College Football “Super League”?

6 hours ago, Display name required said:

It would be good for college sports but we could lose a huge advantage over non big ten and sec schools and it’s vary possible that we would make less money at the same time 

Agree. And especially when the article mentioned uneven revenue sharing, possibly by school or "conference", where would be Nebraska's seat at the table? 

There'd have to be equal revenue sharing of TV income and even some levels of marketing income (NIL commercialization, t-shirts, and etc.) or 10-20 schools will always be gifted a financial advantage, and most of those schools probably already have the advantage of residing in the most fertile recruiting areas.

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, Display name required said:

It would be good for college sports but we could lose a huge advantage over non big ten and sec schools and it’s vary possible that we would make less money at the same time 

I'd be willing to do what's good for college sports. 

23 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It doesn't get talked about much, but conference realignment has been 100% driven by football, and most schools have another 20+ athletic programs forced to follow along. The Pac 10 and ACC/Big10 mergers in particular will add a large burden to sports that can't afford it, especially the travel schedules that aren't conducive to athletes, students, and tight budgets. 

I'm wondering if the growth of women's volleyball and men's and women's basketball might allow other people in on the decision. A return to geographic alignment could make a lot of sense for both monetary and rivalry reasons. 

Depends, if those sports that you mentioned start get really popular and generate big revenue it seems that it would create less of a need to go back.

I wish it would go back, I miss short road trips.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

If this goes through, years from now, fans looking at stats and records will only really be able to compare in the “super league era”. 

As far as records and stats, anything before that becomes meaningless. 

Comparing stats and records now is pretty much meaningless.  In the 70s, 80s, and 90s, teams only played 11 games and bowl games didn't count towards official stats.  Now everyone plays 12 games and bowl game stats count.

And until the mid-70s freshmen couldn't play.  And now we'll have a 5 year window due to Covid where you will have guys who play for 5 years.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

AKA let's just put the conferences mainly back together from what they were 20 years ago...

So, would the Plains Div be comparable to old Big 12 North or Big 10 West - weak  - I think we could do well in it.