some crazy stuff, funny, entertaining, and truck preachers.  After awhile it's all the same and boring.

The worse part is after a nice shower and meal at the truck stop, you climb into your cabin, get comfy on the bed ready to fall asleep and hear the tapping on your door.  

That "knock knock knock" is coming from a lot lizzard....  don't open it because she will tell you she just wants to come in and talk for $20 so she can .....(whatever the hustle is)...... which will then lead to offering services for more money because she needs .......(another story for the hustle)......

Just don't open the door man.  And pray she stops knocking after a few tries and that she doesn't circle back when you are in REM sleep.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, admo said:

Everything.  They been there and done that.  Seen this and that.  Did this and that.  They love to talk about it at the Truck stops.  Driving 18-20 hours straight every night or else you're not a real Trucker.

Well it's not the 70s or 80s anymore.  And we are not called Super Truckers or Truckers.  We are called drivers.  

If you are at a truck stop for the night, and turn on your CB radio (mine is hot, meaning this guy rigged it for me so that I can here s#!t from like 100 miles away).....you will here some crazy stuff, funny, entertaining, and truck preachers.  After awhile it's all the same and boring.

The worse part is after a nice shower and meal at the truck stop, you climb into your cabin, get comfy on the bed ready to fall asleep and hear the tapping on your door.  

That "knock knock knock" is coming from a lot lizzard....  don't open it because she will tell you she just wants to come in and talk for $20 so she can .....(whatever the hustle is)...... which will then lead to offering services for more money because she needs .......(another story for the hustle)......

Just don't open the door man.  And pray she stops knocking after a few tries and that she doesn't circle back when you are in REM sleep.  

I bet they LOVE talking about driving through horrible weather too.  

• TBH 1

220,000ish 2006 Honda Pilot. Nothing wrong with it, just felt it was time in 2015 or 2016. Bought a Durango that inexplicably caught on fire at 80,000

300,000-400,000 on a Dodge Diesel. Nothing wrong with it either, just didn’t needed a truck anymore. I loved the pur of that thing 

Have a friend who drove a Chevy Silverado to at least 300,000. He would call my husband for every milestone the truck made-husband’s a ford guy. He was elected as a house representative and felt like he needed to trade up for image. Although I don’t think he bought new and it actually kinda of looks like his old blue one 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Loebarth said:

Nissan Hard Body Truck.

208K, sold it to a co-worker who gave it to his son. I saw the son 2 years later (approximately) and asked him if he was still driving the truck, he said 220K and still going strong. On a side note: When I sold it there wasn't a speck of rust on it. Hard Body Truck

Was that the Marty McFly black truck in Back to the Future???

• Plus1 2