O-Line vs D-Line

Syzygyone

I love this talk about the lineman. I think the line of scrimmage is key to this game. You guys are right on. It's rare you talk about a game and the line of scrimmage is the center of the topic. We are so used to hearing about QB's this and RB's that ect. You guys are smart football fans. My hats off to you Huskers. I agree the biggest battle of this game to watch will be in the trenches. How will our speed matchup to your size. It's going to be fun to watch. If we are firing on all cylinders like MrAubie stated, we'll be hard to beat. However if we don't play a complete game, it will be a long day for us and a great one for you. I am still very excited about this matchup. I think you are a better team than your record shows.

Just FYI if I did my math right, our defense averaged pts allowed was 14 pts per game in 12 games.

personally, i would rather give up some weight and have the speed advantage....i think we are missing the boat always recruiting the biggest guys and not looking for faster feet/guys..this is a huge factor

Bull. Any coach looks for speed. Everyone likes to talk about McBride and how somehow the "light" went on and he started getting speed. If you actually ask him, that idea always bothered him. Why? Because he'll tell you they always went after speed, they just started getting them finally.

Nebraska

OPEN DE:

44 JAY MOORE**, 6-4, 280, Sr.

99 Barry Turner*, 6-3, 250, So.

DT:

94 Barry Cryer*, 6-2, 280, Sr.

43 Ty Steinkuhler, 6-3, 280, So.

NT:

54 Ola Dagunduro*, 6-2, 300, Sr.

93 Ndamukong Suh, 6-4, 305, So.

BASE DE:

90 ADAM CARRIKER***, 6-6, 295, Sr.

98 Zach Potter*, 6-7, 280, So.

Avg. Weight: 283.75

LSU

RE

No. 94 Chase Pittman, 6'4", 273, SR*

No. 52 Ryan Willis, 6'5", 269, SR**

LE

No. 93 Tyson Jackson, 6'5", 292, SO*

No. 90 Ricky Jean Francois, 6'3", 281, RSFR

LT

No. 72 Glen Dorsey, 6'2", 299, JR*

No. 97 Al Woods, 6'5", 325, FR

RT

No. 91 Charles Alexander, 6'3", 294, SO

No. 99 Marlon Favorite, 6'1", 300, SO

Avg. Weight: 291.63

Florida

DE

20 Joe Cohen (Jr., 6-2, 275)

93 Steven Harris (Jr., 6-4, 281)

DT

44 Marcus Thomas (Jr., 6-3, 285)

93 Steven Harris (Jr., 6-4, 281)

DT

95 Ray McDonald (Jr., 6-3, 285)

98 Clint McMillan (So., 6-1, 282)

DE

57 Jeremy Mincey (Sr., 6-4, 265)

91 Derrick Harvey (Fr., 6-4, 260)

Avg. Weight: 276.75

So ya see, we've done well against both heavier and lighter defenses, which leaves me where I was before tonight... in the dark as to which type of defense is better against Auburn.

I love this talk about the lineman. I think the line of scrimmage is key to this game. You guys are right on. It's rare you talk about a game and the line of scrimmage is the center of the topic. We are so used to hearing about QB's this and RB's that ect. You guys are smart football fans. My hats off to you Tigers. I agree the biggest battle of this game to watch will be in the trenches. How will our speed matchup to your size. It's going to be fun to watch. If we are firing on all cylinders ---------, we'll be hard to beat. However if we don't play a complete game, it will be a long day for us and a great one for you. I am still very excited about this matchup. I think you are a better team than your record shows.

---

Right back at ya WarTeddy :)

This game will be decided early I think. If Nebraska can handle the speed of Auburn's defense we win this one going away. Getting beat on by a good ole 300+ boy all day long makes the day a lot longer for the smaller guy.

If Auburn's quickness can disrupt Nebraska's flow then we will have a lot of problems.

We have traveled to the south with big old boys before, I think it was Auburn's little sister school Alabama. They were way to quick for us. We kinda looked like elephants batting at flies.

Should be a great game, with great fans on both sides. I spent the Texas game with a couple of Auburn fans, great people, great fans. I hope the game lives up to both teams/fans expectations. Just ours a little more.

This will be tough for us. they might not be big, but they have a lot of speed.

yep, that is what i have been trying to say.......some don't agree, that is fine, but i am telling you, speed kills and is a huge advantage on both sides of the ball and at all positions....big and slow doesn't mean sh#t unless you can lay a solid lick on your guy, who with speed will make your job difficult (shoot the gaps) and a big guy can get just as tired trying to move and step up to block the faster smaller guys too......it works both ways......most of the SEC teams field really fast guys at all positions......

Mr. Aubie,

I thought you guys would appreciate that.

I have always respected small quick defensive lines, the question I have, does Auburn have quality depth when those kids get tired of running around the big ole boys.

I think everyone is correct about this game. Skill players are pretty equal I think, but the lines will be the key.

That is if we have a running back healthy enough to play.

I wish I was going to this game. I would truly like to spend some time with our Auburn friends.

Hopefully next year in the NC game.

Mr. Aubie,

I thought you guys would appreciate that.

I have always respected small quick defensive lines, the question I have, does Auburn have quality depth when those kids get tired of running around the big ole boys.

I think everyone is correct about this game. Skill players are pretty equal I think, but the lines will be the key.

That is if we have a running back healthy enough to play.

I wish I was going to this game. I would truly like to spend some time with our Auburn friends.

Hopefully next year in the NC game.

Thanks skersfan,

Yep I got a kick out of that. I've been an AU fan since 1961 and lived through all the "Bear" years.

To answer your question, we are at least 2 deep at EVERY position, with almost no drop-off in talent. And IMO we have one of the best strength and conditioning coaches around (Yox) so fatigue is not an issue. Coach Tubberville has done an incredible job with our program. It is the best I have ever seen it, seriously. In the past we may have a good year and then be totally mediocre for 5 years. Old timers like me got used to 3 and outs. That's why AU fans are so jacked on our program now.

Last year's Capital One bowl was a disaster. Wisconsin's "big ole boys" tossed us around like gnats. Same with Arksansas this year. The Georgia game to me was an anomoly, we should have won that game and were still in it at the start of the 2nd half even though we were down. Our biggest problem this year has been inconsistent play. For the first time I can ever remember, Coach Tubbs got pizzed during the Florida game, and at halftime challenged the defense to step it up, and you know the result.

If our guys on defense stay at home and do their jobs I think we will be OK. The only player I worry about is #21 LB Dede. He is consistently out of position and overrunning plays. And for some reason they love to put him at starting MLB. So if he is in there, tell Callahan to run it up the middle all day long. :hmmph

On our plus side, RB Kenny Irons and QB Brandon Cox are both 100% after battling injuries all year.

The Huskers are a more than worthy opponent and all AU fans are excited about this matchup. My gut instinct is this could be a high-scoring affair. You guys have some beasts on defense and I know your offense is darn good. Hope we show up and make a great game of it.

One thing about Callahan is that we've played much, much better after some time off. We looked like a different team against Michigan last year after the bowl prep time. I think NU will be firing on all cylinders, so hopefully AU will be also. And we can all enjoy a great game to start out the new year. I give a slight (slightly biased) edge to the Huskers in this one. Our offense will be the difference because it's been so balanced this year.

Also, I think it'll be low-scoring due to both D-lines controlling the LOS for most of the game.