Yes, I have been very critical of Coz, and no, I don't know more the Coz or Callahan. Hey, have to say that if the NFL is looking at him, he must have some positives (they aren't really in the market to lose football games). But I do know two things...

1. Our last two year's defensive rankings will not win us national championships.

2. If you want to blame the players for not being talented enough, isn't it the coaches job to recruit talented players?

I'll give Coz one thing and one thing only: When Callahan first started we were very depleted on the offensive side of the ball to run the WCO offense and we had a pretty talented defense. Thus, our recruiting focus HAD to be on offense. As you can see this year, we are trying to make up for that. I'm willing to give him 2 more years before I call for his head.

yep, two more years will be enough for me too......as for the NFL, quite frankly there is damn little to chose from that has experience in the league...Cos happens to be one of them......

Well, I am the average high school coach and board poster, but I am assuming that stuckinchicago wasn't necessarily referring to me specifically, because if anyone checks almost all of my posts, I rarely criticize coaches for personnel issues or play calling.......so, with that said, I agree with almost all of your post chicago....

As far as the DB's coverage is concerned.... I somewhat agree.... you are better off giving a catch in front of the CB instead of putting a guy in position to obviously get beat deep...

Now, my "average high school" coach's opinion on the deep ball coverage...

Everyone always "complains" about DBs not "looking back"..... if you remember correctly, this is the same technique that Darlington taught, and is taught in the NFL..... a CB should only turn and look for the ball if he is in PERFECT position....meaning, he has contact with the WR.....yes, you are allowed to have a hand on the WR..... if you have lost contact, by turning around, you have basically given up ANY CHANCE of making a play on the man if you are "late" or "miss" on your "look"......looking back SLOWS you down immensly !!!

If you have contact with the WR with your outside hand, read the eyes, and look and swim with inside hand.....

If you watch, many deep balls are not picked by CBs, they are S helping over the top....most of CB picks come from out routes either played great by the CB or thrown poorly by the QB....

You will never see a CB "look back" for the ball unless he is in contact..... Good coaching by many professional coaches !!!!

Now, I am an "average high school" coach, and do NOT CLAIM TO KNOW MUCH..... but I stand by my opinion that although Coz is okay, I LOVE MARVIN SANDERS and would trade Coz for him in a second.

Im pretty sure that putting in wide recievers who have never played a game on the d-1 level, like Tyrell Spain, or putting in Thenarse, who admitted to getting beat every play during Cotton Bowl practices would be a bad idea, so Im gonna trust Elmo, and I guess by hunter's speculation in the face of evidence, Coz's decisions. Those defensive ranking arent gonna win us national titles.... well guess what ladies and gentlemen, that secondary was not gonna win us a national title no matter who the damn coach was, and frankly, our offense wasnt gonna win us a national title. WE WERENT GOOD ENOUGH IN ANY PHASE OF THE GAME. Call it lack of coaching, Im gonna call it the fact that we have one top ten recruting class on that field, and the teams that played for the national title have more, and the teams that we lost to with the exception of ok st, have more. They were better teams. Guys on our side were blowing assignments, our offense couldnt execute towards the end of the year, we have special teams melt downs. None of these has anything to do with the defensive scheme that we were running, and certainly none of this has to do with our linebacker play. OUR DEFENSE ACTUALLY CAME UP BIG IN OUR BIG GAMES!!! WHAT THE HELL MORE DO YOU WANT FROM COZ? A ROBOT THAT CAN PLAY CORNER FOR US?

Well, I am the average high school coach and board poster, but I am assuming that stuckinchicago wasn't necessarily referring to me specifically, because if anyone checks almost all of my posts, I rarely criticize coaches for personnel issues or play calling.......so, with that said, I agree with almost all of your post chicago....

As far as the DB's coverage is concerned.... I somewhat agree.... you are better off giving a catch in front of the CB instead of putting a guy in position to obviously get beat deep...

Now, my "average high school" coach's opinion on the deep ball coverage...

Everyone always "complains" about DBs not "looking back"..... if you remember correctly, this is the same technique that Darlington taught, and is taught in the NFL..... a CB should only turn and look for the ball if he is in PERFECT position....meaning, he has contact with the WR.....yes, you are allowed to have a hand on the WR..... if you have lost contact, by turning around, you have basically given up ANY CHANCE of making a play on the man if you are "late" or "miss" on your "look"......looking back SLOWS you down immensly !!!

If you have contact with the WR with your outside hand, read the eyes, and look and swim with inside hand.....

If you watch, many deep balls are not picked by CBs, they are S helping over the top....most of CB picks come from out routes either played great by the CB or thrown poorly by the QB....

You will never see a CB "look back" for the ball unless he is in contact..... Good coaching by many professional coaches !!!!

Now, I am an "average high school" coach, and do NOT CLAIM TO KNOW MUCH..... but I stand by my opinion that although Coz is okay, I LOVE MARVIN SANDERS and would trade Coz for him in a second.

damn straight skippy!

Calm down Chi boy, don't blow a gasket.

You hit it pretty much spot on. It amazes me how almost every single talking head thinks we are so much better, even the totally hated Mark MAY. They see the forward movement, but we seem to be always trying to move the team backwards.

Talent wins games, if you really add the class ranking up, I doubt we have a top ten class in the barn. Still a long ways behind the top programs, but they started seriously recuriting 10 years ago. We did not. BC is the only coach to understand the importance of it, yea and that guy most of us hate.

I truly think a great job of coaching has been done to get the kids to play to the level they are. Most recruiting gurus would say they are playing way above thier heads. Some one must know something.

how about we win a game, we are not supposed to win first...even Prince and K-state have passed that test...in 3 years we have failed to "STEP UP".....that is a measuring stick anyone can use....

We weren't supposed to beat CU and Michigan in 05. Are those games good enough or is there a different way to "measure" games we are not supposed to win? I can't rember weren't we road dogs to A&M this year as well?

michigan is the only legtimate over achieving game......in 3 years time, coupled with losses to teams we should have beaten, that hardly cuts it for me......

17.5 point dogs to CU last year doesn't cut it? The K-State game you brought up was a 16.5 point spread at home. Beating a team by 27 on the road when you were 17 point dogs is not over achieving? Just wondering.

ok, numbers can make a case for anything......sh#t, let's show up and beat someone other than Big 12 competition.....someone with a storied program......again, i guess i missed all the wild celebrating and national spotlight we got for beating those 2 teams......

None of the National Media said nothing when we beat Michigan. :madash I believe that win got more attention then KSU beating Texas. Also isn't Michigan a non Big 12 team with a storied tradition? <_<

Anyway back to the topic. I don't think Coz is going anywhere. Nobody knows who the Vikes are even looking at since their coach is getting ready Senior Bowl and hasn't talked to the media.

From the Lincoln Journal Star today:

Coz speculation

At this point, the Kevin Cosgrove-Minnesota Vikings buzz is just that -- speculation.

Two Minnesota Vikings beat reporters said today they have heard nothing concrete regarding the possibility of Cosgrove taking over as the NFL team's defensive coordinator in the wake of Pittsburgh hiring Mike Tomlin as head coach.

Tomlin, 34, was introduced Monday in Pittsburgh after a season in which Minnesota ranked No. 8 in the NFL in total defense.

Cosgrove, 51, is a good friend of Vikings head coach Brad Childress. They worked together as assistants on staffs at Illinois in the early 1980s and Wisconsin throughout the 1990s, with Childress coaching offense and Cosgrove defense.

Cosgrove, as Nebraska's defensive coordinator, has an annual salary of $225,000 (he's signed through Jan. 31, 2008). Last year at this time, Childress offered Cosgrove the job as Vikings' linebackers coach. That offer was in the $300,000 to $400,000 range.

A defensive coordinator position with the Vikes would be worth in excess of $500,000 annually.

Being a Viking fan since day one, I can only laugh at what coz would be getting into in Viking land. If you think the Husker D/Bs were bad, they would look like "ALL PROS" compared to what the Vikings have for D/Bs. Some where he must be thinking he would be going from the frying pan to the fire. Have any of you seen Fred Smoot try to cover anyone this season. Give me Grixby any day. LOL....

GBR!!!

• 10 months later...