Wilson and Glenn

Does anyone think that this could potentially hinder their improvement? My opinin is that first, both of them coming back healthy and as strong & fast as they were last year would not be a bad thing at all (both of them are pretty darn good in this department), and second, this will allow them to improve their football skills because they will be ready for spring practice (Wilson probably needs the most improvement here, mainly fumbling and pass blocking).

It's just that winter conditioning is where most players put on more muscle and improve speed. Thus, they will not get the opportunity to do it this year.

Also, I know this is stupid, but I put Glenn at fullback in NCAA 2007, and he was a terror from that position. I know that Callahan would have to use the fullback more than he currently does to get the production, but would that necessarily be a bad thing?

I think that it is going to hurt them. I heard Mendoza ran the third fastest forty time in winter conditioning. Im not saying that he is going to take them out but him and Castille are gonna push for playing time. Glenn is a power back and in my opinion as far as game plans his direct competition is Castille. If Callahan wants to pound it out then he is going to want to put a big back in there like he did at Iowa St. It appears on film that Castille has more talent than Glenn, but Glenn has more experience. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out. I think as far as Wilson he has all the physical tools he just needs to learn the offense, blocking schemes and hold onto the ball. He has Luckys speed in Glenns body, what more could you ask for? I really think Lucky will be the solid number one next year. He made vast improvements this year from last and he is only going to get stronger faster and more knowledge of the offense. This really helps Mendoza since he may get more reps in spring practice if they are still not 100%.

well, as we all know, this O is complicated and the new guys will need all the reps they can get.......should be interesting though

No one on the team is practicing. This is conditioning.

If they aren't healthy enough to condition, then they aren't healthy enough. Be ready for spring ball...

Its not just conditioning, its lifting, speed camp type stuff, its getting bigger faster and stronger. If you lift to hard and strain what you have already injured it would mean you cant do spring ball either.
Of course, but he was refferring to reps and how complex the offense was. Not sure how much lifting and running helps you understand the offense.

Of course, they will have to work harder once they are healthy to get ready for spring ball if they aren't participating in winter conditioning.

well, as we all know, this O is complicated and the new guys will need all the reps they can get.......should be interesting though

No one on the team is practicing. This is conditioning.

If they aren't healthy enough to condition, then they aren't healthy enough. Be ready for spring ball...

what i meant was, poorer conditioning or lack of overall conditioning probably will lead to less time on the practice field this spring......the guys with burst and showing physical ability will most likely see the majority of the reps.....don't you think?

From the Lincoln Journal Star:

Husker I-backs limping

Two Nebraska I-backs won’t be participating in winter conditioning drills, which began this week.

Junior Kenny Wilson, slowed late this season by a knee injury, underwent surgery Thursday to correct an undisclosed problem with the knee. His status for spring practice is uncertain.

Meanwhile, sophomore Cody Glenn is rehabilitating a foot injury suffered Nov. 11 at Texas A&M. He missed the last three games.

“It’s a ligament problem, they tell him,” said Wayne Mahaffey, Glenn’s former coach at Rusk (Texas) High School. “It’s not a surgery situation. The target is to be ready for spring ball.”

Listed this season at 6-foot and 230 pounds, Glenn wants to shed about 10 pounds before spring drills commence in March, Mahaffey said.

“He wants to prove he has a little more versatility,” the coach said. “He wants to be a little quicker.”