Facility Funding Discussion

30 minutes ago, Micheal said:

I wonder if a restaurant/hotel tax in Lincoln would be the thing to happen with any public funding for the stadium. As it is those businesses that would be benefitting the most from events at Memorial? 

As a Royals fan I am concerned. I don't want them to go cray cray like the Athletics. I'm hoping they can get feedback from those opposed against the stadium, make some changes, add Crown Vision to the concepts and get a new stadium built. New stadium can be in the East Village, North Kansas City, Legends, I do not care as long as it is in the KC metro. 

I think Kauffman is beautiful as is but. 

Being a Rockies fan (you heard that right) and seeing what Coors did for downtown is impressive.  KC's downtown, at least when I lived close, was an afterthought.  I think a plan like this can go a long way in making it a place to live, work, play, etc.  The KC sports complex, in my eyes, is awful.  There's nothing around it, yeah, sure, maybe the tailgating is good but whatever.  The renderings were awesome.  I much prefer a downtown setting.

Which is why you can NEVER move Memorial, unless it's a block over.  All these people wanting a dome halfway between Omaha and Lincoln don't get it.  Go to a game at KSU then Lincoln.  Totally different experience and one is way better!  I only get back to one game a year but I absolutely LOVE the experience of staying downtown and walking through campus to the game.  If they ever moved it away from that area I honestly don't know if I'd bother, probably just watch on the flat screen.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Twinkletoes Flintstone said:

Being a Rockies fan (you heard that right) and seeing what Coors did for downtown is impressive.  KC's downtown, at least when I lived close, was an afterthought.  I think a plan like this can go a long way in making it a place to live, work, play, etc.  The KC sports complex, in my eyes, is awful.  There's nothing around it, yeah, sure, maybe the tailgating is good but whatever.  The renderings were awesome.  I much prefer a downtown setting.

Which is why you can NEVER move Memorial, unless it's a block over.  All these people wanting a dome halfway between Omaha and Lincoln don't get it.  Go to a game at KSU then Lincoln.  Totally different experience and one is way better!  I only get back to one game a year but I absolutely LOVE the experience of staying downtown and walking through campus to the game.  If they ever moved it away from that area I honestly don't know if I'd bother, probably just watch on the flat screen.

It is wild the attendance that Coors Field does, last year it looks like it was 13th in the league. Wow, with the team that the owners have put on the field lately that is impressive. Also I hope the Rockies get a new owner soon. 

I have wondered why the Royals didn't try to build a downtown bar/restuarant/shopping district near Kauffman. The Braves for example, are not downtown, but they built a district around Truist Ballpark that is like it. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Twinkletoes Flintstone said:

I have also thought about the sales tax aspect of this.  But maybe it's tied to Lincoln hotels and a bit heftier than 1/8 cent.  

Not to thread jack, but what do the Royals do now?  I'm surprised the ballot measure failed.  IS a KC KS burb willing to do it?

Royals will still end up in or near downtown I believe. Chiefs may end up in Kansas near the racetrack.  

• Plus1 2
23 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Good questions.

First off, the tax situation in Nebraska right now is such a hot topic right now that I think if this were to be proposed, it would make people's heads explode.  

Nah...my head is just fine...

23 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes, the football team is important to the state.  However, economically, the VAST majority of it is in Lincoln.  I, personally, would have some issues with me sitting in small town central Nebraska being charged the same sales tax for the stadium as people sitting in Lincoln where the vast majority of the economic benefit is.  Maybe Lincoln needs to have an additional 1% sales tax.  I go shopping in Lincoln, so I would still be paying some of it.

OK...there it goes!

U of MN built a new stadium 15 years ago and was paid for 40% by the State of Minnesota and 60% by the University.  It only cost $300M (in 2009 dollars), but seats just 50k.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntington_Bank_Stadium

Stadium proposal

The push for a new on-campus stadium for Golden Gopher football began in the fall of 2000. The university cited poor revenue and lack of a college football atmosphere at the off-campus Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome as their main reasons for wanting to move back on campus.[13][14] A plan for a joint Minnesota Vikings/University of Minnesota football stadium was proposed in 2002, but differences over how the stadium would be designed and managed, as well as state budget constraints, led to the plan's failure.[15] In September 2003 a highly publicized attempt was made by T. Denny Sanford to be the lead donor for the project, but in early 2004 the plan fell through when the two parties were unable to come to an agreement on the financial terms.[16] The university unveiled preliminary stadium drawings and a general plan to seek state money and donations in December 2003. On March 24, 2005, the university and TCF Bank announced a deal that would have the bank contribute $35 million towards the project which would give them naming rights.[17] The deal was given an expiration date of December 31, 2005; time enough for the Minnesota Legislature to provide the bulk of funding needed to make the project a reality.[18]

During the remainder of 2005 the university concentrated on drafting a stadium proposal that would draw the support of state politicians. The final plan proposed that the state of Minnesota would contribute 40% of the stadium cost while the university would raise the remaining 60% on its own. Portions of that 60% were to be funded by the TCF naming rights, while the remainder would come from a $50 per semester student fee, private donations, the sale of 2,840 acres (11.5 km2) of university land in rural Dakota County back to the state, and game day parking revenue.[17] Even though the university proposal drew widespread legislative support, the stadium effort suffered a setback when the 2005 legislative session ended before the stadium bill could be heard.[19] Late in 2005 when it became evident that this would happen, the university and TCF Bank announced that it had extended the naming rights deal to June 30, 2006.[18]

Despite the 2005 session having ended with the bill not coming to a vote, the stadium effort did not lose momentum in the legislature and was introduced quickly in the 2006 session. On April 6, 2006, the Minnesota House of Representatives passed the stadium bill on a 103–30 vote.[20] The house bill was nearly identical to what the university was proposing and had full university support.[21] However, on May 9, 2006, the Minnesota Senate passed a radically different version of the bill on a 34–32 vote.[22] The Senate version would have removed the TCF naming rights deal, the student fees, and the purchase of the university owned land. The proposed funding that was removed was to be replaced with a statewide tax on sports memorabilia. It also would have required the stadium to be named Veterans Memorial Stadium (similar to the previous on-campus football stadium Memorial Stadium, which was last used in 1981 and demolished in 1992).[11] Governor Tim Pawlenty stated he supported the House version.[23] He signed the bill in May 2006 at the University of Minnesota McNamara Alumni Center.[24]

Legislative approval 2006

Even though the differences between the House and Senate bills were major, the details were ironed out and approved on May 19, in a House–Senate conference committee. The naming rights and land sale remained in the bill, as did a scaled down $25 per year student fee. The tax on sports memorabilia as well as the Veterans Memorial Stadium name were voted out. The committee also voted to increase the state contribution to the project to compensate for the smaller student fees.[25] The compromise bill was then approved by both the full house and senate on May 20, and was signed by Governor Tim Pawlenty on May 24.[26][27][28]

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
On 4/5/2024 at 5:00 PM, Twinkletoes Flintstone said:

KSU isn’t bad.  And their stadium is way better.  

Went twice last year.  Enjoyed it.

Edit:  Getting laughs.  Unlikely anyone has been there in a while.  It's far different than what I remember when Taylor Martinez (2010) ran wild.  They have a concourse that has tons of room.  You don't feel like cattle.  You can watch the game standing comfortably from multiple locations.  You don't have to choose between a hot dog, valentinos or runza because they have options.  The bathrooms were not like I was behind a barn at the Saline County fair.  And we walked from campus which took 5-10 minutes.  The stadium was surrounded by tailgating.  

It was the most enjoyable experience for watching a game I've had in a while.  It actually made me a supporter of what Trev was trying to do.  Memorial Stadium is a dinosaur.  I think they've done a phenomenal job of trying to lipstick the pig, but it's time for a Chip & Joanna job.

• Haha 2
On 4/6/2024 at 10:04 PM, gobiggergoredder said:

KSU isn’t bad.  And their stadium is way better.  

Went twice last year.  Enjoyed it.

Edit:  Getting laughs.  Unlikely anyone has been there in a while.  It's far different than what I remember when Taylor Martinez (2010) ran wild.  They have a concourse that has tons of room.  You don't feel like cattle.  You can watch the game standing comfortably from multiple locations.  You don't have to choose between a hot dog, valentinos or runza because they have options.  The bathrooms were not like I was behind a barn at the Saline County fair.  And we walked from campus which took 5-10 minutes.  The stadium was surrounded by tailgating.  

It was the most enjoyable experience for watching a game I've had in a while.  It actually made me a supporter of what Trev was trying to do.  Memorial Stadium is a dinosaur.  I think they've done a phenomenal job of trying to lipstick the pig, but it's time for a Chip & Joanna job.

I went to KState.  They have done a nice job with all the updates they've done there.  I was just saying the location sucks.  JMO.  The point being though, Memorial needs to be where it is.  I agree though about what Trev was trying to do.  

17 minutes ago, Twinkletoes Flintstone said:

I went to KState.  They have done a nice job with all the updates they've done there.  I was just saying the location sucks.  JMO.  The point being though, Memorial needs to be where it is.  I agree though about what Trev was trying to do.  

I agree.  The location of memorial stadium is ideal.  The place needs work.